The Stax Thread III
Jan 28, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #4,366 of 25,666

That's almost as good as new. Wonder if it has the dreaded channel imbalance issue..

As for tempting me, you already DID !
angry_face.gif
 Now i need to do something about it short of flying over to Tokyo. Getting a visa is a big hassle so despite the low fares, it's a non-starter for me LOL

If you happen to swing by the shop, could you have a listen (if they allow auditions) and see if it's all fine?
Good point there. Demos should be working units without any issues...

Hey, sorry: I forgot about Japan`s ridiculous, basically racist visa issues.  They recently dropped it for Thais, who can now come for 2 weeks without visa, but I guess Malaysia is still not on the list.  I had to sponsor some Malaysian friends who came here for shopping, and the papers I had to sign were absurd.   Considering Japan`s huge investmentst in SEA, it`s bizarre to me that they let basically any westerner waltz into the country no questions asked, but make the neighbors jump through so many hoops.  

That shop, btw, is the Osaka branch; I`m in Tokyo . .     

But like I said, 009s and 007s are regularly available at large discounts in either Tokyo or Osaka (I know this because I am constantly on the edge of finally entering the STAX matrix and graze the online sellers far more than is healthy).  With the prices these go for overseas, I would seriously consider a trip to Japan if I were going to invest in an 009.  The yen lost 30% in 2012-13 so in Japan the 009 + cheap flight + cheap hotel is less than the overseas prices, even if you biuy one new ! 

This one just sold for us$2400 with 6month warranty:
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail74873.html

New they`re us$3000 or less:
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000236482/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #4,367 of 25,666

Hey, sorry: I forgot about Japan`s ridiculous, basically racist visa issues.  They recently dropped it for Thais, who can now come for 2 weeks without visa, but I guess Malaysia is still not on the list.  I had to sponsor some Malaysian friends who came here for shopping, and the papers I had to sign were absurd.   Considering Japan`s huge investmentst in SEA, it`s bizarre to me that they let basically any westerner waltz into the country no questions asked, but make the neighbors jump through so many hoops.

That shop, btw, is the Osaka branch; I`m in Tokyo . .     

But like I said, 009s and 007s are regularly available at large discounts in either Tokyo or Osaka (I know this because I am constantly on the edge of finally entering the STAX matrix and graze the online sellers far more than is healthy).  With the prices these go for overseas, I would seriously consider a trip to Japan if I were going to invest in an 009.  The yen lost 30% in 2012-13 so in Japan the 009 + cheap flight + cheap hotel is less than the overseas prices, even if you biuy one new ! 

This one just sold for us$2400 with 6month warranty:
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail74873.html

New they`re us$3000 or less:
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000236482/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

Such are the hassles facing us. But the yen has depreciated some what so it's quite a good deal purchasing direct from Japan except for the language barrier. Does the Osaka shop ship international? I would seriously consider getting a pair at that price but would be good if i knew beforehand if there is any channel imbalance.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #4,368 of 25,666
The issue is a channel imbalance doesn't show itself right out of the box. I believe most reports
are an imbalance develops within the first couple of days to couple of weeks.
It seems like if you make it past a month it won't be a problem.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #4,369 of 25,666
  How does an entry level Stax system compare to a similarly priced dynamic headphone? 

That depends whether 'similarly priced' includes the amp, since you need a special amp for Stax. Still, in my opinion the SRS-2050 system (now 2170 system, same should apply) trounces the HD800.
A second-hand SR-202 without amp goes for about €200, so is MUCH better value than a second-hand HD800 or any dynamic for that matter. The speed, detail, clarity, freedom from distortion, and overal tightness of the sound can't be matched by any dynamic. A lot of people don't go back after hearing Stax, although some do for some reason.
If you're considering going Stax, I'd suggest to start with entry-level SRS-2170 system, and only upgrade if you can go for a SR-007 or SR-009, or maybe the Koss ESP-950 as a small upgrade or sidestep. The Lambdas in between are not that much better (if at all) than the entry-level system, I think. For me, this includes the vintage ones.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #4,370 of 25,666
I too have enjoyed my time with a sr-202 out of the srm717 much more than the hd800+spl auditor, not that the basic lambdas were technically superior (hd800 offered noticeably more detail and spatial rendering) but because of the natural effortlessness and timbre to the sound, it just felt much more true to the source.

Same applies to the sr007A out of a KGSS I have now, minus the technical deficiencies:)

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #4,371 of 25,666
  How does an entry level Stax system compare to a similarly priced dynamic headphone? 

Personally I don't think there's a comparison. I ran the gamut of SET's/horns, planers, OTL's and dynamic headphones but was never satisfied with any of them, until I finally tried the $1k 407/323S combination. Of course this all somewhat subjective. If you don't like speciality amps, or headphones (some people like big speakers) then these won't work. Also if you like coloration you won't like Stax so much. However if you like absolute accurate reproduction then Stax is your package. I'm a life long classical musician and that's all I listen to, nothing before these could adequately reproduce strings, a large ensemble, or piano (to name a few). They always muddy it up. These headphones are the closest thing to being there I've ever heard. I just got the complete Callas Remastered set and my god, she's come alive again, and the orchestra and other soloists. 

I'm perfectly happy with my 407's/323S frankly, but just because I'm stupid I'm on order for a BHSE and probably a 009 as well. With Stax it seems like people either don't like them, or instantly fall in love and never leave. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #4,372 of 25,666
  The issue is a channel imbalance doesn't show itself right out of the box. I believe most reports
are an imbalance develops within the first couple of days to couple of weeks.
It seems like if you make it past a month it won't be a problem.

OK, so it's pretty much a gamble buying the 009s unless the seller can vouch for it after having owned them for more than 2 months. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,373 of 25,666

OK, so it's pretty much a gamble buying the 009s unless the seller can vouch for it after having owned them for more than 2 months. 

Pretty much so. And previous owner should have used them rather than kept them in the box for 2 months. :) The pads are a give-away to that.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4,374 of 25,666
To anybody considering buying in Japan, don't forget you have to pay tax in that case, 10% IIRC, and it's going up shortly. 

I used to work in Japan and have a friend there still who would buy it for me. But I'm thinking against that. Once you add in tax, shipping, his time and the fact that you're not dealing with a shop (any issues and I'd have to send them back to my friend, etc), the savings aren't quite so good. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #4,375 of 25,666

At least in the U.S. I think any way you slice it there is always a risk. Unless someone like Headamp could just swap out an imbalanced pair for another,
it's pretty hard getting ahold of Yama's for repair or whatever. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #4,376 of 25,666
Anybody tried the 009s with the original T2 combo? If so how to describe the experience in comparison with the 009s using other top amps such as kgsshv, bhse. Reason for asking is that after a long wait it is now possible to acquire a fine looking T2 combo on eBay.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,377 of 25,666
You shouldn't purchase the original T2 amplifier, this has been discussed at length

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #4,379 of 25,666
Thx. Would you mind summarize just a few pointers as to why not. Thx in advance.

Simply, because they tend to catch fire, and I am not talking about burn in (except literal):wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back