The Stax Thread III
Mar 19, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #11,432 of 25,560
Hello!

I am an avid reader, but lazy poster in headfi. 

I just (2 weeks ago) bought a Stax SR 007 headphone and I had to wait nearly 3 months to get it delivered from Japan to the european dealer, because he was out of stock.

So I assume it is the one of the latest serial numbers and it is an SZ3 - 22xx.

Btw. the sound is marvelous and I prefer it to the Mk1 and all other Staxes. I even like it much more than the 009 (sidenote: my listening levels are very low: ca. 63-67dBA measured with the microphone between ear and headphones).

I mostly use it with a SRM-353x (volume up to 9 o'clock) and with a SRM-717 (volume from 9 upwards - mostly up to 10). IMHO at low levels the 353x is a very very good sounding amp for classical music, even for the 007.

Hope this helps!

Martin

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #11,434 of 25,560
Quote:
Mk2.9? Im confused now. My stax has the serial # as SZ-3 1951, so i guess mine isnt that one...

Rest assured, yours is a latest type, "good" Mk2.

Is there any significant serial number distinguishing "good" 007s from "bad" 007s? I have been searching this thread but found nothing.

My 007 is SZ3-1186. Is it "good" or "bad" ? 2.5 or 2.9? I am confused.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #11,435 of 25,560
  Quote:

Is there any significant serial number distinguishing "good" 007s from "bad" 007s? I have been searching this thread but found nothing.

AFAIK there is no serial number that distinguishes the latest 007s, however, spritzer started talking about a Mk 2.9 in early 2015 so if you bought one since then you should be good.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #11,436 of 25,560
  Quote:

AFAIK it's based on the event around 2014 when Spritzer gave a second chance to the 007A or Mk2 and noticed (on HC) they sound better than before. With this, and the with port mod exalted by Bob Katz and Tyll, a legend was born. So as a rule, the ones manufactured from 2014-2015 (possibly also earlier) are susceptible to fall under this classification :).

Mine was a SZ3-15xx. I have compared it with older (14xx) and newer serials and they sounded the same. It reacted very well to the mods I described earlier.

IMHO this thing about the serial numbers of the SZ3 007's is a bit overblown. However, there are definite and clear differences between the Mk1 70xxx  and later 007's that I have described earlier, but I paste the picture here. FR was taken with different SP levels, but the Mk1 sounded slightly louder. They are nearly identical.

Green: 007 Mk1 with 009 pads that contain stripped 007 foam + carbon foam inserts, and without the springs.
Red: 007 Mk2 with its own pads, without springs and stripped 007 foam (sounded the best).
Disregard the response below 40 Hz (coupling artefacts) and above 5k Hz (reflection artefacts). The FR don't illustrate well the perceived sound differences. The Mk1 is somewhat smoother, slightly deeper bass extension, but somewhat softer bass impact, more open in the midrange (even though after mods the Mk2 opened up considerably), and with different treble structure.

Probably there was a sourcing change for the diaphragm material for the 007, at least twice. For the first one, I don't  know exactly (others maybe do) when did it happen and whether was there an overlap with changing version majors (SZ1), and changing from the old style carbon box with ugly rubber corner to the round corner nicer boxes. Both have got theories in the past.
I have the ugly box and 703xx, so I am pretty sure I have a Mk1, and with the diaphragm Stax have later also used for fixing broken SR-Omega drivers. When I have compared my modded 007 with the SR-Omega, they sounded very close, but still enough different (more elevated treble on the SR-Omega) that hints at different materials, although the diaphragm sizes and tensions are different, too.

The last diaphragm change likely coincides with the apparition of the SZ3 series, but I may be wrong on that (too) - somehow it doesn't add up to change materials without changing the major version. Also, it's likely there was another diaphragm change between the first and the last.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #11,438 of 25,560
  Quote:

How does it sound to you?

I have a 2016 SZ3 that sounds fine to me. I removed the springs mainly because I found the rotating pads quite annoying, so by removing the springs the pads stay where I like them
I also closed the bass port. Ay higher listening levels, I find my 007 to be an extremely solid performer, I just prefer the sound-signature of my 009 more.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #11,439 of 25,560
Thanks guys! I already know that I prefer my 009 over SR-L700 (longterm) and I just bought used 007s to form my own opinion on 007. The 007 are interesting. After two days, I think that I prefer them over my SR-L700.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #11,440 of 25,560
  How does it sound to you?

I have a 2016 SZ3 that sounds fine to me. I removed the springs mainly because I found the rotating pads quite annoying, so by removing the springs the pads stay where I like them
I also closed the bass port. Ay higher listening levels, I find my 007 to be an extremely solid performer, I just prefer the sound-signature of my 009 more.

Any pointers to removing the springs to avoid the pads rotating? I find this highly annoying as well. Always have to double check whether the pads are in the correct position before putting them on. And after putting them off, there's no guarantee the pads stay that way.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #11,441 of 25,560

Any pointers to removing the springs to avoid the pads rotating? I find this highly annoying as well. Always have to double check whether the pads are in the correct position before putting them on. And after putting them off, there's no guarantee the pads stay that way.

Zolkis previously pointed out that this makes them sound more open/cleaner and the bass more textured. i took one off, and i noticed the vocals had more air on one side, so this opted me to take the other one off. I though that there was a glariness in the upper mid/treble with them in, which made sense in my head because metal is big league reflective acoustically, so i opted to take it out because of this assumption as well. Needless to say i haven't felt the glariness since then.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #11,442 of 25,560

Zolkis previously pointed out that this makes them sound more open/cleaner and the bass more textured. i took one off, and i noticed the vocals had more air on one side, so this opted me to take the other one off. I though that there was a glariness in the upper mid/treble with them in, which made sense in my head because metal is big league reflective acoustically, so i opted to take it out because of this assumption as well. Needless to say i haven't felt the glariness since then.

I was mainly asking whether there are any written instructions on how to do it :)

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #11,443 of 25,560

I was mainly asking whether there are any written instructions on how to do it :)

literally just take off the pads, and you will find a big metal ring. in the middle of the cup. Then pull off. I posted a pic of what it looks like a few pages back

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #11,444 of 25,560
Seems that there are quite some good MODs available for the SR007, but.... are there some (good) MODs for the SR009 ?   

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #11,445 of 25,560
  literally just take off the pads, and you will find a big metal ring. in the middle of the cup. Then pull off. I posted a pic of what it looks like a few pages back

I may try it one day... just found the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7aMtuRJ7c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back