The Stax Thread III
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #16,308 of 25,564
That PM was all a part of my grand, ultimate conspiracy to help boost the U.S. economy. All is going as according to plan. :)

Spritzer is from...iceland I think.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #16,309 of 25,564
Spritzer is from...iceland I think.

Okay, but if you think about it, who is most likely to supply all those parts to him, hm? China! Japan! Taiwan! See??

...okay, my patriotic plan may have a few holes in it. It's not like I stayed up all night plotting and scheming. There has to be a few KG builders/sellers in the states, yes?? Sigh.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #16,311 of 25,564
Stax started selling electrostats in 1960. That means we're 58 years into their dastardly 60-year plan to get all of the money. The plan was to place an electrostat in every household, so everyone would be way too engrossed in their music to resist them. It would have worked too, if it wasn't for the heroes at Skullcandy saturating the market with "great sounding!" cheap earphones before Stax could get to them. Their products are ingeniously designed with a safety feature to prevent consumers from ever getting so into their music that they become easy prey for cynical predators like Stax! (Incidentally it also cut down on music piracy!)

You all think Stax gear sounds so good because of "drivers" or "engineering," well I'm sorry to break it to you but you're wrong. They sound so good for a simple reason. Three words: Pure. Evil. Energy. Period.

I even heard the character Ancient One in the Dr. Strange movie is based on Stax. So that's definitely true.

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #16,313 of 25,564
Stax started selling electrostats in 1960. That means we're 58 years into their dastardly 60-year plan to get all of the money. The plan was to place an electrostat in every household, so everyone would be way too engrossed in their music to resist them. It would have worked too, if it wasn't for the heroes at Skullcandy saturating the market with "great sounding!" cheap earphones before Stax could get to them. Their products are ingeniously designed with a safety feature to prevent consumers from ever getting so into their music that they become easy prey for cynical predators like Stax! (Incidentally it also cut down on music piracy!)

You all think Stax gear sounds so good because of "drivers" or "engineering," well I'm sorry to break it to you but you're wrong. They sound so good for a simple reason. Three words: Pure. Evil. Energy. Period.

I even heard the character Ancient One in the Dr. Strange movie is based on Stax. So that's definitely true.
The more evil energy, the better, as far as I'm concerned. My Stax hasn't asked me to start killing yet (let's be real though, it's not gonna just "ask" nicely lol), but I'm on standby to heed the call if necessary.

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #16,314 of 25,564
Would the SMSL su-8 match well with the srm 353x? I have heard that the recommended input voltage for xlr is 6vrms, but the SMSL su-8 has only 4vrms through balance.

The 353x manual says "Max. Input Level: 30V (at minimum volume level)". That's the only number that matters: don't exceed 30V. Anything lower than that is perfectly cromulent, so long as you're getting enough volume at the headphones. If you want to experiment, do you have a headphone amp you could use as a preamp? I don't believe adding a preamp will make any positive difference, but it can't hurt to try.

The notion of "matching" amps and preamps is important for tube gear, especially vintage stuff, but it's irrelevant for SS amps. Now, if you're looking for a "colored" amp or DAC to achieve a certain sound, that's completely different.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #16,315 of 25,564
Is the iESL a good pairing for the 007?

No personal experience, but I have seen complaints that it didn't produce enough sound level. There have also been questions raised about the bias supply, specifically the lack of a safety resistor going to the diaphragm.

Would the SMSL su-8 match well with the srm 353x? I have heard that the recommended input voltage for xlr is 6vrms, but the SMSL su-8 has only 4vrms through balance.

The SRM-353X has a maximum specified voltage output at 1 kHz of 400 VRMS, with a gain of 1000X, so the maximum input with the volume all the way up is 0.4 VRMS - of course this level will produce about 112 dB SPL, high enough to give you permanent hearing damage within a minute or so. The SMSL su-8 has plenty of output voltage.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #16,317 of 25,564
Sep 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #16,318 of 25,564
I'm pretty sure it does, I remember reading about 303 / 404 users upgrading their pads to EP-507. Also, the 404LE had these pads iirc.

I also have a question. Does anybody know if the open cell foam that was used on the outer side of the 303 / 404 drivers, as well as in the oval opening of some old style earpads (subsequently replaced by a detachable woven cloth) ages and crumbles in time even if stored in darkness for many years? I don't know why it deteriorates in time, is it because of the UV, mechanical wear, a slow, insidious chemical reaction in contact with air or what? In other words, can I buy some extra spare pairs and store them in a closed envelope without fear that they will have turned to dust by the time I'll open the envelope, say, 10 years from now?

I know it's a weird question but it's important to me, so please, if you have any idea (or have somebody you could ask), I'd much appreciate any information on this topic. Thanks!

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #16,319 of 25,564
I'm pretty sure it does, I remember reading about 303 / 404 users upgrading their pads to EP-507. Also, the 404LE had these pads iirc.

I also have a question. Does anybody know if the open cell foam that was used on the outer side of the 303 / 404 drivers, as well as in the oval opening of some old style earpads (subsequently replaced by a detachable woven cloth) ages and crumbles in time even if stored in darkness for many years? I don't know why it deteriorates in time, is it because of the UV, mechanical wear, a slow, insidious chemical reaction in contact with air or what? In other words, can I buy some extra spare pairs and store them in a closed envelope without fear that they will have turned to dust by the time I'll open the envelope, say, 10 years from now?

I know it's a weird question but it's important to me, so please, if you have any idea (or have somebody you could ask), I'd much appreciate any information on this topic. Thanks!
The open cell foam of my Lambda Signature (purchased in the mid nineties) disintegrated into a powder like stuff. The phones were used for approx. 3 years and were stored in their box for 20. I have never seen a recent photo of an older stax with the foam intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back