The Stax Thread III
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #18,226 of 25,472
153952baw0iins6os1k6ii.jpg

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #18,228 of 25,472
any more impressions bout srm t700s, i have srm007tii and wonder whats the difference

i like to stick to tube amps that are bit warmish and musical, my source is chord hugo tt2 with xlr balanced telerium black cables and i barely go to 50% on my srm00tii. Adding chord tt2 to my chain is the biggest difference i had compared to all other dacs

i read alot bout kgsshv and bhse but some complain bout them not being musical and that they are cold analytical sounding, the details i get from hugo tt2 are more than enough with my stax 007mk2, and those telerium black xlr cables are the first cables i witness that cables make a difference compared to cardas xlr cables i had

my headphone is stax 007 mk2 latest version which i adore, and i did not port mod it nor do i feel i need better bass response , i like it as is

Well I had mjolnir srd-7, stax 323s, kgst, and I tested 007tii, 700s and 700t at two shop (also T8000 which sounded very bad), and I used my source. My headphones are L300LE and 007mk2.5 with ring mod. I can tell you 007 sounded worst with stax 323s and improved with srd-7 then further improved greatly with kgst both technical and musical aspects. Back to L300LE actually they lose much of warmness and musicality with both srd-7 and kgst, while improved technically in bass and treble just a little and become more analytical, actually they had much bigger sound stage out of 323s. The 007mk2.5 improves alot through kgst in all aspects while L300LE improved a little in technical aspects but loses warmth and sound-stage, and improvement is not as obvious.

I would say for 007mk2.5 just go for kg design much better musical and technically. Now here is my impression is with L300LE with new 700t, 700s and 007tii, kgst.
Sound-stage size: 007tii > kgst > 700t > 700s (but 007tii sounstage is clearly artificial and unnatural, similar to 323s, little fuzzy)
Imaging: kgst >= 700s > 700t >> 007tii
Transparency: kgst > 700s > 700t > 007tii
Details: kgs >= 700s > 700t >> 007tii
Warmth 700t=007tii > kgst=700s
The new amps are really much better than older stax amp and they sound more similar to kg amp and produces accurate sound-stage while retaining warmth. I would say they are good upgrade but not for the price ! 2000$ maybe maximum ones should pay for them. Since mjolnir amps are very sensitive to source, I rather buy kgst/kgsshv and tube source to get warmth and sound-stage. Actually I used cheapo tube pre-amp with kgst (3000$) and L300LE was singing, but for me thought not worth the price different over 323s/srd-7 ....

As for 007mk2.5 through kgst they sounded better in all aspects over 007tii

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #18,230 of 25,472
This isn't a reply.

Sorry for using this forum for my own purposes - nevertheless - I've exhausted all other options. This is my next best/only creative option.

I'm trying to contact @georgep and @Kerry concerning a T2 build. I have - repeatedly, and again and again, tried to use the private message feature. There is simply no send button. If there is some trick required to send a private message, I am unaware of it. I got the same no button/no way to send using both @georgep and @Kerry links. Perhaps georgep or kerry will see this - or perhaps there is an already built T2 out there for me - or someone might do me the favor of pointing this out to George or Kerry. Or, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction for sending a private message. BTW, this message is easy to send. Push the post reply button.

I copied the message I wrote to @Kerry and I'll paste it in below. Maybe it will save wondering what I am really about.

I decided to leave the comments about the group in the text. Total transparency, et al.

Thanks guys and apologies again.

Hello. Tom here. As you see, I am interested in obtaining a T2 amp. Obviously, I got your address from a Head-fi post. One of your T2s came up on the marketplace forum recently. I should have bought that one - but - I didn't. Now, here we are. What do I need to tell you/ what do I need to know prior to ordering a T2 build from you? Reading the Stax related posts, there seems to be a lot of secrecy and cliquishness on Stax related forums. I just want an amp. I've found that the easiest, and least expensive, way to get something is to only buy it once. In this case, I've never heard a Stax headphone - nevertheless - the T2 is the unanimous choice. I don't want to buy a bunch of amps only to end up still really wanting a T2 all along. FWIW, I do have experience with electrostatic speakers. For a long, long time I've had full-range electrostatic speakers with high-voltage (6kv) direct drive amps in my 2-channel system. A friend has Sound Labs A-1s. I definitely like whatever the electrostatic sound is. I currently use a Woo WA-5 with LCD3s and an HD800. I am expecting a substantial increase in sound quality with a 009s/T2 combo.
I am far from a wealthy guy. Houses on my block don't have Stax products in them (or Woo WA-5s, for that matter).
This is a BIG leap of faith, having neither seen nor heard either. However, knowing there is absolutely no chance for me to hear any of these types of equipment, sometimes you simply have to take a leap. Thanks Tom

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #18,233 of 25,472
However, knowing there is absolutely no chance for me to hear any of these types of equipment, sometimes you simply have to take a leap. Thanks Tom
Considering the amount you intend to spend and the time you'll have to wait for a T2 build, I'd say you're mistaken. You should ask around if anyone is going to bring a T2 to any of the meetups or a CanJam listed in https://www.head-fi.org/forums/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers.24/ and then just book a flight + hotel.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #18,235 of 25,472
For anyone interested, you can get the ES1A for $12,240 HKD on sale ($15,300 HKD), https://www.eslabhk.com. I would've take a dab and get it but I just purchase the HE60.

Very tempted by the Omega clone。It needs to reach 90% for me to really consider :sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back