The Stax Thread III
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #17,388 of 25,262
Yes, I currently own some of the best measuring DACs. I sold off the poor value boutique stuff that didn't offer any real world improvements. In fact, the Violectric V281 was one of the poorest amps I've tested in terms of noise. I'm impressed that most audiophiles can't detect it. What are your sources, oh mighty "golden-eared" one?

Not taking any sides in this debate, but one observation I have made in watching people debate these sorts of things over the years is that some people like sources/amps/headphones that add more/different noise or distortion to the original recording. Not saying my observation is in any way related to the differences of opinion going on at the moment, or that any of the gear mentioned does any of that. Just thought it was interesting that one member identified the V281 as poor in terms of noise, while another member described it as a good amp (I have never heard it so have no view).

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #17,389 of 25,262
Not taking any sides in this debate, but one observation I have made in watching people debate these sorts of things over the years is that some people like sources/amps/headphones that add more/different noise or distortion to the original recording. Not saying my observation is in any way related to the differences of opinion going on at the moment, or that any of the gear mentioned does any of that. Just thought it was interesting that one member identified the V281 as poor in terms of noise, while another member described it as a good amp (I have never heard it so have no view).

Not sure why everyone wants to debate all the time. That was exactly my point. Funny that he is still trying to debate.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #17,392 of 25,262
PointyFox, I think we have had this discussion before? I would say the Stax SR009 is along the lines of a 20K+ speaker, probably better. To get the best from it you really do need a top DAC, smooth, dynamic, good treble control. Otherwise you are in for problems that the 009 will only magnify, not 'fix' or sound better. Generally DACs start to sound much better after you get beyond the 3K price barrier. There isn't any 'giant killers' in the sub 1K bracket IMO, not when you hear what a good DAC can really do. I would say look at a starting point of the Halo Spring DAC, and work up from there. TotalDAC are good (lower priced units) and can come up used. The Lampizator Atlantic is good if you can hack tubes. I would try go for R2R and avoid DS DACs, and I do prefer tube output myself.

Good luck. BTW, the DAC in the Violectric 800 is BAD. The V281 amp is GOOD.

Interesting. What do you think about Hugo 2 or Hugo 2 TT compared to something like holo spring l3 or yggdrasil 2?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #17,393 of 25,262
As someone whose primary listening is in high end 2 channel it is so refreshing to read the above post. It just seems that so many on Headfi do not understand the simple facts of system building.

It all starts with THE SOURCE. If your DAC, record player etc. cannot get all of the music off and out of the grooves (to use a vinyl record analogy) then it does not matter how good your amplifier is or how good your headphones are. YOU ARE NOT GETTING ALL OF THE MUSIC - an inferior DAC or record player has left some of it behind!

Listen to a L300 run off a DAVE
Listen to a 009 run off a Mojo

I bet the L300 will sound better. Why - because the DAVE is getting more of the music off of the files. The Mojo is simply not

I've noticed that quite a bit of people will spend a lot on a totl headphones, but will run it through a cheap schitt stack or whatever they found on massdrop. It's ok if you're using it with entry level crap like the hd650, but not with headphones costing $2k and above. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #17,394 of 25,262
... entry level crap like the hd650, but not with headphones costing $2k and above.

Wow, times have changed... let me guess, you weren’t born when this headphone was released, correct?

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #17,396 of 25,262
Wow, times have changed... let me guess, you weren’t born when this headphone was released, correct?

Was thinking the same thing and how perspectives are so different depending upon ones entry into high end headphones. I still have my hd650 as well as my multiple stax 007 and 009, and I like the hd650 quite a bit (sold my LCD-2 a long time ago, but kept my hd650)

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #17,397 of 25,262
The HD650 I don’t even wear any more other than to compare it with something for someone else.
They are pretty bad comparatively speaking.
The HD 600 was the first headphone I wanted but couldn’t afford back in the 90’s.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #17,398 of 25,262
Interconnects - CHECK
Electricity - CHECK

PointyFox - you are simply wrong.

I guess everyone in 2 channel land who have systems with sources running from $5k-$25k are just stupid and throwing their money away? Doesn't make a difference? Its just the "speakers" (headphones)

You also said "I've heard all this top end stuff and there's no difference between any of it, just the headphones"
So I guess we all should just use the cheapest Stax energizer and forget wasting our money on all of the KG amplifiers, Blue Hawaii etc. ???
Come on - its just the headphones :)

I agree. It a bit like saying I got the top engine so the car is superb. Try slinging a Nissan Duke around a corner flat out with a porsche engine it it then. see what happens.... maybe if you listen at microscopic level, you may not notice?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #17,400 of 25,262
I've noticed that quite a bit of people will spend a lot on a totl headphones, but will run it through a cheap schitt stack or whatever they found on massdrop. It's ok if you're using it with entry level crap like the hd650, but not with headphones costing $2k and above. It just doesn't make sense to me.
So true...:joy: gotta be part of the cool kids club ya know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back