The Stax Thread III
Nov 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,586 of 25,535
Guys, this is a pattern that's been going on for a while on audiogon. They are all scams. It's always some desirable item that's listed at least half of the going market rate, coming out of England or Europe with no feedback record. I've also seen it on SME V tonearm (listed at under $1500, way too low) and most recently a Koetsu Rosewood Platinum (reusing the same photo from a LEGIT audiogon seller that I happened to remember from YEARS ago; something like $1400, again way too low). Inevitably they'll ask for a wire transfer payment.

The combination of too-good-to-be-true, no feedback, and coming outside USA flags it as a scam period; no need for further discussion. I'd advise you to not even waste your time trying to work out something "safe" with the seller or asking for more pics, etc -- it's simply a waste of time as they do not have the item and have no intentions other that to steal your money.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,587 of 25,535

The combination of too-good-to-be-true, no feedback, and coming outside USA flags it as a scam period; no need for further discussion. I'd advise you to not even waste your time trying to work out something "safe" with the seller or asking for more pics, etc -- it's simply a waste of time as they do not have the item and have no intentions other that to steal your money.

What?

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,588 of 25,535
Although to be fair, within Europe it's not unusual to use bank transfer, since it's quick and free. I have personally used this a few times with reputable sellers without problems. On an expensive item, 3.4% fee or what is it does add up.
Not that this makes the mentioned ad legit, but bank transfer does not necessarily equal scam.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #3,591 of 25,535
Hi,

I received a Sigma 404 and Spritzer KGST. This combinaison is awesome. It has powerful bass like an Audeze with finesse, smoothness and liquidity of an Stax.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,592 of 25,535
Bank transfers or out of USA locations in and of themselves are not the issue, it's the totality of the risk factors that matter.

Agreed. I live in India and have used bank transfers to pay for my purchases (albeit 3 transactions).  I have also gotten bit by transacting with a person on Head fi and using Paypal. The money has vanished. Counterparty comfort level is very important. In our hobby more so.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #3,593 of 25,535
Geez I didn't see all these issues...  wow.

In fact, that listing is gone now  with  "
This seller's listing has been suspended"​
replacing it.​

I've seen those clearly bogus listings on eBay  where some seller's account has gotten hijacked- someone with 561 trades and a 100% feedback  selling a pair of Focal Grande Utopias, an MBL amplifier, a pair of Wilson Alexia's, a Magico A7, a Caliburn Turntable, big Pass Labs amp.... then you look and all their previous sales have been comic books or collectible barbie dolls, no audio gear at all.....​

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #3,594 of 25,535
  Hi,

I received a Sigma 404 and Spritzer KGST. This combinaison is awesome. It has powerful bass like an Audeze with finesse, smoothness and liquidity of an Stax.

Pics or it didn't happen 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,595 of 25,535
Hi all : )

Regarding my STAX DAC-X1T (it's really beautiful object) I confirm that the low frequencies are exceptional, they go down lower and earn much impact and therefore of presence, this it isn't negligible when we know that this is the weaknesses of STAX headphones.
The soundstage is more pronounced and extended, complex instruments like the saxophone and piano are extremely well made.
Albums "piano collection" is now a real treat to listen to.
The voices are also better made (no sssss, tttsss, ssshhh or other) and are not too far forward or too far back this which reinforces the natural of the scene. They are fair and without adding masquerade,just the emotion has desired transmit the interpreter.

No frequency eats another and when a new instrument made its appearance we hear immediately and clearly.
He remains neutral and musical, it certainly have not this enchanting side that have the sigma NB on voice, but it's an advantage for the other instruments which can be appreciated at their true value, of simple and discreet triangle or a few bass notes to this strong cymbals or rhythmic drumbeats.

I repeat myself, but I did not expect have a so great improvement with a DAC.
I can not imagine what would make me one SRM T2.

Some measures STAX DAC-X1T for those interested :

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,596 of 25,535
Hello to everybody in this Stax Thread. I own a Stax system made of SR 407 + SRM007t II. I am planning to drive it through my Imac, and to that extent I need a DAC.
I am a bit in trouble in deciding what to buy. 
My question is pretty simple: considering that in this rig the pride of place will be given of course to the Stax system, which DAC would be adequate for letting it do its job in the best conditions?
This means that I look for neutrality, and would avoid to buy something which is either above or below the quality level of the Stax.
I have no idea what this means in terms of budget. If this will not diminish the performance of the Stax, I would be happy to remain below the 1000$ psychological threshold.
So far I have considered the following: Schiit Gungnir and Audio-gd NBF1. They should work well with the Stax but I have not the opportunity to try them before buying. But certainly there are also other options worthy exploring.
Hopefully someone here can give me good advice on this point.
Thanks

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #3,597 of 25,535
So far I have considered the following: Schiit Gungnir and Audio-gd NBF1. They should work well with the Stax but I have not the opportunity to try them before buying. But certainly there are also other options worthy exploring.
Hopefully someone here can give me good advice on this point.
Thanks

I use the Gungnir and pair it with the KGSShv. It is a value-laden DAC. While not the greatest in resolution, it has very good extension either way and the vocals are very very good. It is upgradeable as well. I got it with the USB and I highly recommend it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #3,599 of 25,535
seems to be pretty old though - early '90 production or am I wrong?
I fear that innovation in technology could make this option a little outdated and outperformed by today's DAC's in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back