The Stax Thread III
Nov 7, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #7,156 of 25,550
The Yggy + SR-009 may be okay with a more laid back amp (I wouldn't know), but with the BHSE I'd shoot for the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 to counteract the brighter, edgier BHSE and SR-009 sound.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #7,157 of 25,550
  I have been rolling amps from other brands with Stax phones but i like to stick with Stax amps because i want to keep the original Stax sound there is some wickedness in it particularly with 353X.The L-700 headphone sounds couple of days little bit dark but opens up soon after that,the midrange of this phone is magical but of course you have to have a good source to reach that point

Which aftermarket amps have you listened to with the SR-009? If you've heard some of the best high-end ones, I'm surprised you still prefer STAX amps.

We all know how the 009 has a bit of a shelf upwards starting in the upper mid/lower treble region.

Where?

I don't see it. It follows the (mislabeled) green line quite closely and is even recessed slightly at a few frequencies. (Of course, it's supposed to curve upwards at certain points.)

The Yggy + SR-009 may be okay with a more laid back amp (I wouldn't know), but with the BHSE I'd shoot for the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 to counteract the brighter, edgier BHSE and SR-009 sound.

Or just use EQ...for free. You'd have to use EQ anyway if you want the frequency response to be as accurate as possible.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #7,158 of 25,550

Or just use EQ...for free. You'd have to use EQ anyway if you want the frequency response to be as accurate as possible.

EQ can only do so much and there is no guarantee whether or not you'll find desirable results.  Tube rolling is at least an option for both amps in question too.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #7,159 of 25,550
  EQ can only do so much and there is no guarantee whether or not you'll find desirable results.  Tube rolling is at least an option for both amps in question too.

True, but we're talking about making things less laid-back or more laid-back, depending on preference. This can be achieved via EQ. I'm not saying that's the only or the best option, of course. But I'd rather not collect a bunch of DACs for that purpose. Like I said, I don't mind energy; I just don't want too much treble, and reducing the treble with EQ is a trivial matter.

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #7,160 of 25,550
I like what people are saying about the SRL700. Could be a fantastic phone with the sorbothane damping I have used on older Lamdas. Even more interesting, I still have an old low bias Sigma. I wonder if Tats at Yamasinc would be willing to install the drivers from this phone into the Sigmas, as he did for me for the first Sigma/404? I would add the sorb. It would be Sigma/700(S)

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #7,161 of 25,550
I'm looking at putting together either an SR-L700 or SR-009 system eventually...

I have an Audio-gd NFB-1 (based on the Sabre ES9018) that I currently pair with Ultrasone headphones. The Ultrasones have a reputation for brightness and so does the ES9018, but all I hear is clarity when the recording is decent.

Does anyone care to speculate whether my current DAC would hold back a KGSSHV + SR-009 or SR-L700 system?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #7,162 of 25,550
...Ended up buying from a Stax dealer in Hong Kong on a business trip. They bent over backwards trying to help, even though they spoke/wrote very little English. And my guangzhouhua and putonghua is bu hao. Every thing worked out well.

Do you recall which shop in Hong Kong you purchased the leather strap from? Just wondering...

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #7,163 of 25,550
LoJay

How long have you run the T2? IMO the caps in the PS and other parts will need 4-8 weeks to born in easy.

As I said in a previous post, try upgrading the smaller tubes first, they will make a big difference. Then when you are happy
with those, try an EL34 NOS set. I would think NOS Mullards will calm the top end and give a great mid-range. If you want more top end transparency
you may need to try Sylvanias or RCAs for example. Realise a full set of NOS EL34 is not cheap, but they will IMO take it to another level (as it should sound).

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #7,164 of 25,550
Do you recall which shop in Hong Kong you purchased the leather strap from? Just wondering...

I purchased the SR-009 arc assembly, not the leather headband from Steven Tsang at:

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-HongKong.html

I emailed and made arrangements first.

Pretty sure they can get any Stax part. English is minimal, but really go out of thier way to help. Good people.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #7,165 of 25,550
Way late to the party, but congrats on your freakin' badass T2, Jason! I'm jelly. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #7,168 of 25,550
  Probably not - isn't the new driver construction similar to th x07's (apart from the stators) ?

I have not seen that design. Do the parts just clip together? That would seem pretty casual for a good stat design.

I am thinking about Tatts again because he has just put a new cord in my 404(S). You have probably not had to deal with the US distributors but they are pretty erratic at times. However he was pretty good this time and since my youngest graduates college in May, there may be some money available for new directions in headphones..

I am not that impressed by the SR009 compared to the Sr007 . It was not as good as the SR007(S)  although I suspect it would be better sorbed. And its price has come down a lot in US dollars. Still I think that if you could give a Sigma a more even frequency response and a tad better definition, you would have the world's best headphone, even compared to Senn's new effort, which is still just a conventional circumaural phone.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #7,169 of 25,550
Finally got back home from a business trip last Friday to find my delivered SR-L700 earspeakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

First impressions listening to them: very nice!

https://33.media.tumblr.com/7fdf6e6ffea8c93de68e51a0d729a0b6/tumblr_mo6xnjso1U1s1k7bmo1_500.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #7,170 of 25,550
Removed original pads from L-700 and installed old Lambda pads instead like it much more it's clearer cleaner with more soundstage now it sounds almost equal or better than 009.The 353 amp sounds better with RCA input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back