The Stax Thread III
Jun 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #9,046 of 25,543
  I recommend the KGST over the KGSS.  With the KGST, you can always roll tubes for better sound despite limited tube choices.  I find the KGST to be quite a capable amp only loosing out to the full-sized KGSSHV in term of soundstage and resolution...but it also make up with better midrange purity.

As per Birgir…no rolling tubes in the KGST (6S4A ONLY) I own one and asked him and this was his response…"it will blow up"! 
eek.gif

smile.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #9,047 of 25,543
  As per Birgir…no rolling tubes in the KGST (6S4A ONLY) I own one and asked him and this was his response…"it will blow up"! 
eek.gif

smile.gif

Are you kidding?  You can try different brands of 6S4As.  I'm not suggesting anyone to try different tube type beside 6S4A varieties.  For instance I do know that the GE & RCA do sound different with RCA having more sparking energy up top and better sense of 3-D staging.  I actually owned one of this bad boy before.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #9,048 of 25,543
I thought that when you roll tubes, you usually use the exact same tube type, just from different origins or brands. That's what I do (except when it is absolutely certain that it a name change or branding change only).

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #9,049 of 25,543

Yes, I would take a KGSSHV, but can't justify the additional $$$, as this will only further delay the Carbon purchase. For now I just want something that will let me enjoy SR-009 at a half-decent level and at the same time let me reach a Carbon asap.

Ah, ok -- then a KGST would be my choice. I was very underwhelmed the few times I heard a plain KGSS w/ 007 several years ago. Though I suspect that patient trolling of the FS forums would eventually yield a good KGSShv build for a price not much above the typical KGST.

And yeah, as Purk said there are at least a couple brands of 6S4A, and if you believe at all in tube rolling (and I most certainly do), then they're worth rolling into a KGST to find your favorite. The KGST pairs well with the 009 and L700.

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #9,050 of 25,543

Yes, I would take a KGSSHV, but can't justify the additional $$$, as this will only further delay the Carbon purchase. For now I just want something that will let me enjoy SR-009 at a half-decent level and at the same time let me reach a Carbon asap.

I have a 727ii I would sell for a really cheap price. 120v. so no transformer/mods needed. I felt it was really nice amp with the 009's and could not pick a favorite between the 007's and 009's on the kgsshv through my Pavane where I could with the 727ii, def. the 009's. I think my kgsshv is voiced more for the 007 so it is something to consider when getting a kgsshv. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #9,051 of 25,543

I thought that when you roll tubes, you usually use the exact same tube type, just from different origins or brands. That's what I do (except when it is absolutely certain that it a name change or branding change only).

Are you kidding?  You can try different brands of 6S4As.  I'm not suggesting anyone to try different tube type beside 6S4A varieties.  For instance I do know that the GE & RCA do sound different with RCA having more sparking energy up top and better sense of 3-D staging.  I actually owned one of this bad boy before.

No I'm not kidding. Rolling tubes is trying different tubes as much as trying different brands, and your post seemed to have suggested different tubes other than the 6S4A (or at least I interpreted it this way) not different brands. And of course I know I can use any brand  as long as it is a 6S4A.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #9,052 of 25,543
No I'm not kidding. Rolling tubes is trying different tubes as much as trying different brands, and your post seemed to have suggested different tubes other than the 6S4A (or at least I interpreted it this way) not different brands. And of course I know I can use any brand  as long as it is a 6S4A.

And why would I suggested that? No worries...we are on the same page now. I hope others would not blame both of us for blowing up their amps.:grin:

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #9,054 of 25,543

Then I would buy a used Stax SRM-717 for about 800 USD and save for the BHSE or Carbon. Something to bear in mind, the BHSE is on it's last production batch number 5 and I am not sure what Justin will make beyond that running out. A Carbon is down to finding a builder or a good DIY completed copy. IMO I would buy the 717 and put a repo on the BHSE if you can find the money in 6 months which is roughly when it would land / asking for the last 75% payment.

If however you are 2 years away then I would get hold of a KGSShv Sanyo off-board as to me that amp sounds great with the 009 and warms it up just enough to be a balanced system. PM purk before you buy a KGSShv as he has had lots of the different versions and should be able to point you in the right direction, whereas I have only heard the Sanyo and going of others advice.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #9,056 of 25,543
I'd never sell mine at such silly low price. I'd rather risk ruining through a mod than this or I'd have to be pretty desperate about the money.
Now, for anyone on the fence, that's an incredible (did I say silly) deal, you should go ahead and rip it off jibzilla's hands :)
Arnaud

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #9,057 of 25,543

So the issue is that tube rolling can refer to both, because of the inexactitude of the phrase.  It can mean trying different brands and vintages of one tube type to "season to taste" - perfectly OK,. Or, it can mean shoving any tube that will physically fit or using adapters to go even further afield and judging the results based on two criteria - first, the amp doesn't blow up, and second, do you like the sound.  Here's the thing, and I'm sure both you and purk know this.  Different tube types have significant differences in operating parameters, and competent designers design for specific tubes based on those parameters.  Shoving different tube types willy nilly into a competent design will generally screw up the sound - whether you like the results or not, the result is unlikely to be a properly working circuit, unless the designer specifically took this into account and is willing to say so.  Even then, they will generally limit the selection of tube types. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #9,058 of 25,543

So the issue is that tube rolling can refer to both, because of the inexactitude of the phrase.  It can mean trying different brands and vintages of one tube type to "season to taste" - perfectly OK,. Or, it can mean shoving any tube that will physically fit or using adapters to go even further afield and judging the results based on two criteria - first, the amp doesn't blow up, and second, do you like the sound.  Here's the thing, and I'm sure both you and purk know this.  Different tube types have significant differences in operating parameters, and competent designers design for specific tubes based on those parameters.  Shoving different tube types willy nilly into a competent design will generally screw up the sound - whether you like the results or not, the result is unlikely to be a properly working circuit, unless the designer specifically took this into account and is willing to say so.  Even then, they will generally limit the selection of tube types. 

Thanks for the input.
Yes I understand that amps/tubes are made differently and will/will not work correctly, or worse blow your amp. 
eek.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #9,059 of 25,543
Hi!!
Apologizes once again . Now not only for my poor english but also for my poor technical knowledge.

Imagine this situation:

HE60 ---RESISTOR---STAX MALE PLUG--><---STAX FEMALE PUG---HE60 CONNECTOR===HEV70

Im sure to put a 5Mohm resistor to connect the Baby Orpheus to the Stax amps and try to sell my HEV70. So the idea is to cut the HE60 original cable about 10/15 inches before the HE60 plug (the cable is too long) and install there the Stax male coonector. On the short cable putting a Stax female connector to he HE60 original plug.

Something like this:

After this process If I want to conect HE60 to HEV70 (with the adaptor and resistor installed in the long side of the cable) ¿What is the influence of the resistor there?

Thank you

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #9,060 of 25,543
Hi,

as many here, I'm also looking for adequate amplification of Stax 009 headphones. The Japanese Yahoo auctions website shows this T2 or kind of T2 amplifier:

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=w78464540

Now, my question is, what kind of amplifier is this? There is a posibility of corresponding with the dealer which I tried, but I got no answer. Is anyone out there to read the Japanese version of the offer and understand its technical description? What's 'chock trance drive' apart from that it sounds exciting?

The Japanese version:

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w78464540

Thanks!
Adrian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back