The Stax Thread III
Apr 16, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,071 of 25,622
I won't be taking the spring out altogether. Putting the pads back on is such a fiddly procedure, it's just too much trouble for me to find out.

I can understand that :). Assembling the pad directly on the frame, without a grill, is very easy, it takes ~10 seconds (helped from inside). If the grill is in place, it's the same fiddly procedure as when the spings are also inside the pad, i.e. a 1-2 minutes per side. I think it's worth trying at least once :).

When I tested the pads with different fillings, I have just placed them against the frame and put on my head. It did create the same seal, and it made much easier comparing the modded vs original pads. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,072 of 25,622

Regarding removal of the pad grill - it's not just house dust you need to worry about when storing. How can I put this... all human heads shed skin dust and dandruff. So I won't be taking my grills off no matter how good the sound improvement.

I have checked the drivers, they are pretty clean. I wonder if it's a major factor, after all the SR5 and similar early phones survived 30+ years without a grill and any problems.

However, I have tested now with the current pads putting back the grills, but they veiled the sound so much, and narrowed the sound stage so much that there is no way I am putting them back :). Perhaps I could experience with different materials, if I get the time. Choices, choices... are hard :). I am sure Stax has put many hours into testing various grill and pad designs, and the result is what they wanted - however, my 007 sounds so much better now to my ears, and not only because of the tinkerer's effect.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,073 of 25,622
  The LS just have that ethereal 'stat quality, which the 307 doesn't quite posess to the same degree. The 307 is much more of a modern aggressive signature with tactile bass and a generally forward sound. LS seems more clean, neutral, coherent and effortless, though slightly edgy. 

Agreed. The Lamda Signatures have the most "stat-like" sound of any Stax headphone. Sort of like the original Quad ESLs. Even more so than the 007mk1s or 009s. They don't have a big wow factor at first, but once your ears adjust to their lighter presentation they are unmatched in their transparency and vividness.They were my first Stax headphones and I expected all stats to have this unique sound, but most don't.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2,074 of 25,622
I am considering getting a Stax rig, and while I don't have SR-009 money I would like to get something pretty good. I have heard that the SR407 sounds almost identical to the SR507, true?? I have been told that the tube amp, SRM006ts is the best value amp, again would most of you experienced Stax users agree? I wouldn't want to spend more than that but was wondering if it is better than, say the SRM323S?

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #2,075 of 25,622
  I am considering getting a Stax rig, and while I don't have SR-009 money I would like to get something pretty good. I have heard that the SR407 sounds almost identical to the SR507, true?? I have been told that the tube amp, SRM006ts is the best value amp, again would most of you experienced Stax users agree? I wouldn't want to spend more than that but was wondering if it is better than, say the SRM323S?

Do you want to buy new items? Otherwise a good condition SRM-1-MKII and something like a Lambda Pro is worth considering.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2,076 of 25,622
Just got my spritzer kgsshv and fired up my sr009 for the first time. Pretty awesome right off the bat. Need to do some tuning for the dac before I do a serious listen. But right off the bat I see why people say the sound is so effortless. More comments when I do full listen.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,077 of 25,622
A few photos:

Sorry iPads stinky for photos. Would love to use my new A7 but too busy to break it out.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,078 of 25,622

The LS just have that ethereal 'stat quality, which the 307 doesn't quite posess to the same degree. The 307 is much more of a modern aggressive signature with tactile bass and a generally forward sound. LS seems more clean, neutral, coherent and effortless, though slightly edgy. 

Agreed. The Lamda Signatures have the most "stat-like" sound of any Stax headphone. Sort of like the original Quad ESLs. Even more so than the 007mk1s or 009s. They don't have a big wow factor at first, but once your ears adjust to their lighter presentation they are unmatched in their transparency and vividness.They were my first Stax headphones and I expected all stats to have this unique sound, but most don't.

LS was my first stat too. IME the original lambda and normal bias Sigma carry the same traits in regards to being 'stat like', though not as much, but still more than 307, which frankly, almost doesn't sound like a stat to me.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #2,079 of 25,622
Would love to use my new A7 but too busy to break it out.

You should take the time to open the A7 box, it should be at least just as much of a positive surprise! I totally dig mine :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,080 of 25,622
Just got my spritzer kgsshv and fired up my sr009 for the first time. Pretty awesome right off the bat. Need to do some tuning for the dac before I do a serious listen. But right off the bat I see why people say the sound is so effortless. More comments when I do full listen.

congratulations!

can you elaborate on 'some tuning for the dac' please?

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,081 of 25,622

The 407 sounds great, I liked them with the tubed 007tii (006t has a little less output voltage) quite a bit but had to get the volume knob to around 1-2 o clock mark for my listening levels.  Some say the 507 pads can be added to the 407 to sound like a 507; I did it myself and actually found I could have lived with the 407 stock - the change was only subtle but the comfort much better.  The look of the 507 is growing on me though, superficial as it may be.

The 323s is probably a better value but will bring out the worst of the 407 (slight brightness - to me not horrible as some may think) versus the tube amp helped to tame it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,082 of 25,622

congratulations!

can you elaborate on 'some tuning for the dac' please?

Actually makes it seem more complicated than it is.  I basically play with cables, settings on the dac.  Sorry no black magic.  I wish I had some magic ritual to lock in the sound for my dac.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,083 of 25,622

Actually makes it seem more complicated than it is.  I basically play with cables, settings on the dac.  Sorry no black magic.  I wish I had some magic ritual to lock in the sound for my dac.

that's what i was afraid of, 'cables'.

i recently put psvane el34ph tubes in and even though they are now around 100 hours, i think (?) i like the stock tubes better.............need to swap them back in this weekend...........but also wondering if i changed anything else like cables, or if i didn't, will the cables make much of a difference...................the curse of 'everything matters'

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2,084 of 25,622

that's what i was afraid of, 'cables'.

i recently put psvane el34ph tubes in and even though they are now around 100 hours, i think (?) i like the stock tubes better.............need to swap them back in this weekend...........but also wondering if i changed anything else like cables, or if i didn't, will the cables make much of a difference...................the curse of 'everything matters'

Which PSVANE did you try?  I would be trying things like cables last.  I am assuming you are using the BHSE since you are using el34.  Finding the right tube is going to make more of a difference or your dac.  What dac and what stax headphones are you using?  Also, what "problem" are you trying to fix (ie. what do you wish the sound to see more like).?

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,085 of 25,622

With the 006t amp, I recc. highly the RCA 6fq7/6cg7 clear top tubes. I just put them in my 007t/ii (not knowing what to expect, if anything) and it was a major improvement, 
making me feel (if I never read the forums) that this is a very high end amp. It made the sound much more smooth and refined and I can turn it up a lot more and there is no fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back