The Stax Thread III
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #12,677 of 25,523
Just an update on the issue I had with the SR009s. Sent back to Stax, respect to them for the speed of turn around. Received back today, all working OK, and back to loving my 009s with Mjolnir KGSS Carbon.
Did they fix it or replace it? I am looking to buy 009 new and i am planning to use with movies also. Will i still get that big soundstage and micro details?

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #12,678 of 25,523
Did they fix it or replace it? I am looking to buy 009 new and i am planning to use with movies also. Will i still get that big soundstage and micro details?

Movies ? Hell, I stream it with Netflix and YouTube from my iPad. Hell, yes....a lot of those you mentioned, and you know what ? It feels like enjoying movies in big theaters thta has 80-100 speakers built in :D

My 009 had scratches when it came, and Stax replaced it within a week (USA Stax)

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #12,679 of 25,523
I Live in Tokyo so am lucky in that respect, and when I received them back it was like receiving a new pair of Phones, but the enclosed documentation is in Japanese so I've no idea if my 009s are new or repaired, but I'm listening to them as I write this and they sound bloody fantastic. A caveat, make sure you amplify them with a KG amp. I have a virtually unused 100v Stax 007 t going really cheap if anyone's interested. :))

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #12,681 of 25,523
Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a while now and I am planning on getting into the hifi game soon here. I currently just have sennheiser ie80 iems which I have been using straight from my laptop and galaxy s8 with spotify.

I would like to get into the relatively high end of audio without too many wasted steps in between. I will probably listen to Tidal hifi lossless streaming exclusivly. I was originally planning on getting stax l700s but after looking at and hearing some about the Phenomenom Canorums I am quite interested in those. I will probably wait a bit just to see how the reviews are first though.

My main questions come with setting up the rest of the system. I would like to keep my overall budget around 2000 so I am wondering if any amp/dac setup paired with either of these headphones would do the headphones justice. I am mostly wanting to get a kingsound m03 portable amp so that I can listen in different rooms in my apartment and even while walking around in my apartment. My biggest concern is if this amp would sell either headphone short in comparison with getting a used stax 353x or similar amp and a cheapish dac. Unfortunately I can't afford a nicer amp/dac setup right now so I just want to get headphones that will scale up well in the future. Will either of these amps with Tidal hifi sound decent or am I getting into too high end of headphones with not nice enough amps/source? I would appreciate any advise people have on this situation. Thanks!!

Oh also I should specify that I mostly listen to pop and rock as well as music similar in style to the Chainsmokers. Will this music sound good with either of these systems or would you recommend going with something other than electrostatics?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #12,682 of 25,523
009 is not that detailed monster which makes one tired...not me and my Carbon or GG to the least
+1 from me, KGSS Carbon and 009s I can listen for hour after hour in sonic bliss.
+1 No problems listening whole day
009s maybe too fatigue for some

Yes I'm using for everything my PC can play (games, movies and music). Don't really need to go to movie theaters that much anymore. Only pay cinemas for good movies.

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a while now and I am planning on getting into the hifi game soon here. I currently just have sennheiser ie80 iems which I have been using straight from my laptop and galaxy s8 with spotify.

I would like to get into the relatively high end of audio without too many wasted steps in between. I will probably listen to Tidal hifi lossless streaming exclusivly. I was originally planning on getting stax l700s but after looking at and hearing some about the Phenomenom Canorums I am quite interested in those. I will probably wait a bit just to see how the reviews are first though.

My main questions come with setting up the rest of the system. I would like to keep my overall budget around 2000 so I am wondering if any amp/dac setup paired with either of these headphones would do the headphones justice. I am mostly wanting to get a kingsound m03 portable amp so that I can listen in different rooms in my apartment and even while walking around in my apartment. My biggest concern is if this amp would sell either headphone short in comparison with getting a used stax 353x or similar amp and a cheapish dac. Unfortunately I can't afford a nicer amp/dac setup right now so I just want to get headphones that will scale up well in the future. Will either of these amps with Tidal hifi sound decent or am I getting into too high end of headphones with not nice enough amps/source? I would appreciate any advise people have on this situation. Thanks!!

Oh also I should specify that I mostly listen to pop and rock as well as music similar in style to the Chainsmokers. Will this music sound good with either of these systems or would you recommend going with something other than electrostatics?

If L700 is the ultimate final pair of headphones then you can just grab it. Source is most important actually. I suggest grabbing a Denafrips Ares. Then add a little more money for a used 353x. This is for non mobile setup.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #12,683 of 25,523
Don't want to sound like a fanboy... but I've spent the last three weeks listening to my HD 800s while my 009s were away and now I've got them back what a a huge difference. Listening to Steve RV fan- bloody fantistic!! I'm there at the live performance. Thank you Stax and KG.

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #12,684 of 25,523

I am new to electrostatic world, but i have heard the Kingsound M-03 with 009 and it was stellar. The amp has more then enough power to drive them properly on the go.
Mine is coming today. If you want extra information PM.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #12,685 of 25,523
Another 2 hours of listening,the dynamic range is enormous on Canorum the xylophone on Jazz at the Pawnshop goes from quite to loud on a very large scale,you have almost switch your volume control
during the play.Before i ordered Canorum i was concerned about the liquidity wich wasn't best at all on Libratum version 1.I can confirm that Canorum is very liquid on the whole spectrum not just in the midrange.
Drum cymbals are as natural as it is possible.This phone has stunning easyness even the most complex passages are presented effortlessly.I'm very impressed how drums sound the drumhead is very real.
I'm writing this during listening ,the naturalness is phenomenal.I can confirm and i'm saying this only to me and through my own hearing that this is the most delicate experience after i first time heard Orpheus
back in 1993.
The Canorum farts easily or should i say it has "Canorum fart" :) i recommend avoiding to touch the drivers during listening.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #12,689 of 25,523
Thank you for doing the video. I like the looks of it less the headband.Too many bolts. What's the weight by the way? Where can we order it from and read the specifications?
if somebody can read this:
Тип звукоизлучателя Электростатический

Частотный диапазон 20 — 30000 Гц

Напряжение Bias 580 В

Вес ( без учета провода) 480 г

orders here:
http://phenomenon.su

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back