The Stax Thread III
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #16,186 of 25,558
Someone should make a stax energizer/DAC dongle for the new iphones.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #16,188 of 25,558
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #16,189 of 25,558
iPhone camera adapter + USB cable + SRM-D10?

In other news, I am borrowing Kimber Kable Hero AG interconnects and I really like them in my system. My new favorite so far. I'm surprised the tonality isn't more different than the original Hero, considering the change from copper to silver.

I would not say the improvement is 1:1 with the price difference or even close, but it is nice to hear some slight improvements in transparency and imaging and bass resolution and heft. Going to try the Kimber KCTG and AudioQuest Wind next. Despite owning an SR-009, I am no longer afraid of silver.

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #16,192 of 25,558
iPhone camera adapter + USB cable + SRM-D10?

In other news, I am borrowing Kimber Kable Hero AG interconnects and I really like them in my system. My new favorite so far. I'm surprised the tonality isn't more different than the original Hero, considering the change from copper to silver.

I would not say the improvement is 1:1 with the price difference or even close, but it is nice to hear some slight improvements in transparency and imaging and bass resolution and heft. Going to try the Kimber KCTG and AudioQuest Wind next. Despite owning an SR-009, I am no longer afraid of silver.

Now I wanna try that just for kicks...the idea of walking around campus with stax is 1) terrifying from a monetary liability standpoint and 2) absolutely hilarious. I wonder hom much they'd throw stones and tomatoes at me? They look soooo old. I like the look...but most beats-lovers...probably don't.

I'm honestly not surprised they make a difference with an audio path as high quality as the one you're working with. I used some silver cabled with my LZ-A4's. Maybe there was a difference, but it was small enough that it may have been placebo. Unfortunately, the cable broke when I used it as a dog leash to get someone's dog out of a friend's car at a bar...someone had just pulled a knife, and we were trying to get away before fights broke out, so the cable was the least of my worries.

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #16,194 of 25,558
I'm listening to both 007Mk1 and HE-6, same source and preamp, just different amps, obviously. They sound close. Perhaps the HE-6 has a closer sound, like first row vs. third row.

So HE6 has a smaller soundstage? or does it have to do with mid-range volume?

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #16,196 of 25,558
For me, a lot of DACs sound similar.

For Stax headphones though, the amps make a big difference, especially when listening loud.

With summit-fi sound, even minor improvements make a huge difference for enjoyment. A "perfect" sound is 2-3x better than a 99% perfect sound, because the smallest imperfection prevents full musical absorption.

I think this is why we have so many people who don't believe xyz when it comes to summit-fi.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #16,197 of 25,558
For me, a lot of DACs sound similar.

For Stax headphones though, the amps make a big difference, especially when listening loud.

With summit-fi sound, even minor improvements make a huge difference for enjoyment. A "perfect" sound is 2-3x better than a 99% perfect sound, because the smallest imperfection prevents full musical absorption.

I think this is why we have so many people who don't believe xyz when it comes to summit-fi.

Yeah, that's the sense I'm getting. Some people say op-amp tweaks do nothing...but the changes are pretty big, IMO. So's 254kbps/FLAC. Not necessarily super evident...but you know after a bit that something's off with a bad op-amp or a 254 kbps file. Heck, even 16-bit 44100hz vs 32-bit 192000hz. Not "wow, this is as audible as beas vs k7xxx", but "yeah that sounds...more realistic, but I'm not sire how".

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #16,199 of 25,558
Why would you be afraid of silver ? 009 just makes it sound good if the good details are there, and reveal bad record if it really is there. Silver is everywhere in my system

So it makes a difference in high-end stuff? I'm considering getting silver interconnects for my Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back