The Stax Thread III
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #14,056 of 25,487
The only reason to use a preamp is if you like the sound of the two together better than the T1 by itself, or for convenience, e.g. if you have different sources that you select with the Lyr2, and you want to select those different inputs for the T1 and you don't want to be plugging and unplugging cables.

The parallel RCAs on the T1 are a loop-out. In other words, an input signal goes into the T1 through one set of RCAs and out through the other set. The output signal is there regardless of whether the T1 is on or off. So if you have a cable going from source to preamp, or preamp to amp, you can splice in the T1 with another set of cables.

So for example, if you splice in the T1 between a source and the Lyr2, then you can listen to that source by the T1, or leave the T1 off, and listen to it through the Lyr2 and onto the speaker amp and speaker.

OTOH, if you splice in the Lyr2 and the speaker amp, you can select any source going to the Lyr2 and listen to it with the T1, or leave the T1 off and listen to the speaker amp and speaker.
Thanks for clarifying that. I never was really sure what preamps were for. I tried it out with the two amps and it got real fuzzy real fast. I could try tube rolling the Lyr to see if it makes it better, who knows what can happen. Can messing around with the balance between the volumes of the two amps yield a sweet spot of audio nirvana or is there some tried and true rule like preamp at 100% and power amp at a variable volume?

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #14,057 of 25,487
Preamps typically are for use with power amps. Since you have a lyr look at the vidar on schiits page, no volume control or anything.

There are those who use them for various reason with a second amp in the headphone world. Also your lyr is not a preamp.

This may be over simplifying.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #14,058 of 25,487
Preamps typically are for use with power amps. Since you have a lyr look at the vidar on schiits page, no volume control or anything.

There are those who use them for various reason with a second amp in the headphone world. Also your lyr is not a preamp.

This may be over simplifying.
OK, I see now. So basically a preamp is a glorified control box with volume :D

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #14,059 of 25,487
OK, I see now. So basically a preamp is a glorified control box with volume :D

Whoops, I was thinking the Lyr2 was a preamp because that is what you said you were asking about, but it's not. It's a headphone amp for non-electrostatic headphones. Something like the Saga is a preamp. My comments are for using a Saga or something like that, NOT for using a Lyr2. Using a Lyr2 into a T1 is using two headphone amps in a row. You should only use one headphone amp at a time.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #14,060 of 25,487
At some point i will report something of the new Canorum/Phenomenon V3 headphone.Completely new drivers and almost everything has changed including pads

10067092.jpg
10067093.jpg
10067094.jpg

Last edited: Today at 9:10 AM

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #14,061 of 25,487
I just recieved Schiit Loki Mini EQer today. WOW simply put Shiit Loki Mini EQer is THE SAVIOR FOR STAX!
Schiit Loki Mini is ULTRA transparent and sounds Great! and has good intuitive User Interface. I can clearly hear upstream gear my Luxman DA-200(2700$MSRP) DAC's warmth/tubuy/analogue/yummy sounds. when i switched to cheap Mojo, system sounds slight plasticky/non-organic/but acculate. you can clearly hear DAC diffrences via Loki unlike poor sounding digital AD-DA EQers.
and i have middle aged hearing loss of treble. it completly GONE! now I can hear music like teeneger and sounds ULTRA HIFI. its difference is something like between MONO and STEREO. not joke at all.

my setup:
iMac > Luxman DA-200 DAC > Schiit Loki Mini EQer > Stax SRM-717 > SR-007mk1 early version/009

this combo sounds completly fuller bass/punchy/dynamic/tuby/euphonic/yummy/smooth/crispy/hi-fi AT THE SAME TIME! and killed Luxman p-700u(6000$msrp) amped HD800!

Schiit Loki Mini = HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! ITS absolute MUST TO TRY! ITS SAVIOR FOR STAX USERS.

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-audio-loki-mini-four-band-equalizer-head-fi-tv.861331/

EDIT: if you live in japan. you must need the Sound House(Narita city's pro audio gear shop)'s AC 100V input/AC16V output wall wart. its dirt cheap. please no worry. Stock AC115V input wall wart may doent work in japan(it will humming).
EDIT2: WOW Loki Mini really works for 007 and 009 BOTH! I am deeply shocked!
hearing4-2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #14,062 of 25,487
Whoops, I was thinking the Lyr2 was a preamp because that is what you said you were asking about, but it's not. It's a headphone amp for non-electrostatic headphones. Something like the Saga is a preamp. My comments are for using a Saga or something like that, NOT for using a Lyr2. Using a Lyr2 into a T1 is using two headphone amps in a row. You should only use one headphone amp at a time.
Schiit says the Lyr 2 has preamp outputs for speakers. Am I missing some difference between powered speakers and a headphone+amp combo?

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #14,063 of 25,487
Schiit says the Lyr 2 has preamp outputs for speakers. Am I missing some difference between powered speakers and a headphone+amp combo?

The Lyr 2 has one set of RCA inputs and one set of RCA outputs, so if you plug cables into the outputs you can send the signal to a speaker amp and speakers, however it doesn't have any selection facilities like most preamps. So it would work as a preamp if you only had one source and your power amp didn't have an accessible volume control, but otherwise there is no benefit in using it as a preamp.

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #14,064 of 25,487
I just recieved Schiit Loki Mini EQer today. WOW simply put Shiit Loki Mini EQer is THE SAVIOR FOR STAX!
Schiit Loki Mini is ULTRA transparent and sounds Great! and has good intuitive User Interface. I can clearly hear upstream gear my Luxman DA-200(2700$MSRP) DAC's warmth/tubuy/analogue/yummy sounds. when i switched to cheap Mojo, system sounds slight plasticky/non-organic/but acculate. you can clearly hear DAC diffrences via Loki unlike poor sounding digital AD-DA EQers.
and i have middle aged hearing loss of treble. it completly GONE! now I can hear music like teeneger and sounds ULTRA HIFI. its difference is something like between MONO and STEREO. not joke at all.

my setup:
iMac > Luxman DA-200 DAC > Schiit Loki Mini EQer > Stax SRM-717 > SR-007mk1 early version/009

this combo sounds completly fuller bass/punchy/dynamic/tuby/euphonic/yummy/smooth/crispy/hi-fi AT THE SAME TIME! and killed Luxman p-700u(6000$msrp) amped HD800!

Schiit Loki Mini = HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! ITS absolute MUST TO TRY! ITS SAVIOR FOR STAX USERS.

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-audio-loki-mini-four-band-equalizer-head-fi-tv.861331/

EDIT: if you live in japan. you must need the Sound House(Narita city)'s AC 100V input/AC16V output wall wart. Stock AC115V input wall wart may doent work in japan(it will humming).
EDIT2: WOW Loki Mini really works for 007 and 009 BOTH! I am deeply shocked!

I do like that little EQ. Use the Loki in my system mainly because want some increased bass level....ESP9500 really needs more bass output for my taste... sounds just right with the 20Hz knob up to around 3:00 and the 400Hz slightly down - doesn't negatively affect the mids or highs. Will definitely be using it for the SR-L300 Limited as well once it arrives (after I get familiar with its sound.) Nice to have the bypass switch too, because the TH-X00 doesn't need low end enhancement at all...flip the bypass switch for the TH-X00s and then flip back to EQ for use with ESP950, HD700, etc...

i-CZ6LBMk-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #14,065 of 25,487
I do like that little EQ. Use the Loki in my system mainly because want some increased bass level....ESP9500 really needs more bass output for my taste... sounds just right with the 20Hz knob up to around 3:00 and the 400Hz slightly down - doesn't negatively affect the mids or highs. Will definitely be using it for the SR-L300 Limited as well once it arrives (after I get familiar with its sound.) Nice to have the bypass switch too, because the TH-X00 doesn't need low end enhancement at all...flip the bypass switch for the TH-X00s and then flip back to EQ for use with ESP950, HD700, etc...

i-CZ6LBMk-X4.jpg

Nice rigs you have there! I agree with you. estat needs bass enhancement for my preference too.
btw you can use 2khz knob to soften the sound. just rotate to left a bit to make sound soft. Humans perceive 2khz as hardnness of the sound. you can tweak hardness/softness of the headphone sound with Loki Mini too.
Maybe Schiit Loki Mini is Biggest and Greatest product ever roam on the planet for STAX!
Now I am very convinced with that estats can survive in the headphone industry! Wow!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #14,066 of 25,487
OK friends, this will be the last time I whine about this, I don't want to hog the thread, BUT:

ANY impressions on the following amps with the SR-007 MK1 is very much appreciated:

727II
007tii
SRM 1 mk2 pro

I can get the srm 1 considerably cheaper than the other two. I have done some research, and my impressions are:

Spritzer aka Stax God seems to think 727 is considerably better than 007 but needs feedback mod. Headphoneer reviewers enjoyed the 007tii more. Kenrockwell, whoever that is, recommended SRM 1 mk2 pro.

THIS IS AS PLACEHOLDER AMP UNTIL I CAN AFFORD A KGSSHV OR SIMILAR. NO NEED TO TELL ME TO GET A THIRD PARTY AMP :)

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #14,068 of 25,487
OK friends, this will be the last time I whine about this, I don't want to hog the thread, BUT:

ANY impressions on the following amps with the SR-007 MK1 is very much appreciated:

727II
007tii
SRM 1 mk2 pro

I can get the srm 1 considerably cheaper than the other two. I have done some research, and my impressions are:

Spritzer aka Stax God seems to think 727 is considerably better than 007 but needs feedback mod. Headphoneer reviewers enjoyed the 007tii more. Kenrockwell, whoever that is, recommended SRM 1 mk2 pro.

THIS IS AS PLACEHOLDER AMP UNTIL I CAN AFFORD A KGSSHV OR SIMILAR. NO NEED TO TELL ME TO GET A THIRD PARTY AMP :)

I demoed the 727II and the 007ta. I preferred the 007ta so that’s what I bought. No experience with the SRM- mk2 Pro though. I demoed the above amps through the 007, 009, L700 (which I now own) and L500.

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #14,069 of 25,487
I demoed the 727II and the 007ta. I preferred the 007ta so that’s what I bought. No experience with the SRM- mk2 Pro though. I demoed the above amps through the 007, 009, L700 (which I now own) and L500.

Thank you very much. Did you note any specific differences?

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #14,070 of 25,487
Thank you very much. Did you note any specific differences?

It’s been a while but from what I can recall the presentation of the 007ta seemed more natural and the instruments had better integration. I only gave the 727 about a minute per headphone and my personal stance is if it causes a frown on my face immediately it doesn’t get to many more chances. I gave it a chance with 4 different headphones and the frown existed for all 4. If it’s tolerable I’ll go for longer but the 727 wasn’t my cup of tea at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back