The Stax Thread III
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #13,624 of 25,505
I want to get the STAX 353x amp. Can anyone point me to the equipment i will need to make it work in the USA. Ill need some type of transformer right?

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #13,625 of 25,505
If you buy from a US dealer you don't need any step-up or step-down transformer. If you buy from European dealer you will need a step-up transformer, if you buy from a Japanese dealer you will need a step-down transformer. Unless you can open up the case and figure out how to reconfigure the transformer, which will involve some soldering, see posts 13573 and following above.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #13,626 of 25,505
100v Japanese models need a step down transformer. Some of these are buck boost 3 wire things that usually cause ground loops, the better ones are 4 wire.

if its a 230v European model, it can always be rewired for 115v, as there are no cut wires.

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #13,627 of 25,505
100v Japanese models need a step down transformer. Some of these are buck boost 3 wire things that usually cause ground loops, the better ones are 4 wire.

if its a 230v European model, it can always be rewired for 115v, as there are no cut wires.
That's what I thought. Any good recommendations for a step down transformer that would work?

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #13,628 of 25,505
Hi everyone! I've got L700 with an 006T energiser. It works for me, truly great sound, but I've got the itch to see if I can improve on it significantly without spending the earth...

I'd sourced a UK builder of KG designs with whom I had been discussing the possibility of a KGSSHV, KGST or (maybe) a KGSSHV Carbon to match with my L700s. I then lost my job, but now have a better job and am hoping to go back to him in the spring once I've replenished my savings etc.!

As I can't easily hear any of these, my questions are really to try to get a better idea of what improvements each possible route might offer over 006T, and also to determine whether the L700 is going to be found wanting should I end up with (say) the Carbon. That's a fair bit more expensive, and makes me also wonder whether perhaps trading the L700 for 007s and getting the KGSSHV might be a better overall result than the L700 with Carbon.

This would be easy if these things were possible to demo, but (in the UK anyway) there's a leap of faith required when it comes to Stax - I know I had no choice but to buy my (previous) 4040Sigs unheard, and then took the leap with the L700s. That all worked out great, but as the costs increase I start getting a bit uneasy about the risk of making a big mistake.

Just to muddy the waters a tiny bit more, I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility of buying a set of 009s at some point in the future, and I'm not sure which of the amp options would therefore be the best choice to handle whatever I end up doing in terms of the earspeakers. Might be I stick with L700s, go 007s or 009s. Don't know.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #13,629 of 25,505
You're definitely overthinking things.
None of the options are less than great, it's just that some are greater than others...........:ksc75smile:

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #13,632 of 25,505
I just bought a KGST to pair with an SR-007, sounds good to me. I may wind up with an SR-009 in the future but I'm not in a hurry. With a KGST, I'm done with wanting for a better e-amp. I briefly heard two BHSEs with my SR-007 before I bought a KGST, its better than a KGST. I also listened to an SR-009 on a BHSE, IMO its better than a SR-007. I never listened to a KGSSHV or Carbon. I was using a Stax SRM-717, its not a bad amp.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #13,633 of 25,505
This would be easy if these things were possible to demo, but (in the UK anyway) there's a leap of faith required when it comes to Stax - I know I had no choice but to buy my (previous) 4040Sigs unheard, and then took the leap with the L700s. That all worked out great, but as the costs increase I start getting a bit uneasy about the risk of making a big mistake.
I think this goes for most everyone, especially with wanting to hear the BHSE/Carbon/KGSShv/KGST due to them not being able to demo any of them unless you know someone with them or go to a meet. Even then, I feel you need to spend more time with each in your own system. I went through the same thing you're going through and did what I had to do by purchasing 3 out of the 4 amps mentioned above, and tried each (with different DACs as well) until I was where I wanted to be. It's pretty much the only choice you have when it comes to the KG amps. I went with the used market so I would save a bit and not lose so much when I sold to try the next.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #13,634 of 25,505
I think this goes for most everyone, especially with wanting to hear the BHSE/Carbon/KGSShv/KGST due to them not being able to demo any of them unless you know someone with them or go to a meet. Even then, I feel you need to spend more time with each in your own system. I went through the same thing you're going through and did what I had to do by purchasing 3 out of the 4 amps mentioned above, and tried each (with different DACs as well) until I was where I wanted to be. It's pretty much the only choice you have when it comes to the KG amps. I went with the used market so I would save a bit and not lose so much when I sold to try the next.

I agree. It is a long journey. If anyone really loves this hobby, it should definitely worth the time and effort. If anyone really wants the end game, just go with the high-end component. It really is the cheapest way instead of buying and selling the upgrades in the progress. The used market is a way to go. It saves and has some good exotic stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back