The Stax Thread III
Mar 15, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #17,357 of 25,623
Never said it was

From Stax website:
"It features "MLER" ellipse sound element equivalent to Lamda top series models"

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #17,359 of 25,623
That's their translation - not mine.
Make of it what you want :)

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #17,360 of 25,623
Very nice thank you for that. I look forward to getting my Carbon then. I have the Focal Utopias as well. I find they are great headphones as well and the dynamics and tonality they present are fantastic. I still love my LCD-4s as well, but there is just something about these stax headphones I just cant quite help but be overwhelmed by. Ive heard people say they think they sound weird or off in some way and all i can think is they musta just ran through some shooting practice without hearing protection cause the only way these sound off is in the way they just sound god damn perfect and I havent even heard them through a TOTL amp yet.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #17,361 of 25,623
Very nice thank you for that. I look forward to getting my Carbon then. I have the Focal Utopias as well. I find they are great headphones as well and the dynamics and tonality they present are fantastic. I still love my LCD-4s as well, but there is just something about these stax headphones I just cant quite help but be overwhelmed by. Ive heard people say they think they sound weird or off in some way and all i can think is they musta just ran through some shooting practice without hearing protection cause the only way these sound off is in the way they just sound god damn perfect and I havent even heard them through a TOTL amp yet.
You’re going to love the Carbon

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #17,364 of 25,623
I’ve heard the 009S through the top Stax (not bad at all), then a KGST (shows that Stax isn’t so great after all) and finally a KGGG (woweee!) The fact is the cans scale up to new levels as amp quality improves. Better cables between source and amp also help.

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #17,365 of 25,623
I’ve heard the 009S through the top Stax (not bad at all), then a KGST (shows that Stax isn’t so great after all) and finally a KGGG (woweee!) The fact is the cans scale up to new levels as amp quality improves. Better cables between source and amp also help.

Indeed, but so do the Abyss, LCD4 and Susvara. Top level HPs need top level amp and sources IMO.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #17,366 of 25,623
IMO they don't. I had a LCD-4 which was pretty disappointing so I kept getting better DACs/amps for it, but it always sounded the same. Went from a Schiit stack ($200) up to a top tier Violectric stack ($4000). I also heard the SR009S on the SRM-D50 vs BHSE and KGSS and it sounded the same on all three to me. I've been slowly getting rid of my expensive DACs/amps in favor of cheaper ones with better specs.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #17,367 of 25,623
IMO they don't. I had a LCD-4 which was pretty disappointing so I kept getting better DACs/amps for it, but it always sounded the same. Went from a Schiit stack ($200) up to a top tier Violectric stack ($4000). I also heard the SR009S on the SRM-D50 vs BHSE and KGSS and it sounded the same on all three to me. I've been slowly getting rid of my expensive DACs/amps in favor of cheaper ones with better specs.

Think you are swimming against the tide...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back