The Stax Thread III
Oct 21, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #6,751 of 25,660
Come on folks, do you have to be so sober and patient?  theres two new stax HPs coming out in 48 hours and hardly any sp[eculation or hopes written about them.  See Fiio x7 or Chord Mojo, to see the other extreme.
Doesn't anyone care or look forward to their outcoming. How about some informed guessing re there sound signature, or thoughts about materials, anything please.

The new STAX headphones have been discussed here. Do you not keep up with the thread? I also shared some authentic info (not guessing) pertaining to the sound and construction.

Anyway, many owners of the SR-009 and/or SR-007 don't really care about the lower-end models.

Yes I read your reply and hence this thread, did you read my post?  "Folks" or people is a plural.  I am asking the many who read this thread to pipe in, if they wish. It seems you have appointed yourself their spokesman and would rather this didn't happen.  Your last snobbish comment on their behalf speaks for itself.
The L700 may be challenging the 007 range sound wise, and certainly value wise, so your remark may look even more foolish come friday.
Anyway, if there is anyone who reads this thread, who would like to speculate on the L700 or even the L500, I for one would like to hear it.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #6,752 of 25,660
 like to speculate on the L700 or even the L500, I for one would like to hear it.

Why do you want us to speculate. we just wait to hear it and then maybe we'll have something to say. Anything else would be useless noise. Period. 

What else ? 

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #6,753 of 25,660
Speculation doesn't do me much good, but once someone has an L700 in their possession, I'd love to know how that compares to the '007 and '009. I've got a pair of Koss ESP-950s that I want to upgrade to something Stax, and the top two Stax models are kind of out of reach for now.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #6,754 of 25,660
I'd suggest, if you want speculation, go to the Orpheus thread. There's plenty of it going around over there. I for one, am just going to wait for them to arrive and listen to them before making any judgment of them.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #6,755 of 25,660
  Come on folks, do you have to be so sober and patient?  theres two new stax HPs coming out in 48 hours and hardly any sp[eculation or hopes written about them.  See Fiio x7 or Chord Mojo, to see the other extreme.
Doesn't anyone care or look forward to their outcoming. How about some informed guessing re there sound signature, or thoughts about materials, anything please.

The new STAX headphones have been discussed here. Do you not keep up with the thread? I also shared some authentic info (not guessing) pertaining to the sound and construction.

Anyway, many owners of the SR-009 and/or SR-007 don't really care about the lower-end models.

Yes I read your reply and hence this thread, did you read my post?  "Folks" or people is a plural.  I am asking the many who read this thread to pipe in, if they wish. It seems you have appointed yourself their spokesman and would rather this didn't happen.  Your last snobbish comment on their behalf speaks for itself.
The L700 may be challenging the 007 range sound wise, and certainly value wise, so your remark may look even more foolish come friday.
Anyway, if there is anyone who reads this thread, who would like to speculate on the L700 or even the L500, I for one would like to hear it.

Sorry buddy, but this thread is reserved for the following:

Audio Note 4.1 R-2R tube kit DAC – nothing under 10k can touch it. And definitely do not post anything about D-S DACs.
Any Solid State Stat amp, but it cannot be made by Stax. Preferably KGSShv. Don’t mention tube amps because tubes are unreliable and cause issues.
The only HP that can be mentioned is the SR-009. Nothing else is comparable.

If anything else other than the above is posted, negative comments will be written.

At least this is what I’ve noticed on a daily basis for the last 6 months or so…

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #6,756 of 25,660

Sorry buddy, but this thread is reserved for the following:

Audio Note 4.1 R-2R tube kit DAC – nothing under 10k can touch it. And definitely do not post anything about D-S DACs.
Any Solid State Stat amp, but it cannot be made by Stax. Preferably KGSShv. Don’t mention tube amps because tubes are unreliable and cause issues.
The only HP that can be mentioned is the SR-009. Nothing else is comparable.

If anything else other than the above is posted, negative comments will be written.

At least this is what I’ve noticed on a daily basis for the last 6 months or so…

Yes i've noticed some as well. It's not all people though.
Rather than me say it, let me use a post from the first page

As Carl said back in 2007:

Quote:
Keeping a broad scope with regards to subject matter has served us well up to now, so feel free to discuss anything related to Stax and electrostatic/electret headphones and their amplification in general.

It seems some folks think its for TOTL HPs only.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6,757 of 25,660
Yes I read your reply and hence this thread, did you read my post?  "Folks" or people is a plural.  I am asking the many who read this thread to pipe in, if they wish. It seems you have appointed yourself their spokesman and would rather this didn't happen.  Your last snobbish comment on their behalf speaks for itself. The L700 may be challenging the 007 range sound wise, and certainly value wise, so your remark may look even more foolish come friday.

I (and others) linked to impressions of the SR-L700 written by someone who heard it right next to the SR-009. Confirmed information pertaining to its design has also been provided. I am not appointing myself as a spokesman or being snobbish; just sharing info I found in order to help people out. As for my "foolish remark", that is a simple fact. Some people are not interested in the SR-L700 and have explicitly stated as much. I was not referring to its sound in that statement, but only the fact that some people are not interested in it.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #6,758 of 25,660
Is any silent lurker owning Lambda Nova Signature ? Got my hands on Corvettegarage's pair (I know, weird way to say it 
redface.gif
 ) out of curiosity, as they are said to be the more neutral Lambda out there.
They are on their way to my home, I have already read all the scarce reviews here and there, but maybe another owner is brave enough to pop out the woods, ignore the terribly bad S/N ratio of this thread and write some comments about them.
Thanks 
smile_phones.gif

Ali

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #6,760 of 25,660
  It hugely matters what the source is. As we go higher up the quality levels, you get more of everything and that includes detail (information). That extra detail comes at a cost, it requires a smooth DAC which in today's world IMO is not so easy to find. Most modern DACs are DS and sound 'impressive' but not accurate, you always know it is an electrical device, not a real instrument. To me digital has gone too far away from Vinyl and even tape, it sounds clinical.

You might be right. Who knows how I'd feel if I lived with a top-notch DAC for a while... So if you have an MSB you'd be willing to lend me for a week, let me know. I can send you one of my KG builds as collateral. A KGST, perhaps? :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #6,761 of 25,660
  After Tyll's recent praise for the blu-tack Spritzer mod, I finally applied to to my (recent model) 007A. Hint to anyone attempting it: go easy on the blu-tack. It should be visible through the black plate that you take off during disassembly, but should not stick to the earpads.

The first thing I noticed is that the headphones became more prone to the Stax fart. They were nearly immune stock, and now it happens more than half the time when I adjust the headphones. Not actually sure if that's related to the filled ports or if I slightly changed the earpad spring while putting them back. Luckily, I find the 007 very comfortable, so don't need to adjust it often.

Sound: it's difficult to tell without having a stock 007A to compare it to, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the effects of the mod. The differences are subtle. I was very happy with the stock 007A sound, the mod might have opened it up a smidgen in the treble? Bass was really good before, and it's really good now.

Replying to my own post, since this might be useful information for someone. I ended up reversing the mod. Didn't like it after using it for a while. I felt like I lost clarity in mids and treble with the ports plugged. The mod was conceived years ago, so there might be something different now about applying it to the latest 007A runs, since Stax tends to change things without telling anyone. The stock 007A sounds pretty sublime to me, and I'm glad to have it back.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #6,764 of 25,660
As an add, strongly recommend Deezer Elite streaming service fed to the ygg via digital coax into the KGST (400v version built by headinclouds) powering the SR-007A's.  A lot of goodness going on there and a grand variety of music.  No downtime to speak of.

HS

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #6,765 of 25,660
Music Alchemist, have you thought about contacting Stax directly to see if they could use your artistic skills in their marketing campaigns?  I love your photoshop skills!

Honestly, you could submit some of these to them and offer to start off pro bono, eventually when they fully appreciate your talent they may pay you with headphones and amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back