The Stax Thread III
Aug 23, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #12,662 of 25,592
Canorum on head picture, i cannot comment the sound yet,the seller said i have to run these couple of days before making reviews.A small issue is that drivers make some hiss noise and hope it disappers at some point.These appear warmer than Libratum wich i heard at some point

can5.jpg

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #12,663 of 25,592
Canorum on head picture, i cannot comment the sound yet,the seller said i have to run these couple of days before making reviews.A small issue is that drivers make some hiss noise and hope it disappers at some point.These appear warmer than Libratum wich i heard at some point

Is it just me or do those look huge?? :floatsmile:
As I have a big head it may not be an issue for me, but....

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #12,664 of 25,592
What amplifier is being used? Is the implication here that you did not buy these, then?

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #12,665 of 25,592
I bought these and keep them, the big size is optical illusion.I use Quad amplifier wich suits excellent with Canorum and Staxes.The Libratum owner and the seller said that the sound develops when running couple of days so i wait .I'm listening with these already some hours and confirm it's somekind of mixture between 007/009

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #12,666 of 25,592
I bought these and keep them, the big size is optical illusion.I use Quad amplifier wich suits excellent with Canorum and Staxes.The Caronum owner and the seller said that the sound develops when running couple of days so i wait I'm listening with these already some hours and confirm it's somekind of mixture between 007/009

Thanks for clarifying.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #12,667 of 25,592
I bought these and keep them, the big size is optical illusion.I use Quad amplifier wich suits excellent with Canorum and Staxes.The Libratum owner and the seller said that the sound develops when running couple of days so i wait .I'm listening with these already some hours and confirm it's somekind of mixture between 007/009
How is the vertical sound staging and tonal balances

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #12,668 of 25,592
The hiss is gone and the phone is now dead silent i think it was a humidity issue.The phone seems to need power something like Gilmore designs / Blue Hawaii etc.
The tonal balance is excellent and appear natural it's a relaxed sound like HE-90 and 007 but not as "hot" as 009.It's like a 009 with some warmth.Nothing is lost
deep in the soundstage everything is nicely presented on the" halfway" distance.It's not overly dynamic or nervous ,relaxed and natural comes to mind.If you compare to 007
the Stax appear little bit "sleepy" and the Canorum feels faster.

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #12,670 of 25,592
If you compare 009 /HE-90 and Omega 1 they are quite different from each other,the Canorum is the fourth take,it's closest to a mixture of HE-90 and Omega 1.It's not a detail monster like 009 wich makes you tired ,i had a listening session of 6 hours with Canorum without fatique.I can do the same long sessions with 007/ HE-90/Omega1.
I call the 009 a modern version of e-stats where you get pinpoint imaging and monster details but somehow the feeling/music is lost.The Canorum belongs clearly to the old style of e-stats where music comes first .The Canorum doesn't wow you it says sit down listen to me and take time to find out what i have to offer.Jazz at the Pawnshop was my reference recording,there are not many e-stats that can handle it,with most of them you are staying in the hallway looking into the club but with HE-90/Omega1 you are on the chair in the club the same with Canorum.With the 009 i have somehow the feeling that i'm little bit squeezed and i can't be part of the relaxed atmosphere.There are different "sizes" how phones present soundstaging orchestras etc.where Focal Utopia gives a small size and HD-800 a large size.On the large size are HE-90 /Omega1 and Canorum wich could be the largest of all e-stats, 007 appear smaller and 009 somewhere between.

(have to do more listening to find out any flaws in the Canorum)
the HE-90 occasionally is little bit "out of phase" the Canorum appear to have the same feature,it's not a negative thing because it makes music sound more alive.

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #12,672 of 25,592
If you compare 009 /HE-90 and Omega 1 they are quite different from each other,the Canorum is the fourth take,it's closest to a mixture of HE-90 and Omega 1.It's not a detail monster like 009 wich makes you tired ,i had a listening session of 6 hours with Canorum without fatique.I can do the same long sessions with 007/ HE-90/Omega1.
I call the 009 a modern version of e-stats where you get pinpoint imaging and monster details but somehow the feeling/music is lost.The Canorum belongs clearly to the old style of e-stats where music comes first .The Canorum doesn't wow you it says sit down listen to me and take time to find out what i have to offer.Jazz at the Pawnshop was my reference recording,there are not many e-stats that can handle it,with most of them you are staying in the hallway looking into the club but with HE-90/Omega1 you are on the chair in the club the same with Canorum.With the 009 i have somehow the feeling that i'm little bit squeezed and i can't be part of the relaxed atmosphere.There are different "sizes" how phones present soundstaging orchestras etc.where Focal Utopia gives a small size and HD-800 a large size.On the large size are HE-90 /Omega1 and Canorum wich could be the largest of all e-stats, 007 appear smaller and 009 somewhere between.

(have to do more listening to find out any flaws in the Canorum)
the HE-90 occasionally is little bit "out of phase" the Canorum appear to have the same feature,it's not a negative thing because it makes music sound more alive.
So it sounds like orpheus clone then?

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #12,674 of 25,592
Just an update on the issue I had with the SR009s. Sent back to Stax, respect to them for the speed of turn around. Received back today, all working OK, and back to loving my 009s with Mjolnir KGSS Carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back