The Stax Thread III
May 17, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #8,821 of 25,505
Ouch, as if the O7mk1 needs to sound even warmer. I know you inquired about my 727 amp but, honestly, this is just going to sound dreadful...

Arnaud

Actually I used to own the 007mk1 with the 323s, and this was the mod I used to make them sound so much better, try it out if you like, then post back. I am using the Realiser though, and it really enhances the out of head experience. Tightens up the bass and gives you a lot better definition.

And the comfort is way better.

I also successfully modded my HE400i's with this method. To me it is better anyways, each to there own.

I recently got another 007Mk1, were are the serial numbers, want to know my version?

May 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #8,822 of 25,505
Sold my O7mk1 already so won't be me. For the imaging, I can imagine changing the pads depth and to some extent inclination as a major influence on the sound.

My comment was more about killing of high frequencies with sponge like material (although what you use may be quite poor sound absorber especially if compressed). To my ears, even out of BHSE, the mk1 was too slow sounding, lacking dynamics and part of the "problem" is the voicing.

But you're correct, some can't stand the 009 and only the 007mk1 will do so, to each his own. BTW, the SR009 with the realiser is something to behold :wink:.

Arnaud

May 17, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #8,823 of 25,505
The 009 would surely be an upgrade, maybe some time soon if I could get one cheap enough on the used market, until then the MK1 will have to do.

I have heard that the 009 is a fussy customer to drive, I am not into bright sounding headphones either. I did briefly hear them at a store with the MK2's, but it was not a good enough experience to go buy, can't say I was blown away. Probably need the BHSE to do them justice. A BHSE and a 009 is way above my budget.

I am sure if I lived with the 009 and they were paired with the right amp, then I would see what they can do. One day.

At the moment my modded 400i's are very dynamic and clean sounding with a 64w amp behind them. Shootout between the two soon, HE6 vs MK1 on the realiser coming up soon, damn that will be the showdown. Stax have the imaging and air, but the Hifiman's have the dynamics and slam factor.

I remember hearing a phone ring while using the MK1's with the Realiser watching a movie, damn I thought the phone was coming from my apartment, LOL. Turned around to look for the phone and then "realised" I had been tricked by the realiser. I have not experienced that type of effect with the Hifiman's yet, hence the reason I am down the Stax road again. Just wish they had more slam for action movies, maybe stable mates are required.

May 17, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #8,825 of 25,505
Thanks, does the earpad extend outwards to accommodate the foam pad?

I wonder if Stax makes larger earpads. I'll be astonished if the SR-007A's earpads are smaller than the SR-007II.

Yes the earpads have enough room to fit 1cm of foam underneath. Tight fit but it doesn't stretch the material.

In the picture it looks as though the blue foam stops, but actually it goes the whole way round.

You need to cut the foam in the right shape, slightly smaller than the outside of the earpads in a circular diameter. Really easy to do.

May 17, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #8,826 of 25,505
Hi

I understand most of you may not own stax amps and I know they aren't considered the best around here, but it's now looking very likely that my move will be to get the 007mk2 and 006t kimik. (My HD800S goes on eBay tonight).

A couple of questions if that's alright:

The significant difference the kimik upgrade makes to those that have compared both (I won't be able to)?

And is it the norm to have to 'warm' the tubes up before listening sessions or can you just switch on and go? And is there kind of a risky time frame for it to be left throughout the day because an overheating risk? It's about to be summer here in the UK, and the house I rent gets VERY hot.

Thanks

May 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #8,828 of 25,505
Hi there.

After six or so years with an HD800 rig (and previously HD600 and other dynamic cans) I have finally made the leap to the world of electrostatic headphones with the purchase of a 404SE/006T combo.  Though I was very pleased with my HD800/SPL Phonitor rig, overall I prefer the 404SE/006T combo.  It easily out-resolves the HD800 and whilst I suspect there could have been a bit more to come from my HD800, the fact that I prefer a mid/entry-level Stax setup to a top-line dynamic set tells me I am on the right path.

Though I am not in any rush, I'd now like to at least open my mind to the possibility of a 'next' move - either in terms of amp or headphones.  My question is therefore whether I would be likely to get a pair of Omega/007mk2 or even 009s to work well enough with the 006T, or would a better amp and sticking with the 404SEs make more sense.  I'm inclined to think that the former route would make the most sense and sound better (even if not optimal for those headphones) than the latter. Sadly, I can't make the jump to a better amp AND headphone in one go, and not should I IMHO as I feel it's better to get to know components first, rather than introducing multiple changes and then not knowing what contributed what.

At this point, there's little that I don't like about the 404SE/006T.  It sounds very natural, transparent and uncongested.  The impact of sticks upon ride cymbal are just about bang-on, and guitars sound about right.  There might be a slight colouration to the sound - but in isolation I can't say, and up against the HD800 I wouldn't like to say which is the more coloured headphone.  Though I didn't expect to, I actually find the Stax bass to be fuller and more defined than that of the HD800 - which is pretty good to begin with.  I kinda miss my crossfeed and the other fancy features of the Phonitor, but overall it's a compromise that seems worth making.  

It might be I just settle where I am, leaving that can of worms unopened.  Lots to be said for that approach - it's certainly the least expensive.  However, I get the feeling that I've been given a taster of true magic that's just around the corner, and I'm deeply tempted to dive in....

May 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #8,830 of 25,505
  I own both the Master 7 and Yggdrasil, but exclusively use the Yggy with my Stax009 (no particular reason). 

I'll throw my M7 into my Stax setup, and let you know what I think tomorrow once I've sent the day listening to it. 

This would be really helpful, I just updated the following thread with my impressions of M7 in my Stax setup: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625793/audio-gd-master-7-discrete-fully-balanced-dac-pcm1704/3255#post_12587633

I would like to try an Yggy one day but I am very happy with M7 in my Stax setup. However, you need a very good digital transport to achieve the full potential of M7... This proved to be true in my Stax setup as well.

May 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #8,832 of 25,505
And is it the norm to have to 'warm' the tubes up before listening sessions or can you just switch on and go? And is there kind of a risky time frame for it to be left throughout the day because an overheating risk? It's about to be summer here in the UK, and the house I rent gets VERY hot.

Thanks

tubes needs to be warmed up before they'll conduct ... takes about 10-30s depending on the tubes and probably takes about half an hour or so before the tube settles
Leaving the amp turned on 24x7 only gonna shorten the lifetime of the amp and tubes.

May 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #8,834 of 25,505
Hi there.

, I'd now like to at least open my mind to the possibility of a 'next' move - either in terms of amp or headphones.  My question is therefore whether I would be likely to get a pair of Omega/007mk2 or even 009s to work well enough with the 006T, or would a better amp and sticking with the 404SEs make more sense. ... Sadly, I can't make the jump to a better amp AND headphone in one go, and not should I IMHO as I feel it's better to get to know components first, rather than introducing multiple changes and then not knowing what contributed what.
...  There might be a slight colouration to the sound ...

It might be I just settle where I am, leaving that can of worms unopened.  Lots to be said for that approach - it's certainly the least expensive.  However, I get the feeling that I've been given a taster of true magic that's just around the corner, and I'm deeply tempted to dive in....

In your situation, I'd recommend checking the new L700. It's a really neat pairing with Stax tube amps and less damaging to the wallet than trying to dive into Omega series now...

There was (still is?) one for sale below 1kUSD recently on this site I believe, quite a deal imo.

May 17, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #8,835 of 25,505
Hi

I understand most of you may not own stax amps and I know they aren't considered the best around here, but it's now looking very likely that my move will be to get the 007mk2 and 006t kimik. (My HD800S goes on eBay tonight).

A couple of questions if that's alright:

The significant difference the kimik upgrade makes to those that have compared both (I won't be able to)?

Thanks

The recommended amps for the SR-007II are either the SRM-727II or SRM-007tII. I enquired about the Kimik mod a while ago and wasn't convinced that the frozen tubes offered a noticeable improvement for £250. You could get similar results using compatible third party tubes with an SRM-007tII provided you're happy about rebiasing the amp. Stax amps don't rebias automatically.

I owned an SRM-006t for a number of years and the amp will only start working after about 5 seconds once the tubes have warmed up. I tried the SRM-006t with the SR-007A and found it lacking bass and the headphones work at their best with a Stax or Nezzar amp. I haven't tried the Kevin Gilmore or Blue Hawaii amps but they're difficult to find and much more expensive.

Apologies for not getting back to you regarding the HD800S. Unfortunately, I may end up getting the HD800S headphones because I find the SR-007A headphones uncomfortable. The earpads are too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back