The Stax Thread III
Feb 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #7,982 of 25,558
Okay I've set everything up.

PC>Schiit Gungnir>STAX SRM-323S>STAX SR-009

Question - is the SR-009 supposed to feel too loose on my head even at its tightest setting?

Never mind. Found out how to tighten it further.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #7,983 of 25,558
  Fantastic Forum!
Got a really long pm with many photos from Astrostar59 explaining a lot of things.thanks astrostar59!
Now I understand that the KGSShv for sale by paraboxer and the ones astrostar59 has are all built by headincluds and that he is a builder with reputation, thanks.
I also understand from Astrostar59 that the older versions of 007 are way too old and that I be far better off with a 007a from pricejapan. I guess they probably fall apart like my old sr80.
I might better do some more research when it comes to getting a new amp also.
It is a bit confusing with this KGSShv and even though they are all built by headincluds they don't look the same inside.
The one I have at hand the seller write it is onboard and in the classified for paraboxer he writes it is offboard. does it mean anything?
Also, astrostar59 kindly explained that his kgsshv built by headincluds is even better than the famous BHSE, I must have misunderstood that for the carbon.
all, very confusing.
hope I don't ask too many newbie questions, please excuse me then.

The 007 Mk I's are not way too old. While I do prefer the L700 and 009 over my 007 Mk I, a well-kept old pair of Stax is fine. Purk has a pair of 1980's Lambda Pro that sound great. And they sure as hell don't fall apart like Grados, because they're not built like some 5th grader's first craft project with a hot glue gun.

A headinclouds KGSShv is going to be a seriously great amp -- maybe only head-amp can produce a build quality above that. The KGSShv did go through a few revisions, hence the onboard vs. off-board. Both can sound great. A good KGSShv build can get reasonably close to the Carbon, and even the BHSE, in sound quality.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #7,984 of 25,558
  The 007 Mk I's are not way too old. While I do prefer the L700 and 009 over my 007 Mk I, a well-kept old pair of Stax is fine. Purk has a pair of 1980's Lambda Pro that sound great. And they sure as hell don't fall apart like Grados, because they're not built like some 5th grader's first craft project with a hot glue gun.

A headinclouds KGSShv is going to be a seriously great amp -- maybe only head-amp can produce a build quality above that. The KGSShv did go through a few revisions, hence the onboard vs. off-board. Both can sound great. A good KGSShv build can get reasonably close to the Carbon, and even the BHSE, in sound quality.

so you recommend either a L700 or a 009 rather than a 007 that being new or old ones?
but why is some saying that old stax is way too old and others that they are fine??? does it depend on where it has been bought originally?

The best build amps is either from headinclouds or head-amp? if the kgsshv is reasonably close to the carbon end BHSE I might settle for the kgsshv I guess

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #7,985 of 25,558
Also, astrostar59 kindly explained that his kgsshv built by headincluds is even better than the famous BHSE.

Julian has two KGSSHV's both built by headinclouds, but whether they are better than the BHSE is IMO down to personal taste.
I've heard both of Julian's KGSSHV's and they did give the 009's a stronger bass, but to what I recall they also made the 009's sound similar to the LCD-XC I once had, in other words not as open sounding as when driven by the BHSE.

The thing to do though is to try both amps together to know for sure.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #7,986 of 25,558
Julian has two KGSSHV's both built by headinclouds, but whether they are better than the BHSE is IMO down to personal taste.
I've heard both of Julian's KGSSHV's and they did give the 009's a stronger bass, but to what I recall they also made the 009's sound similar to the LCD-XC I once had, in other words not as open sounding as when driven by the BHSE.

Hi David
Totally agree with you. This is what I said in a PM to Quixote79:
It is very close to the amazing BHSE and better in the dynamics and bass department.

However, the BHSE in the midrange and on female vocals it sounded more real as you would expect for a tube amp. My KGSShv is slightly warmer which may help on some DACs. But at this level it is already incredible, way way beyond any current Stax amp.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #7,987 of 25,558

I also use power conditioner for my all my gear, how do I apply this sorbothane to the conditioner to make everything even better? can I apply it to the outside only as I am not comfortable loosing my warrenty. thanks.

I would try it on the underside of the unit. Since I think the problem you are trying to address is microphonics caused by transformer vibrations, you might try to get as close as possible to where the transformer sits.  Also it seems that there is some agreement among people who have tried sorbothane damping, that small pieces, i.e. less than 1 inch square are more effective than large sheets. There is a lot of 1/8 inch self-stick sorb available on Ebay and Amazon. It still takes about a day to fully bond but remains easy to remove if you decide to take it off. I have not seen any thicker sorb with self-stick and you have to use glue such as 3M 80  which is harder to remove. 

There are all kinds of sorbothane footers, but I find them less effective and more expensive than little pieces. Possibly if you really know something about the interaction between mass and size and thickness of the footers, you can get them to work.  I started that way but found I was getting better results with pieces of sheet sorb.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #7,988 of 25,558
Hello another question here.
I wonder which tool should be used to remove small pins that hold 'case holder' to arc assembly.
I know that I should push it to other side, replace case holder and replace those pins... but I think that these pins don't want to get away from their place.
Is there specific tool size that can remove these small pins?

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #7,989 of 25,558

Hi David
Totally agree with you. This is what I said in a PM to Quixote79:

However, the BHSE in the midrange and on female vocals it sounded more real as you would expect for a tube amp. My KGSShv is slightly warmer which may help on some DACs. But at this level it is already incredible, way way beyond any current Stax amp.

maybe it takes the 009s to really appreciate the BHSE? and if one only has a new pair of 007 the kgsshv will be as good as the BHSE and with even better bass?

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #7,990 of 25,558

Thanks, but I learned from astrostar59 that the leather pads, the frame, the cable and cable entry, all these will wear. There is dust, and other problems over years of use.
I guess you will be able to see if the leather has worn. But how can one see or know if there is dust in the driver or the other problems astrostar59 mentions?
It sounds more and more like one should avoid those old ones and just get new ones from PJ.

A good kgsshv is one from headinclouds and other builds is not so good, and there are no real reason to opt for a carbon rather? 
some pointed out that the cavelli amps should be superior but I don't see many comments on his amp in the stax thread why is that?

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #7,991 of 25,558
  Hello another question here.
I wonder which tool should be used to remove small pins that hold 'case holder' to arc assembly.
I know that I should push it to other side, replace case holder and replace those pins... but I think that these pins don't want to get away from their place.
Is there specific tool size that can remove these small pins?

You need an appropriately sized tool called a punch.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #7,992 of 25,558
maybe it takes the 009s to really appreciate the BHSE? and if one only has a new pair of 007 the kgsshv will be as good as the BHSE and with even better bass?

I found the 009's started sounding really good driven by the BHSE when I started using Psvane PH tubes and more so NOS Mullard xf4's which I have in my BHSE now.
When I was using the stock Mullard's the 009's sounded very uncomfortable.

Yes I found astrostar59's KGSSHV's did give the 009's a stronger bass than with the BHSE, but that doesn't mean it's a better bass. I suppose it depends on whether you're a bass-head or not, which I'm not.

I prefer the BHSE to Julian's KGSSHV's, but others should try a BHSE and KGSSHV together, then draw their own conclusions.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #7,993 of 25,558

The SR-007 is even harder to drive than the SR-009, so it should scale more with more powerful amplifiers like the BHSE.  Also the BHSE is the perfect sonic matchup for the SR-007, whereas many feel it's too bright for the SR-009.

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #7,994 of 25,558

so you recommend either a L700 or a 009 rather than a 007 that being new or old ones?
but why is some saying that old stax is way too old and others that they are fine??? does it depend on where it has been bought originally?

Some people prefer the 009, some prefer the 007.

It doesn't matter when Stax headphones are old. If they're still in good shape, then they're good. It's as simple as that. Also the opposite is true: if you buy a banged-up pair, that's what you get. A well-kept pair doesn't really age in any problematic way. By the way, it doesn't matter where they were bought.
There are A LOT of 007 Mk1's still in active service, for example my own pair, and a lot of them are still in absolutely mint condition. Some members here have much older earspeakers still, such as all the different vintage Lambdas.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #7,995 of 25,558

The SR-007 is even harder to drive than the SR-009, so it should scale more with more powerful amplifiers like the BHSE.  Also the BHSE is the perfect sonic matchup for the SR-007, whereas many feel it's too bright for the SR-009.

Being less efficient is not a the same as scaling better. The SR-009s are a revelation into my DAC...more so than my SR-007s (Mk1) have ever been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back