The Stax Thread III
May 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #8,792 of 25,570
can you be so kind to explain a bit on how you think the ll2 compelement the tube amp, cannot seem to find much info on that?

Here's a comparison and write up about the VAW 8PS which was done previously: http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/1335. I hope this will be helpful to you. :)

May 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #8,793 of 25,570
  wouldn't you get something like ~200V on the BIAS pin if the diode is replaced by a 100V zener ? but you'll need a few more steps on the ladder to achieve PRO

Since the SRD-6/SB is a normal bias energizer, isn't that generally the idea? 

Were there any self-bias pro energizers? 

May 14, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #8,796 of 25,570
Here's a comparison and write up about the VAW 8PS which was done previously: http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/1335. I hope this will be helpful to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks a lot. read with great interest. sprks01 seems to like the ll the most then.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #8,797 of 25,570

have you compared the cavelli ss to the kgsshv? asstrostar59 thinks his kgsshv with sanyo fets is as good as the bhse and even better in the bass so i wonder if you have the same experience? also can you explain a bit how you experience the bhse to compliment the bhse?

I have never heard the KGSSHV, I believe that @MacedonianHero has both the LL and the KGSSHV and has posted about it, might search for it.

Um, do you meant the LL2 SS to compliment the BHSE? if so it boils down to SS versus Tube, and the way they two sound to me. the LL is sharper? and crisp where the BHSE has a smooth full sound. I hope that helps. Both sound very good with the 009. Which one I use depends on my mood and what I am listening to and what I want out of the session. It's good to have options.

I also have a normal bias plug on the BHSE for my Lambda NB earspeakers.

May 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #8,798 of 25,570

I had no idea!

At any rate, my normal-bias stats outnumber my pro bias stats by a large ratio. I actually own nothing that is cabled as a 5 pin pro-bias stax, since my pro bias items are an sr-001mk2 and an esp/950. 

I have two SRD-7 and i figure that if i upgrade one of them to the Mk2 configuration i can use it (with adapters) with my esp/950 and baby stax, and any pro bias stats i may buy in the future. And if i upgrade the other one as well, I can sell it for substantially more money. 

Converting the SRD-4 to an SRD-6/SB is just an academic exercise. 

I might be amenable to selling boards after i complete my own projects but they won't be half as nice as Birgir's since they'll be home-etched and lacking the component side silkscreen and i don't have much interest for myself in supporting misc non-stax bias voltages. They might be half as spendy tho. I have a fair bit of copper clad fr4 and plenty of etchant. What is in question is my inclination to etch, cut, drill, and stuff boards. 

I guess if there's interest from the entry-level stax crowd (of which i believe i am an elder statesman) in converting an srd-4 to a high bias energizer i could look into it. As was pointed out - just a few more doubling stages. 

May 14, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #8,799 of 25,570

I had no idea!

At any rate, my normal-bias stats outnumber my pro bias stats by a large ratio. I actually own nothing that is cabled as a 5 pin pro-bias stax, since my pro bias items are an sr-001mk2 and an esp/950. 

I have two SRD-7 and i figure that if i upgrade one of them to the Mk2 configuration i can use it (with adapters) with my esp/950 and baby stax, and any pro bias stats i may buy in the future. And if i upgrade the other one as well, I can sell it for substantially more money. 

Converting the SRD-4 to an SRD-6/SB is just an academic exercise. 

I might be amenable to selling boards after i complete my own projects but they won't be half as nice as Birgir's since they'll be home-etched and lacking the component side silkscreen and i don't have much interest for myself in supporting misc non-stax bias voltages. They might be half as spendy tho. I have a fair bit of copper clad fr4 and plenty of etchant. What is in question is my inclination to etch, cut, drill, and stuff boards. 

I guess if there's interest from the entry-level stax crowd (of which i believe i am an elder statesman) in converting an srd-4 to a high bias energizer i could look into it. As was pointed out - just a few more doubling stages. 

Had one of those SRD7SB back then ... and had it replaced by a SRD7mkii at some point ... as far as I remember it turned out to be better.
The SB-thing might be neat and tidy, but not the best option from a SQ perspective ...

May 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #8,800 of 25,570
  Had one of those SRD7SB back then ... and had it replaced by a SRD7mkii at some point ... as far as I remember it turned out to be better.
The SB-thing might be neat and tidy, but not the best option from a SQ perspective ...

Yeah. And it's not hard to drill a hole in the SRD-4 enclosure and add a cable strain relief and lamp cord for an AC supply for the bias circuit, but the rotary switch would have to be upgraded as well i think. 

Academic exercise, like i said. 

May 14, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #8,801 of 25,570

Yeah. And it's not hard to drill a hole in the SRD-4 enclosure and add a cable strain relief and lamp cord for an AC supply for the bias circuit, but the rotary switch would have to be upgraded as well i think. 

Academic exercise, like i said. 

You can do that ... though I would add an isolation transformer even though Stax didn't ...

May 15, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #8,802 of 25,570

I have never heard the KGSSHV, I believe that @MacedonianHero has both the LL and the KGSSHV and has posted about it, might search for it.

Um, do you meant the LL2 SS to compliment the BHSE? if so it boils down to SS versus Tube, and the way they two sound to me. the LL is sharper? and crisp where the BHSE has a smooth full sound. I hope that helps. Both sound very good with the 009. Which one I use depends on my mood and what I am listening to and what I want out of the session. It's good to have options.

I also have a normal bias plug on the BHSE for my Lambda NB earspeakers.

asstrostar59 talks about the bass being better on the kgsshv, but dunno if the same is true with the ll2 ... also asstrostar59 has sold his kgsshv so might be he changed his mind also ...i only have the 007 so it might be different with those?

May 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #8,803 of 25,570
  You can do that ... though I would add an isolation transformer even though Stax didn't ...

Why? 

I'm not sure that the safety of the device would be much enhanced, and in a small enclosure like a stax energizer, a wee little 1va transformer is still a 1 inch piece of steel with a 50 or 60hz field across it. It could introduce noise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back