The Stax Thread III
Feb 7, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #19,846 of 25,522
Quick question for the wise Stax Mafia. I am thinking about getting the Stax SR-009. Where does the KGST sits in terms of ranking between KGSS Carbon, standard KGSS and the Stax made amps? I tried an SR-009 with blue hawaii years ago and it made a huge impression on me!
I am no Stax Mafia but i am sure the KGST are totally different thing to the KGSS/KGSShv/KGSShv Carbon, its should lean more towards the BHSE signature.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #19,847 of 25,522
I am no Stax Mafia but i am sure the KGST are totally different thing to the KGSS/KGSShv/KGSShv Carbon, its should lean more towards the BHSE signature.
That's really good news. I was really impressed with the BHSE and SR-009 combo! Thank you!

Btw your collection is amazing. The ATH-L3000 and Sony R10 I have heard before and they are such unique headphones!

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #19,848 of 25,522
That's really good news. I was really impressed with the BHSE and SR-009 combo! Thank you!

Btw your collection is amazing. The ATH-L3000 and Sony R10 I have heard before and they are such unique headphones!
I know this might be off topic but the problem is I will need more head for more headphones!! Although this might be a very common problem we share as head-fi er lol
some of the dynamics one below...excluding my electrostatic setup which is in another room...
1612762710392.png

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #19,849 of 25,522
Friends, I have a question. On my SRM-600 (CCS mod) and SR-009BK or SR-007MKII in "The Grid" from "Tron: Legacy" after Flynn's words I clearly hear a crackling in my headphones indicating overload. I am trying to understand: is it my amplifier not able to handle such a heavy arrangement, which leads to audible distortions, or is it the authors' intention? Opening the file in Adobe Audition I see that overloading in levels is there, but it is not clear whether it is used here intentionally. Can you help me figure it out?

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #19,850 of 25,522
Friends, I have a question. On my SRM-600 (CCS mod) and SR-009BK or SR-007MKII in "The Grid" from "Tron: Legacy" after Flynn's words I clearly hear a crackling in my headphones indicating overload. I am trying to understand: is it my amplifier not able to handle such a heavy arrangement, which leads to audible distortions, or is it the authors' intention? Opening the file in Adobe Audition I see that overloading in levels is there, but it is not clear whether it is used here intentionally. Can you help me figure it out?

In my L300 I don’t find nothing special but a bad sound quality track and I’m cracking the volume up.
The first 3 tracks have very bad recording quality, yes maybe distortion/ compression, limited dynamic range, etc...
I’m lessening the Master quality version.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #19,851 of 25,522
But surely if you see it is overloading in Adobe audition then the overloading is actually “present” which would explain the audible distortion (regardless of why it’s there) or have I misunderstood the question?

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #19,852 of 25,522
But surely if you see it is overloading in Adobe audition then the overloading is actually “present” which would explain the audible distortion (regardless of why it’s there) or have I misunderstood the question?
I think his question is: should his srm-600 be able to handle it or is Tron purposefully throwing something out that it doesn't want amps to be able to handle?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #19,853 of 25,522
is more likely that the track is broken if both of your headphone appear to have problem with, have you try it with other headphone or set up that you have?

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #19,854 of 25,522
I think his question is: should his srm-600 be able to handle it or is Tron purposefully throwing something out that it doesn't want amps to be able to handle?
Yes, that's right. This is the question.

have you try it with other headphone or set up that you have?
Unfortunately, I was only able to listen this song on Chord Hugo 2 with wired Apple EarPods :frowning2: These headphones play so badly that i can't even hear distortion in them. I don't have any other headphones.Perhaps this music was created specifically for dynamic drivers...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #19,855 of 25,522
Unfortunately, I was only able to listen this song on Chord Hugo 2 with wired Apple AirPods :frowning2: These headphones play so badly that i can't even hear distortion in them. I don't have any other headphones.Perhaps this music was created specifically for dynamic drivers...
I tried listening to my own copy of the Tron Legacy OST (24bit 96khz) on my T1S+007A, and didn't hear any distortion. It could be your specific copy of the song? It seems unlikely to me that the amp itself is causing the distortion.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #19,856 of 25,522
24bit 96khz - this is vinyl rip?

My version - 10th year anniversary (2020 issue) CD rip - 02 - The Grid.flac.zip

cover.jpg

Attachments

• 02 - The Grid.flac.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #19,858 of 25,522
Yes, especially obviously between 0:52 and 0:57! Thank you! KGSSHV or BHSE owners will confirm?

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #19,859 of 25,522
No problem! Curious to hear if any KGSSHV/BHSR owners hear differently. Something funny though, now that I've heard it on your copy, I can hear the first distortion at 0:52 on my vinyl rip, though not the second distortion. That leads me to believe that the distortion is coming from the master, and it got smoothed out a bit on the vinyl! Your copy was noticeably crisper than mine in general.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #19,860 of 25,522
I just listened to the track you uploaded and to my original version from 2010. I hear very slight tick (like digital noise) at :52 and a slight wobble when the deep bass hits. Is the tick what you are referring to as "distortion" or the slight wobble? Just a slight tick at :57. If I was not specifically listening for something it would go unnoticed. Also at higher volume I did not hear it, probably lost due to the volume. I will say that I agree that the recording is dirty, I hear a couple very slight ticks in other places also, and at low level volume and lots of "fuzz" noise floor? The noise is only on this track I do not hear it with other well recorded tracks. My terminology might not be the best here. I don't hear any clipping even at higher than normal listening levels. This is with BHSE, Yggdrasil as DAC. with both SR009 and Voce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back