The Stax Thread III
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #19,111 of 25,487
Ok. So I brought this to the thread coz I saw it being sold by a bonifide Canadian dealer....- little too expensive for me to take one for the team

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...iche-electrostatic-headphones-with-amplifier/

Huh, those photos show non-ribbon, round cables used. I wonder if they are an earlier version since their website now shows flat ribbon cables.

Having said all that, I do hope these Soltanus electrostat headphones are quality units and sound great. I am Always in favor of more electrostat options.

One factor may be in our favor. Doing some digging, it seems Soltanus actually started as electrostat speaker company with the Soltanus ESL Virtuoso electrostat speaker (Mk I) around 2012, which sports a rather glowing review in 6 Moons in 2014. (if that still counts for something). Perhaps the company does have some electrostat chops and skills to introduce a good 'stat headphone, I'm hoping.
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/soltanus/1.html

SoltanusVirtuoso-II.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #19,113 of 25,487
Sep 26, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #19,114 of 25,487
I am going to see if the dealer is willing to send it to me for a demo with a view to purchase. I am intrigued by them and the company does have a history of electrostat speakers

If the dealer is willing to do that (would be surprised), if you want to purchase, do mention to them that the transformer box back panel is upside down.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #19,115 of 25,487
Maybe @spritzer might want to comment on this headphone.
I don't think he's used Head-Fi in quite a while, but if someone emails him about it we might learn some colorful Icelandic profanity.

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #19,116 of 25,487
Well spotted @Jon L about the cable and panel :wink:. For the latter, one could argue it’s on purpose for frequent plugging/unplugging of cables while the amp is on a rack (instead of reading labels backward) but that’s a far fetch ;-p

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #19,117 of 25,487
I've reached out to Zoltan through the website, not sure if he will respond or join here but it would be nice if he can put all my fears to rest by just responding here :)

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #19,118 of 25,487
If the dealer is willing to do that (would be surprised), if you want to purchase, do mention to them that the transformer box back panel is upside down.
So, I received a reply that it got sold to someone from my own province/state. That sold pretty fast. He said that he brought some of their speakers to the montreal audio show back on 2015 and wanted to introduce the headphones to that show this year, but of course got COVID cancelled.

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #19,119 of 25,487
Oct 2, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #19,122 of 25,487
This is a total matter of preference.
I owned all 3 (007mk2 & 009 at the same time) and I preferred the Susvara.
Thank you . I only own the Susvara but my friend really like the Stax and told me it’s really good but he just sold the Stax so I did not have a chance to listen to the Stax so I have always been wondering how the Stax sounds like.

Could you please let me know why you prefer the Susvara to the Stax ?

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #19,123 of 25,487
Thank you . I only own the Susvara but my friend really like the Stax and told me it’s really good but he just sold the Stax so I did not have a chance to listen to the Stax so I have always been wondering how the Stax sounds like.

Could you please let me know why you prefer the Susvara to the Stax ?

In short, amplification (BHSE in my case) for the Stax is limited to only electrostatic headphones, and though I enjoyed both the 007mk2 & 009 very much I found that owning an amplifier that will drive other types of headphones (besides electrostats, of course) provided much more variety.
I also enjoyed the Susvara's presentation due to its detail, depth, height, clarity and smooth sound. I'm not saying that the 007mk2 & 009 didn't have these traits, because they did, I just felt the Susvara excelled in these traits, as well as being more Genre friendly.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #19,124 of 25,487
In short, amplification (BHSE in my case) for the Stax is limited to only electrostatic headphones, and though I enjoyed both the 007mk2 & 009 very much I found that owning an amplifier that will drive other types of headphones (besides electrostats, of course) provided much more variety.
I also enjoyed the Susvara's presentation due to its detail, depth, height, clarity and smooth sound. I'm not saying that the 007mk2 & 009 didn't have these traits, because they did, I just felt the Susvara excelled in these traits, as well as being more Genre friendly.
Thank you for the detailed explanation 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back