The Stax Thread III
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #17,342 of 25,487
I actually thought about using something along those lines. Do you use a headphone stand inside the case or just set them inside?

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #17,344 of 25,487
I live in Singapore, which is pretty damn humid
There was this period of time when i took a break from headfi for 6 months, and forgot to cover my staxes. I just left them there in a dusty corner
After 6 months, i finally took them out , and found that lots of dust have accumulated on the headband, and i wanted to kill myself for messing up big time
However i fired them up again and they are still fine somehow

Of course, this is a huge mistake on my part, and im lucky that nothing bad happened. It was very idiotic of me, and i wouldn't recommend anyone to take the same risk that i did ( albeit unintentionally )
But my point is, i find the staxes extremely durable and reliable. Its not really the kind of stuff that are extremely fragile, or will fail out of nowhere if you do not take extreme care. Ive had much worse experiences with the reliability of some audeze cans, and the utopia.

Anyway ive been keeping them inside the stax dust covers since coming back to headfi, don't wanna gamble again :p

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #17,345 of 25,487
I live in Singapore, which is pretty damn humid
There was this period of time when i took a break from headfi for 6 months, and forgot to cover my staxes. I just left them there in a dusty corner
After 6 months, i finally took them out , and found that lots of dust have accumulated on the headband, and i wanted to kill myself for messing up big time
However i fired them up again and they are still fine somehow

Of course, this is a huge mistake on my part, and im lucky that nothing bad happened. It was very idiotic of me, and i wouldn't recommend anyone to take the same risk that i did ( albeit unintentionally )
But my point is, i find the staxes extremely durable and reliable. Its not really the kind of stuff that are extremely fragile, or will fail out of nowhere if you do not take extreme care. Ive had much worse experiences with the reliability of some audeze cans, and the utopia.

Anyway ive been keeping them inside the stax dust covers since coming back to headfi, don't wanna gamble again :p
Woaaa, you are lucky! In fact, I think, instead of winning a lottery, all your lucks have gone to this incident to prevent arcing that May fry your brain, and damaging the headphones , and everything else...lol

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #17,346 of 25,487
Yeah I throw the Stax stand in there too.
Thank you my friend I believe that will be the direction that I go.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #17,350 of 25,487
Woaaa, you are lucky! In fact, I think, instead of winning a lottery, all your lucks have gone to this incident to prevent arcing that May fry your brain, and damaging the headphones , and everything else...lol
could you be exaggerating ?

Taken from the other forum :

"That's exaggerating things somewhat, I live in Malaysia and my Staxen are quite alive.

I prefer to have the A/C on when I'm listening to electrostats, but that has more to do with my personal comfort than anything else.

Also, I remember Spritzer mentioning that Stax's modern headphones could tolerate bias voltages up to 1KV or more (based on driver spacing), so changes in humidity aren't enough to cause dielectric breakdown (arcing). The bias supplies (in Stax amplifiers at least) also have ballast resistors to limit current.
"

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #17,354 of 25,487
Just for curiosity sake and the fact this is likely the best place to ask this question. Has anyone reading this heard either the SR-009 or SR-L700 or both on the ifi iESL? If yes to any I would love to hear your thoughts. If both I would love to hear how you believe they compare cause as far as I can tell through the iESL they sound very similar and in a few situations I would give the L700 the edge.

All that being said I am sure this has been beaten to death, but when people say the SR-009 is only truly heard at its potential when paired with a high end amp is this really true. I just invested in a KGSSHV Carbon and am waiting for it to come in. Is this difference night and day or just marginally better? Im over here thinkin I may have blown $3500 on some cans when $1500 would have done and another $3000+ on an awesome amp. Just guess I am looking for the opinions of those that have heard these through both lesser quality amps and higher and have some insight and comfort to offer.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #17,355 of 25,487
I started playing with Stax last Spring - my experience:

009S on 353X vs. Mjolinir Carbon
NIGHT and DAY

353LE (L700 drivers) vs. 009S
NIGHT and DAY

009S / Mjolinir Carbon vs. my Utopia
NIGHT and DAY

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back