The Stax Thread III
Dec 23, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #18,196 of 25,567
I own a Stax L-500 and bought few weeks ago a SRM323II and a SRM-006tII to compare. I‘ll sell my SRM323II because I think the 006tII sounds better and offers more „surround“ sound.
Anyway....I could getting a SRM-600 but I don‘t know if it make sense because he has only better tubes (ECC99) than my SRM-006tII ?!
What is your opinion?
Thanks for comments/help.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #18,199 of 25,567
I recently bought a set of original new pads for my 202s. I removed as much of the old adhesive from the cups as I could, before I installed the new pads. Unfortunately, they keep peeling off. The double-sided sticky tape clearly isn’t sticking.
Any suggestions as to an adhesive which I can safely use to attach the pads to the cups (so that they can be removed later, and without fumes which could damage the membranes)?
Thanks.

Dec 25, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #18,200 of 25,567
any more impressions bout srm t700s, i have srm007tii and wonder whats the difference

i like to stick to tube amps that are bit warmish and musical, my source is chord hugo tt2 with xlr balanced telerium black cables and i barely go to 50% on my srm00tii. Adding chord tt2 to my chain is the biggest difference i had compared to all other dacs

i read alot bout kgsshv and bhse but some complain bout them not being musical and that they are cold analytical sounding, the details i get from hugo tt2 are more than enough with my stax 007mk2, and those telerium black xlr cables are the first cables i witness that cables make a difference compared to cardas xlr cables i had

my headphone is stax 007 mk2 latest version which i adore, and i did not port mod it nor do i feel i need better bass response , i like it as is

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #18,201 of 25,567
any more impressions bout srm t700s, i have srm007tii and wonder whats the difference

i like to stick to tube amps that are bit warmish and musical, my source is chord hugo tt2 with xlr balanced telerium black cables and i barely go to 50% on my srm00tii. Adding chord tt2 to my chain is the biggest difference i had compared to all other dacs

i read alot bout kgsshv and bhse but some complain bout them not being musical and that they are cold analytical sounding, the details i get from hugo tt2 are more than enough with my stax 007mk2, and those telerium black xlr cables are the first cables i witness that cables make a difference compared to cardas xlr cables i had

my headphone is stax 007 mk2 latest version which i adore, and i did not port mod it nor do i feel i need better bass response , i like it as is

If you're referring to the Stax SRM-700T, it appears to be a SRM-007T II with two 6SN7 tubes substituted for four 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes without any other significant changes other than nearly doubling the price. Note that the specifications between the two amps are pretty much identical, including maximum drive capability, which remains lower than their solid state amps (340 V RMS vs. 450 V RMS at 1 kHz). Specifically, Stax still has not replaced the output plate resistors with constant current loads, which would raise the drive capability to the same as their solid state drivers, and be a significant improvement IMHO.

Put it this way: you could buy a used SRM-T1 for $500-600, replace the old electrolytic capacitors and do my constant current load mod for about $100 in parts, and get higher drive capability with lower distortion, better bass and cleaner highs, than either the SRM-007T II or SRM-700T.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #18,203 of 25,567
...those telerium black xlr cables are the first cables i witness that cables make a difference compared to cardas xlr cables i had
Could you please describe the differences, especially in terms of timbre & tonality? PM if too off-topic. Thanks!

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #18,204 of 25,567
JimL11, your mod is perfect !!!

The modified T1 is the best amp, i have ever heard for a stax system. (Based on L700)

Thanks! It's not meant to be the best ever, but I think it is great value for the time and money spent, Of course, it relies on the basic soundness of the original Stax design - just kicks it up a notch. Just wish Stax would do something similar to their tube output models to bring them up to date.

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #18,205 of 25,567
I am interested in trying a stax headphone. I would like to experience the sound of an elctrostatic headphone, and how it is different to my headphones i already have.I would like to hear if a elctrostatic is better than my headphones or if it is just different.
I can buy a used sr-202 with a srm-Xh, or a l300 with a 252s for twice the money. Is the sr-202 setup good enough for my needs, or should i spend the extra money?

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #18,207 of 25,567
I have only heard a few electrostatics.
Koss model from drop, (because I bought it)
STAX L700
RR1 conquest
Mr. Speakers / Dan Clarke Audio Voce

The Voce kinda blew my mind, the imaging and soundstage was unreal, but there is almost no bass impact at all. They are still the best headphone that I have heard so far.
L700 was nowhere near as impressive as I thought it would be.
RR1 conquest impressive for the price, but I wouldn’t trade it for my HD-800.
if you want a cheap way in and you don’t have a way to demo them you can checkout the Koss.
The vocal detail is nice and the treble is far from harsh to my ears.
I still have not heard the SR-009/S or 007 because I can’t find a place to demo them in California.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #18,208 of 25,567
I have only heard a few electrostatics.
Koss model from drop, (because I bought it)
STAX L700
RR1 conquest
Mr. Speakers / Dan Clarke Audio Voce

The Voce kinda blew my mind, the imaging and soundstage was unreal, but there is almost no bass impact at all. They are still the best headphone that I have heard so far.
L700 was nowhere near as impressive as I thought it would be.
RR1 conquest impressive for the price, but I wouldn’t trade it for my HD-800.
if you want a cheap way in and you don’t have a way to demo them you can checkout the Koss.
The vocal detail is nice and the treble is far from harsh to my ears.
I still have not heard the SR-009/S or 007 because I can’t find a place to demo them in California.

There is also a pair of the Koss from drop for sale used, for the same price as the sr202 setup. Would that be a better buy ? does the Koss give me the typical electrostatic sound, like the stax ?

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #18,210 of 25,567
To me, the "warmish and musical" description actually applies to the 717 just as well as the 007t, and if the new solid state amp really is a resurrected 717 and sounds similar, then I wouldn't overlook it. What's not a good thing is the asking price, $3k gets you a pretty high level KGSS and while the 717 is good, it's not $3k good. But who knows, maybe the price will come down over time.

Regardless the 717 remains my favorite factory Stax amp by a pretty wide margin, though I haven't heard them all (especially the T2).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back