The Stax Thread III
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #18,751 of 25,622
A built in china kgsshv could be had for 1300-1500 usd. Half what mjolnir chargers. A carbon for 2000.

And I wouldn't touch one of those again with a 10 foot pole, for obvious reasons. Don't expect longevity or comparable sound quality.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #18,752 of 25,622
Everything is good until you start to comparing it with other amps.
Personally I dont like Wee.. because I compared.

What did you compare it to? I'm a huge believer in a good amp + energizer combo. My ifi iesl + Hypex NC400 monoblocks eats every Stax amp I've heard for lunch. I'd love to compare it to a KGSV, but compared to the items in the same price range, I can't imagine anything would beat it for clarity + bass accuracy and slam.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #18,754 of 25,622
Is it possible to damage electrostatic headphones by playing them too loudly? Yesterday I was listening for bass distortion in my SR-009S, and I accidentally played a bass tone that was way too loud and heard an awful crackling noise for a few seconds.

They seem to be okay but I just hope I didn't cause any damage to the drivers.

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #18,755 of 25,622
Is it possible to damage electrostatic headphones by playing them too loudly? Yesterday I was listening for bass distortion in my SR-009S, and I accidentally played a bass tone that was way too loud and heard an awful crackling noise for a few seconds.

Not sure for your SR-009S but I do own electrostatic speakers and if played to loud with bass emphasis sometimes they can “flap“ or some call it fart, making a cracking noise as the stats are pushed to hard. I’m sure this is what you experienced and likely have no damage. Just don’t keep doing it, is my advise. It’s a very expensive piece of audio reproductive gear to abuse. 🎧

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #18,756 of 25,622

Guess you found the distortion point.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #18,758 of 25,622
Problem with a SRM 006tS amp

Hello

I have a Stax SRM 006tS amp and SRL 700 MK2 headphones which give me complete satisfaction in terms of sound, but unfortunately the amp has a problem. I have to change the Electro-harmonix 6CG7 tubes much too quickly because the front tube which corresponds to the right channel stops working after three or four months. First it’s like a loose connexion, the sound works again if I turn the amp off and on again immediately and then after a few days the lamp definitively stops working. Since the purchase of the amp in April 2019 I had to change tubes several times

By reading specialized forums (Head-Fi, Headcase) the power tube would have a lifespan between 4000 and 6000 h. At a rate of 2 hours of listening per day, it should therefore last between 5.5 and 8 years. It has nothing to do with the 3-4 month lifespan of the front tube of my amp

My questions

In case of breakdown, should the two tubes be replaced even if one of them is operating normally? This is what I did but is it really necessary?

What is the cause of the breakdown? I should point out that I don't know anything about electronics.

• Is this a loose connexion?
  • Is it the lighting of the tube which is defective?
  • Is the amplifier more seriously damaged?
  • Are these DC balance and DC offset settings for the right channel which would have drifted and which would no longer be suitable for the tube which would wear out much more quickly?

As I am on a long-term mission for research in Brazil, I wish it was the last explanation because I can make these settings myself here by following the indications of specialized forums.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #18,760 of 25,622
Did anyone hear the following headphones on a good third party amp and can give a short comparison in terms of difference and how big the improvement is?

L700 MK2
SR-007 MK2
SR-009
SR-009S
(Hifiman Jade)

On Blue Hawaii + Holospring DAC + SU1 interface :
009 sounded perfect
009S sounded a bit off in female vocals, too thin. Bass was also thinner than on 009.
007 MK2 sounded very dark, not electrostatic-like at all. Bass is fuller than both 009 and 009S.
Shangrila Jr sounded less natural than 009, bass is just as good. Much harder to drive than 009.
Perun sounded very similar to 009S, but less transparent

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #18,761 of 25,622
On Blue Hawaii + Holospring DAC + SU1 interface :
009 sounded perfect
009S sounded a bit off in female vocals, too thin. Bass was also thinner than on 009.
007 MK2 sounded very dark, not electrostatic-like at all. Bass is fuller than both 009 and 009S.
Shangrila Jr sounded less natural than 009, bass is just as good. Much harder to drive than 009.
Perun sounded very similar to 009S, but less transparent
Thanks very much! That supports my intention to go for the 009.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #18,762 of 25,622
Problem with a SRM 006tS

Helo

I rephrase my email which was perhaps ambiguous.
I would like to know if users of Stax tube amplifiers have encountered this problem and also if a bad bias adjustment on a tube amplifier can damage the tubes and thus shorten their lifespan.

Thanks again, have a nice day

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #18,763 of 25,622
Thanks very much! That supports my intention to go for the 009.
Problem with a SRM 006tS

Helo

I rephrase my email which was perhaps ambiguous.
I would like to know if users of Stax tube amplifiers have encountered this problem and also if a bad bias adjustment on a tube amplifier can damage the tubes and thus shorten their lifespan.

Thanks again, have a nice day

i use the 007tll.
Never had this problem.
Yes, over bias adjustment will shorten tube life considerably.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #18,765 of 25,622
bias adjustments will not burn up a tube. but the bias adjustments can burn up the plate resistors.
it is possible that this unit has filament regulators which are always one per tube, if the regulator for that tube
is shorted the filament voltage is going to be 7.5 volts or higher which will probably damage the tube fairly quickly.
also possible that its not the tube if the unit has the relay dc protector on it, then possibly the relay is damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back