The Stax Thread III
Feb 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #8,101 of 25,541

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
I have not tried Amazon, but since the sorbothane from eBay is especially made for enhancing audio I guess it is more appropriate for this use.

Not sure why you would think one is more appropriate than another for audio use, just because some guy on eBay lists :audio" in his auction title. Unless it is somehow counterfeited, your primary variability is hardness [duro] and form factor. Otherwise, it's Sorbothane, and you buy how much you want in the size, thickness, and duro you want. Hopefully, for the best total price you can get. Cheers!

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #8,102 of 25,541

to the notion that the unit is sonically "superior to both." I would like to hear both side-by-side, but have not had that opportunity. Yet. 
wink.gif

@Quixote79 is just confused, the Carbon is off-board by design already. Carbon is the best Gilmore design available to the public currently.  

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #8,103 of 25,541
  What is this about Grado? I now have a PS1000e and I am surprised and almost shocked at how good they are, sweet and full of impact and non-fatiguing, especially in the upper-mid vocals where digital glare bothers me.
(And this is after really not liking the old PS1000 as too boomy and shrill an unrefined and having issues with other older Grados).
I have been wondering why this is true and read little about it, so this is news to me, so thanks for this info.
The PS1000e is right up there with the best headphones of any type as I hear them. 

What you describe is what I and others report from adding sorbothane to existing headphones. Grado is just trying a different tack, using their own proprietary polycarbonate.  Apparently it works well.

This is why I say that Stax and most other phones are obsolete. We now have some understanding of the need for headphones to be damped.  As I understand the physics, the drivers transmit energy into the surrounding cups, not so much through the air, but as the "equal and opposite" energy that Newton talked about centuries ago.  It is not easy to dampen this energy and until fairly recently we did not have substances like sorbothane or Grado's polycarbonate to do it. So the problem was unsolvable and mostly ignored. 

I still think Stax puts out great phones,  but they would be much greater if the earcups were properly damped. These effects are not small. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #8,104 of 25,541
I used to have Von Schweikert speakers and they always had very natural upper mids, vocals and highs, again (as I mentioned with the PS1000e), nicely detailed and extended but not shrill and good with digital.
Von Schweikert mentioned to me that they did concentrate on the damping they used (I think it was cellulose).

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #8,105 of 25,541
if you and Eric have trouble getting sorbothane where you are I can recommend this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sorbothane-Sheet-100-mm-x-100-mm-x-3-00-mm-for-Enhanced-Sound-Isolation-/300790118488?hash=item46087cf858:g:uGoAAOxyA4ZRNNvE
it is sorbothane for enhanced sound, so one might be able to use larger pieces for further improvement also. (if you have not seen that most recommend using smaller pieces)

You broke my humor sensor. I'm not sure if this response is hilarious or not.

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8,106 of 25,541
That is incorrect. The off-board KGSShv is not reported to be better than the BHSE or Carbon. The KGSShv Sanyo off-board to some sounds nicer than some of the minis or other KGSShv versions however.

Agree. Not sure where anyone would get those ideas. Lately there's been a lot of bad/incorrect information getting thrown about carelessly.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #8,107 of 25,541
Yes, it seems to me like there's a lot of people quoting and misquoting. We all need to stick to our first hand experience instead of trying to parrot what other people are saying. IMHO

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #8,108 of 25,541
  @Quixote79 is just confused, the Carbon is off-board by design already. Carbon is the best Gilmore design available to the public currently.  

Thans for that clarification. Makes more sense to me now, and in light of discussions over in the other forum. I remain very pleased with the Carbon and Carbon mini.

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #8,109 of 25,541
You broke my humor sensor. I'm not sure if this response is hilarious or not.

What I find hilarious is discovering that cheap phones properly damped, outperform much more expensive ones. However the humor goes sour if you have invested an arm and a leg in phones and equipment upgrades before you realize this.

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #8,112 of 25,541
Back on topic please. Indeed people wishing to discuss the mods should keep it to the thread about it.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #8,113 of 25,541
I've been working on a Lambda Nova Basic that seldom shows noise on left driver.
I managed to open left driver and get rid of the noise, but I lost anti-dust (or moisture) material that covers electrodes and diaphragm.
Is there anyone who changed this super-thin material to other material?
Or is there any idea about its thickness or what is it made from?

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #8,114 of 25,541
After 3 years of hesitations, I JUST placed my deposit for my BHSE 5 minutes ago.  

Now....the looooong wait start 
biggrin.gif

I will use it with the SR009 that impressed me so much at CanJam London last year....

This was an expensive week:  Purchase of a HE-X yesterday ( YES I finally decided to kept the HE-X demo unit since I like it as much as the HE-1000: less detailled than the HE1000 but more relax) and deposit for BHSE today :)  

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #8,115 of 25,541
Having been rolling Stax amps and found the cleanest and best Stax amp is SRM-252S with the Plixir symmetrical power supply.

This amp was best with vintage Lambdas and SR-009.The 252s is ultra clean with wide soundstage and excellent dynamics with Plixir, it's just unbelievable , i compared it with 727 and 353x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back