The Stax Thread III
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #14,086 of 25,560
I'm. to familiar with the SR-Lambdas you've mentioned. Are these currently in production? Thanks.

Sorry to say Joseph that specific model is long gone from the new market. Of the current Stax the latest Lambda model would be the SR-507 unless they have snuck in something newer without me knowing about it. I have the one step below SR-407 Signature along with a SR-Lambda.

That said you do occasionally see the SR-Lambda for sale on the used market, usually nicely priced.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #14,088 of 25,560
I own a FBQ800, but its very easy to broken. and sound not good for me at all.
Schiit Loki Mini is THE BEST for me so far! its ULTRA HIFI and ULTRA transparent and ULTRA dynamic/punchy! its safest and strongest legal sonic heroin!!!lol mimic Fostex TH900 bass curve and then play some EDMs.Boom! I just decided to sell all dynamic driver headphones gears! no joke!
its literaly sound like amp connected to brain neurons! I can not imagine better sound than this! (PS i have heard Senn HE-1, you know what i mean! just buy Loki!)
EDIT: no i cant sell dynamic driver amps. i want to try focal clear and HD820 and LCDs etc etc Lol

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #14,089 of 25,560
I in my 007 sz3 replaced the cable by 925s. set the task to reduce the LF. It happened, not much, but it became more comfortable for me. But I was very surprised, the replacement for silver, I also added a width of the scene, super.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #14,091 of 25,560
@Pokemonn 's enthusiastic feedback about eqing the SR009 got me curious so I played a bit with peq today.

I made approximate changes, trying to keep the slopes gentle and, surprisingly, I don't feel I have lost any transparency. It gives the 009 much more kick and took the slight edge off upper mids.

This is so much easier than looking for a new headphone :wink:

IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg

cheers,
arnaud

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #14,092 of 25,560
Hello arnaud-san yes! DEQ2496 digital in/out is very tranceparent. I personally recommend to use DEQ2496's AES/EBU in/out with 3pin XLR to RCA exchanger. you can buy them at amazon etc. not expensive.
it accutually accept RCA COAX SPDIF in/out. if my memory correct its best way to get original least-jitter data to get in/out to DEQ2496. its sound most natural sound with DEQ2496 in my experience.(I used to test it with Denon middle class SACDP coax out)
Optical in/out has some jitter. it may sound bright/grainy. also DEQ2496's optical in/out connector socket are very very weak.its very easy to broken. so i recommend to use COAX.
I have read a local SR-009 users blog. he used -4dB@1kHz adjustment. its sound very natural when i tried.
and i recommend to try some treble EQing. its depend on arnuud-san's hearing loss level. age etc etc factors. its little bit difficult to calculate it since i am not an ear doctor...lol...
In my case, I just needed +6-10db boost over 1khz to 10khz. i can't hear over 12Khz sadly.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #14,093 of 25,560
Thank you @Pokemonn ,
yes I am using AES/EBU (the DEQ296 is sitting between SU-1 D/D and my Holo L1 DAC which is fed I2S otherwise).
arnaud

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #14,095 of 25,560
Hello arnaud-san yes! DEQ2496 digital in/out is very tranceparent. I personally recommend to use DEQ2496's AES/EBU in/out with 3pin XLR to RCA exchanger. you can buy them at amazon etc. not expensive.
it accutually accept RCA COAX SPDIF in/out. if my memory correct its best way to get original least-jitter data to get in/out to DEQ2496. its sound most natural sound with DEQ2496 in my experience.(I used to test it with Denon middle class SACDP coax out)
Optical in/out has some jitter. it may sound bright/grainy. also DEQ2496's optical in/out connector socket are very very weak.its very easy to broken. so i recommend to use COAX.
I have read a local SR-009 users blog. he used -4dB@1kHz adjustment. its sound very natural when i tried.
and i recommend to try some treble EQing. its depend on arnuud-san's hearing loss level. age etc etc factors. its little bit difficult to calculate it since i am not an ear doctor...lol...
In my case, I just needed +6-10db boost over 1khz to 10khz. i can't hear over 12Khz sadly.

How does the DEQ2496 compare to the Schiit Loki mini, from a transparency perspective?

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #14,096 of 25,560
How does the DEQ2496 compare to the Schiit Loki mini, from a transparency perspective?
I have not have a answer it since i have not bought good USB-COAX DD converter yet. maybe I will buy Schiit Audio Eter DD converter to test it. but i can say that Schiit Loki Mini has Strong Euphonic sound signature! at least. this is the reason why i think loki Mini is the savior for STAX!
anyway I slightly feel Schiit Loki mini sound better? maybe since i dont prefer digital stuff? I dont know well about the answer yet.
but Schiit Loki mini sounds Extremly good! with my SR-007 mk1. and pro is its lot cheaper than DEQ2496. and DEQ2496's con is it can't do DSD and over 96khz hi-rez stuff.(I personally dont do hi-rez stuff. another con of DEQ2496 is when if you boost bass/treble few db, you need to reduce pre-gain to avoid clip. weird thing is reducing gain may not sound good. its slightly lose dynamics i feel. Schiit Loki Mini doesnt have this issue. since its analog EQer.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #14,097 of 25,560
New portable Pocket Amp from STAX ! This is a good and big surprise !

I wonder how it will compeat against my KingSound M-03 which sound Very good with my SR009, and also can act as a battery vault for recharging my DAP, but, as opposed to the STAX SRM-D10, the KingSound do NOT includes a DAC, it is only anAmp (which is not a bad thing if you already have a TOL DAP).

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #14,099 of 25,560
For anyone wondering how the sr 007 does on the 252, it gets very quickly hard and screechy up top, congested and incoherent once you try listening toto satisfying volume levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back