The Stax Thread III
Aug 24, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #16,066 of 25,678
Hah yeah, no doubt I'm enjoying the BHSE. Perhaps my wallet will have the appetite for T2 some day. :)

I wish it was Champagne, that finish is gorgeous. I upgraded from a KGSShv, I would say the difference is noticeable but not night and day. I think it sounds great w/ stock tubes already but I do have some Svetlana Winged C en route per @joseph69's recommendation.

Anyway, here's my humble setup!

xqy45Nj.jpg
Setup looks awesome!! Those Utopias were nice but I'm glad you've stepped up to this. Yes, consensus is the BHSE is better than KGSShv. And I've heard a lot of KGSShv's - BHSE (and Carbon) bests them all. But yes, some of those better KGSShv's can sound really great - they're not left too much in the dust by the BHSE.

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #16,068 of 25,678
@Whitigir
After looking at the photo posted by @koven, I realized that Stax even suspends the headphones by the suspension strap. :astonished:

Before I got the stand I just left mine in the box.

I have to admit it's a bit unsettling to leave the headband stretched but it is a Stax stand afterall, I assume it's fine?!

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #16,069 of 25,678

I have to admit it's a bit unsettling to leave the headband stretched but it is a Stax stand afterall, I assume it's fine?!
I’ve done it for years now on my 009; no sign of problems yet. I like the Stax stands. More problematic I think would be if it compressed the pads on one end.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #16,071 of 25,678
I sure would like HeadAmp to start making Grounded Grids, in a chassis very much like the BHSE's.
Those with both have stated that they sound very similar and I think justin stated something along the lines of that he had parts for years more of BHES so this would seem rather pointless.

He is working on his own design that unfortunately there is very little know other than its existence and a few other unconfirmed anecdotes.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #16,072 of 25,678
Hah yeah, no doubt I'm enjoying the BHSE. Perhaps my wallet will have the appetite for T2 some day. :)

I wish it was Champagne, that finish is gorgeous. I upgraded from a KGSShv, I would say the difference is noticeable but not night and day. I think it sounds great w/ stock tubes already but I do have some Svetlana Winged C en route per @joseph69's recommendation.

Anyway, here's my humble setup!

xqy45Nj.jpg

All right. That is veeeeeery nice indeed.

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #16,073 of 25,678
Good to hear. Yeah I like the stand as well. Just need a Stax dust cover now! :p

Yeah, I'm using the "Official" Stax stand and still need the dust cover as well!

Slightly off topic, I like your "poopy pants" description :p My HT subs are tuned to 13hz, but no idea if they hit 150dB...probably not. My room is horrible acoustically. Dual SVS PB-16 Ultras.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #16,075 of 25,678
I don't find it unsettling. Like @mulveling, I've had both of my Stax hanging from their suspension straps since new without issue. I'd also be more concerned about flattening the pads over time using the Stax stand as @mulveling mentioned. I actually keep a block of foam inside my 007 MK2 separating the bottoms of the pads from touching each other so they don't deform due to their slight clamping force from the absence of being designed without yokes. The 009 hang straight without any clamping force against the pads due to the yokes, so no issues there.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #16,077 of 25,678
^^^ This is what I do/have on my table next to my listening chairs, only for when they are in use otherwise they sit in my cabinet.

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #16,078 of 25,678

Letting any Stax on official Stax stand ends up by stretching the headpad a little. I've just changed the headpad on my 5 years old 009, and the stretch is noticeable. And I've always used my notorious toilet roll mod on the official stand : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/page-515#post-12249255 :sunglasses:

Except for my oldest ones (before the pad appeared with SR-Lambda in 1979), I'm using this thing as stand :
porte-mugs-fil-chrome.jpg

My Stax phones are suspended by the plastic arc, you can fit two of them on it, you can even put the official cover over it (but it's a tight fit), and it costs 10 to 14 €. Highly recommended :D

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back