The Stax Thread III
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #16,576 of 25,492
It may take some time for the SS parts in an amp to fully warm up and reach optimum performance.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #16,577 of 25,492
It may take some time for the SS parts in an amp to fully warm up and reach optimum performance.
I was told by a headphone store owner that you need to keep the amp on for 30-60 minutes for it (the amp? the earspeakers? both?) to sound at its best.

I wonder if there's any science behind it leading to audible results, though.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #16,578 of 25,492
Most things are designed not taking temperature of the components into consideration, so maybe amps only sound their best for a short time after turning them on? :smiling_imp:

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #16,579 of 25,492
I was told by a headphone store owner that you need to keep the amp on for 30-60 minutes for it (the amp? the earspeakers? both?) to sound at its best.

He was talking about the amp. Honestly this "problem" of warm up is WAY overstated IMO.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #16,580 of 25,492

Most things are designed not taking temperature of the components into consideration, so maybe amps only sound their best for a short time after turning them on? :smiling_imp:

If you read the detailed specifications of resistors, capacitors, etc. most of them have some measurable temperature coefficient, so their exact value varies with temperature, even if the amount of change is very small. However, transistors will have clearly different characteristic curves depending on temperature, which are frequently shown on their data sheets - commonly curves are shown at 25 and 125 degrees centigrade.

The thing that takes the most time to warm up are the heatsinks that the solid state parts are attached to - it takes time for the transistors to warm these up to their steady state operating temperature, and the transistor parameters will change during this process. So the heatsinks may start at room temperature, e.g. 20 - 24 degrees centigrade, and increase up to 45 - 50 degrees centigrade at steady state. Note that when the heatsink is at 50 degrees, the transistor itself may be at a significantly higher temperature as there is a gradient in temperature between the transistor die itself, the case, the insulating wafer and the heatsink. This is why, with say the BHSE, you do preliminary bias adjustments shortly after turn-on, but final bias adjustments are made after, say 30-60 minutes, when everything is close to steady state. The change in bias is a measurable phenomenon, whether you can hear the difference or not.

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #16,581 of 25,492
With Black Friday around the corner, I'm inclined to ask about the odds of there being any deals on the new 009S. Would a 20% off deal be possible? Does Stax ever go on deal?
Unlikely on a new unit. I would even say there probably isn't many 009S floating around even secondhand. Stax isn't too keen to discount.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #16,585 of 25,492
I'd appreciate any feedback on the Stax extension cables. Other than one being silver-coated copper, is one superior to the other? Will either one work on a SR-007mk2/ SR-009S?

Cheaper one: https://www.hifiheadphones.ca/stax-sre-750-16ft-extension-cable/
Silver-coated, more expensive one: https://www.hifiheadphones.ca/stax-sre-950s-16ft-extension-cable/

I have the 007 Mk2 and currently using the 950s SPC extension cord.

The 950s cable will add refinement and move frequencies toward the upper registers, giving you the typical SPC tone. It's a good tweak to have, and definitely worth the $150 if you already have the 007s.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #16,586 of 25,492
If I were to use the 007 with a Mjolnir Audio reworked SRD-7 and 30wpc speaker amp would I get the best out of it?

While you definitely could be happy with that setup and depending on the synergy of components it may sound very good. I don't think anyone would tell you that with regard to the 007 there is more performance to be had from other setups.

As a starting point oi that is convenient for you I say go for it. Then down the line you have many options.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #16,587 of 25,492
new toy for men playing. and it's a very beautiful playing :)
20181113.jpg

20181114.jpg

and the overall playground :)

20181112.jpg

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #16,588 of 25,492
Nice!

Looks like a GG from sorenb?

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #16,590 of 25,492
After spending some time with my L300 I have to say that they are quite wonderful headphones, I think the tonality is somewhat off but very tolerable. What I find bizarre though, is what feels like an imaging problem. Pinpointing where things come from is so hard, but at the same time i believe it adds to the general diffuse presentation of the headphone, where the sound simply exists, it doesn't feel like it comes from anywhere. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back