The Stax Thread III
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #14,101 of 25,567
New portable Pocket Amp from STAX ! This is a good and big surprise !

I'm excited for this, but incredibly skeptical.

From a technical prespective - it takes a lot (A LOT meaning ~500V) to proeprly drive electrostatics, and from all my research, it's next to impossible to cram decent performance into something even the size of the SRM-300, let alone the 252s. I'm concerned that this will underperform for decently-versed Stax listeners. What scares me a little more is that this might demean the quality we've come to expect from elctrostatic headphones, especially for newcomers to the Stax market. I do see myself purchasing one though to get a feel for how it sounds, and what exactly it's doing.

What I was truly hoping for from Stax this release cycle was better coverage of their amp size tiers (between the 252s and the 353x for example) for some true beefy power. I'm gonna name drop KG here for a design request because I've looked at schematics for everything from the AURDIX to the eXStatA and haven't really seen anything promising between those two chassis sizes besides something like the KGSS Carbon Mini. If only there was some way to make these amps lighter and smaller :cry:

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #14,102 of 25,567
I'm excited for this, but incredibly skeptical.

From a technical prespective - it takes a lot (A LOT meaning ~500V) to proeprly drive electrostatics, and from all my research, it's next to impossible to cram decent performance into something even the size of the SRM-300, let alone the 252s. I'm concerned that this will underperform for decently-versed Stax listeners. What scares me a little more is that this might demean the quality we've come to expect from elctrostatic headphones, especially for newcomers to the Stax market. I do see myself purchasing one though to get a feel for how it sounds, and what exactly it's doing.

What I was truly hoping for from Stax this release cycle was better coverage of their amp size tiers (between the 252s and the 353x for example) for some true beefy power. I'm gonna name drop KG here for a design request because I've looked at schematics for everything from the AURDIX to the eXStatA and haven't really seen anything promising between those two chassis sizes besides something like the KGSS Carbon Mini. If only there was some way to make these amps lighter and smaller :cry:

Something like this?
DSC_0157-2.jpg

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #14,103 of 25,567
Stax enthusiasts, I have a question regarding SRM 252 amplifier.

Something I started noticing when driving the 007 mk1 through the 252 was as previously mentioned hardness/harshness in higher frequency (piano especially obvious). Now I have put the 007 to storage while I wait for my new amp and rather using the L300s. And the L300s sound is way less deteriorated through the 252, but on certain tracks (again, pianos especially) get a nasty harsh/hard sound to them. This is especially noticeable when the volume knob starts approaching 11/12 on the amplifier.

Does anyone have similar experiences with this amp?

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #14,104 of 25,567
I've found the 252 with a good external power supply is just fine on the 007 Mk I's if you aren't blaring the sound. Even a 1.5A 12VDC regulated wall wart with a polarity adapter will greatly improve the sound. And I say that as a guy running my 007's on a carbon right now. The little amps are vastly underrated if you only listen about 70-80db with some minor upgrades.

LQp2h7n.jpg

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #14,107 of 25,567
I've found the 252 with a good external power supply is just fine on the 007 Mk I's if you aren't blaring the sound. Even a 1.5A 12VDC regulated wall wart with a polarity adapter will greatly improve the sound. And I say that as a guy running my 007's on a carbon right now. The little amps are vastly underrated if you only listen about 70-80db with some minor upgrades.

LQp2h7n.jpg

I'm currently running my 252s off of the stock power supply. Can you link/picture yours? This would be a simple mod for me to do. I've currently replaced some caps, etc. but outside of that havent done anything major to it. I'm contemplating the mods outlined here, but I'm unsude if it's really worth my time compared to something like the KGSS mini pictured in the previous comments.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/srm252mod.546221/page-2#post-9055071

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #14,108 of 25,567
I built a Kevin Gilmore Golden Reference Low Voltage PSU. It's the box on the left side. You only need the positive rail really, but this was a spare parts build for me so I went whole hog. Even the wires for the transformer are a long mess because I didn't want to cut them down in case I wanted to use it for something else later.

86Wu0VS.jpg

A little 1.5A 12VDC regulated wall wart off an old external hard drive or computer router will do most of the same job though. Just gotta make sure the polarity is right as the Japanese standard is inverse to the USA/global one. but anything over the unregulated standard brick is a big improvement.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #14,110 of 25,567
I built a Kevin Gilmore Golden Reference Low Voltage PSU. It's the box on the left side. You only need the positive rail really, but this was a spare parts build for me so I went whole hog. Even the wires for the transformer are a long mess because I didn't want to cut them down in case I wanted to use it for something else later.

86Wu0VS.jpg

A little 1.5A 12VDC regulated wall wart off an old external hard drive or computer router will do most of the same job though. Just gotta make sure the polarity is right as the Japanese standard is inverse to the USA/global one. but anything over the unregulated standard brick is a big improvement.

You're telling me the little stax wallwart is a switching supply (i.e. it's not regulated)?? You're **** me - that can't be right...

In any case, I must test this theory. Into the junk electronics bag we go!

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #14,111 of 25,567
That one is about half the size of a KGSS mini though...

I looked at the site - this is the anniversary edition you're speaking of, right? I think it might be a good fit for me, however, I'd love to have something new introduced, or maybe an old design brought back and minified just like Birgir did for this one.

I'm also interested in this cute little tube amp (if any one has more info please PLEASE gimme. I can't find info on this anywhere besides the little blip on the Mjolinr Audio site:
A262947.jpg

"t also means we invest time to build something silly like the one above. :slight_smile: That is a full blown tube amplifier with a non switching power supply that sits comfortable in my palm."

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #14,112 of 25,567
You're telling me the little stax wallwart is a switching supply (i.e. it's not regulated)?? You're ****ting me - that can't be right...

In any case, I must test this theory. Into the junk electronics bag we go!

Mine sure is. It's like +18VDC unloaded. Just be extra sure on the polarity thing though for the replacement. Outside of the barrel should be hot and center pin ground, backwards from US standard. Otherwise you'll blow the amp.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #14,113 of 25,567
New portable Pocket Amp from STAX ! This is a good and big surprise !

I wonder how it will compeat against my KingSound M-03 which sound Very good with my SR009, and also can act as a battery vault for recharging my DAP, but, as opposed to the STAX SRM-D10, the KingSound do NOT includes a DAC, it is only anAmp (which is not a bad thing if you already have a TOL DAP).

Thank you for the info. I am using the KS M-03 Amp and the KS-H4. Using an Iphone 7 as the source. Find that it sounds in terms of volume low, but clear. Is the I-phone the limitation ? What should I change/incorporate ? Can the KS M-03 really handle the Stax - SR 009 ? Thanks and regards.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #14,114 of 25,567
Mine sure is. It's like +18VDC unloaded. Just be extra sure on the polarity thing though for the replacement. Outside of the barrel should be hot and center pin ground, backwards from US standard. Otherwise you'll blow the amp.

Damn, alright here's to finding something. Is my understanding correct here:

LPS (Linear power supply) is synonymous to Regulated Power supply?

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #14,115 of 25,567
Thank you for the info. I am using the KS M-03 Amp and the KS-H4. Using an Iphone 7 as the source. Find that it sounds in terms of volume low, but clear. Is the I-phone the limitation ? What should I change/incorporate ? Can the KS M-03 really handle the Stax - SR 009 ? Thanks and regards.

If you're cranking your phone to max then yes, this is most likely a phone volume level issue. The ideal solution would be to get a portable DAC that has a line level output (which is definitely going to be louder than your phone's output) and run that into the M-03.

I have some dacs I can reccomend but I'd rather you do some digging online (perchance look at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66xylk/guide_dac_amp_combo_units/)
A DAC/Amp will probably be the most versatile so you can use it with regular headphones too. I just want to avoid turning this thread into a DAC shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back