The Stax Thread III
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #16,276 of 25,560
Sorry if that's not the right place to ask, but is there some relatively easy way to measure the channel balance of a stax energizer ( in this case KGSS ) ?
The easy way is use a volt meter. Measure across the left channel then measure the right channel and try and match the trimmer that adjusts the balance. Repeat the measurement till its as close to a match as possible. If you have 2 volt meters and are able to put the probes in, it’ll be easier to compare the channels.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #16,277 of 25,560
The easy way is use a volt meter. Measure across the left channel then measure the right channel and try and match the trimmer that adjusts the balance. Repeat the measurement till its as close to a match as possible. If you have 2 volt meters and are able to put the probes in, it’ll be easier to compare the channels.
Thanks a lot!
Sorry for asking (probably) even stupider question, but is it enough that it says range: 12-690V or should I look for something more specific while buying a volt meter*?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #16,278 of 25,560
But then, I find the T2 so vastly more natural that it feels like removing a few more layers between me and the music, and gets my adrenaline flowing to a degree that the Carbon could only dream of. The Carbon sounded more artificial, mechanical, and also somehow "veiled" by comparison, even though it is tonally brighter and indeed very fast.

You have described perfectly the difference I also hear between very good tube amps and even the best transistor amps. The (perceived) more direct connection to music is the main thing. However, tube amps often have more limited use case range (or require stricter usage context than transistors), cost more and are less convenient. Also, the perceived difference is very subjective, for some people is much less important than for others. I am happily using transistor amps for the rest of the family, and reserve the tube amps for myself :).

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #16,279 of 25,560

not exactly. each channel has an offset and a balance. The offset adjusts the DC offset between any of the outputs (L+,L-,R+,R-) and chassis ground. The balance adjusts the difference between L+ and L- or R+ and R-
make sure you know which of the 4 output pins on the stax connector you are connected to and never turn the pots more than 10 degrees, or you are doing something wrong and should stop. 2 meters is always better.
If the unit was adjusted correctly in the beginning, changing the tubes is unlikely to require further adjustments.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #16,280 of 25,560
I'm thinking about replacing the earpads on my Lambda Signature Pro, because they're really old, but at the same time: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and they ain't exactly "broke."

They still sound fantastic, of course, even though the pads don't make a seal even a little bit (in contrast my SR-407 pads make a strong seal). I don't know what to expect new pads to do to the sound. Do most people find that to sound better, subjectively? Is there even any difference in the sound, and the primary benefits to new pads are mostly just comfort related?

I believe they are still on their original pads! They must have been made in the mid-1980s I think?

20180908_195436_HDR_20180908201052299.jpg

Are there any different options when it comes to replacing Lambda earpads? Is the Stax OEM stuff you can ship from Japan the only choice? I love Dekoni's pads and I have a pair on every non-stax I own, but so far they haven't returned my email asking about Lambdas.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #16,281 of 25,560
I find the T2 so vastly more natural that it feels like removing a few more layers between me and the music, and gets my adrenaline flowing to a degree that the Carbon could only dream of. The Carbon sounded more artificial, mechanical, and also somehow "veiled" by comparison, even though it is tonally brighter and indeed very fast.

You have described perfectly the difference I also hear between very good tube amps and even the best transistor amps. The (perceived) more direct connection to music is the main thing

The funny thing is that I would describe the benefits of solid state amps in exactly the same terms as you guys are describing tubes! SS has a more direct connection to the music, it sounds more natural, whereas tubes are veiled and muddy and get in the way of the pure sound to me.

That's an amusing reminder of how different people don't even have the same idea of what an amp "should" do, and how pathetic our language is at describing it. Can tube and SS designs both sound "more natural" than the other? I guess, but that's really confusing.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #16,282 of 25,560
The funny thing is that I would describe the benefits of solid state amps in exactly the same terms as you guys are describing tubes! SS has a more direct connection to the music, it sounds more natural, whereas tubes are veiled and muddy and get in the way of the pure sound to me.

That's an amusing reminder of how different people don't even have the same idea of what an amp "should" do, and how pathetic our language is at describing it. Can tube and SS designs both sound "more natural" than the other? I guess, but that's really confusing.

Of course, the best way to compare would be similar amps but with tubes vs solid states. For Stax, we can kind of do that by comparing a KGSSHV Carbon to a Grounded Grid. The Grounded Grid thread actually does that.

But at the end of the day, all of those comparisons will still be almost entirely subjective so you're right. I have also become partial to solid state, but I have zero experience with the T2 and chances are it'll remain that way due to its price. I'm only interested in one amp upgrade right now, and that'd be to a Circlotron once they're ready. My immediate interest would be in a solid state one, though if EML 20B-V4 versions ever come out I'd have to consider it lol.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #16,283 of 25,560
Of course, the best way to compare would be similar amps but with tubes vs solid states. For Stax, we can kind of do that by comparing a KGSSHV Carbon to a Grounded Grid. The Grounded Grid thread actually does that.

But at the end of the day, all of those comparisons will still be almost entirely subjective so you're right. I have also become partial to solid state, but I have zero experience with the T2 and chances are it'll remain that way due to its price. I'm only interested in one amp upgrade right now, and that'd be to a Circlotron once they're ready. My immediate interest would be in a solid state one, though if EML 20B-V4 versions ever come out I'd have to consider it lol.

Why are you particularly interested in Eml v4 Tubes ? KG amps can run them with some modifications, but my questions is why ?

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #16,284 of 25,560
Why are you particularly interested in Eml v4 Tubes ? KG amps can run them with some modifications, but my questions is why ?

I guess I'm mostly curious about how they'd sound in comparison. Chances are I will stick with solid state though.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #16,285 of 25,560
I guess I'm mostly curious about how they'd sound in comparison. Chances are I will stick with solid state though.
Lol, you gotta make up your mind. Anyways, I was once curious about them too, but I rather go with something is proven, NOS XF2 EL34 England, period. There is someone who played with EMB and did not really care much

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #16,286 of 25,560
Lol, you gotta make up your mind. Anyways, I was once curious about them too, but I rather go with something is proven, NOS XF2 EL34 England, period. There is someone who played with EMB and did not really care much

My mind will be made up for me most likely. Doubt we'll ever see an EML 20B-V4 Circlotron, and that's a lot more money anyway. All I know is, I've only got one amp upgrade and one DAC upgrade left!

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #16,287 of 25,560
My mind will be made up for me most likely. Doubt we'll ever see an EML 20B-V4 Circlotron, and that's a lot more money anyway. All I know is, I've only got one amp upgrade and one DAC upgrade left!
The question is...will you pay for it ? If someone was to specifically made this amp you are dreaming off and is one of a kind for $65k ?

I mean, anything can happen if you throw enough money at it ? Lol. I am going back to enjoying my T2 and 009S for the night

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #16,288 of 25,560
I'm thinking about replacing the earpads on my Lambda Signature Pro, because they're really old, but at the same time: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and they ain't exactly "broke."

They still sound fantastic, of course, even though the pads don't make a seal even a little bit (in contrast my SR-407 pads make a strong seal). I don't know what to expect new pads to do to the sound. Do most people find that to sound better, subjectively? Is there even any difference in the sound, and the primary benefits to new pads are mostly just comfort related?

I believe they are still on their original pads! They must have been made in the mid-1980s I think?

Are there any different options when it comes to replacing Lambda earpads? Is the Stax OEM stuff you can ship from Japan the only choice? I love Dekoni's pads and I have a pair on every non-stax I own, but so far they haven't returned my email asking about Lambdas.
I don't know how new pads affect the sound of your Lambdas or even how they are attached (glue?) and wether it's a good idea to replace them. However, Vesper Audio make custom earpads and they have made a few pads for Stax Lambdas. Also, they are not outrageously expensive for what you get.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #16,289 of 25,560
I don't know how new pads affect the sound of your Lambdas or even how they are attached (glue?) and wether it's a good idea to replace them. However, Vesper Audio make custom earpads and they have made a few pads for Stax Lambdas. Also, they are not outrageously expensive for what you get.

The newest lambdas use a somewhat loose attachment system, whereas the older ones used glue. I think the change was made to make pad-switching easier. I have a suspicion that it's been responsible for the new lambdas' more drastic bass roll-off. Having modded pads in the past (jerg mod for Hifiman planars) and crafted a DIY pair for my L300, I'm not too convinced that changing pads do a whole lot to change sound, except to provide a different degree of seal, and thicker pads do tend to widen the soundstage slightly at the expense of intimacy.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #16,290 of 25,560

Lambda Sig = best Lambda ever :)

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back