The Stax Thread III
Mar 31, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,906 of 25,558
  Is there anyone that can give a full description of the Airbow SC21?  It would be helpful if there could be a comparison to the Stax SR507.  I've read that the SC21 rivals the Stax 009 but I'm very skeptical of this claim.  Its very rare to get even a small amount of information about the Airbow except some blurb in Japanese from the manufacturer.  If this post belongs in the Stax forums, let me know.

if you haven't read it already try this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630716/airbow-sr-sc21-stax-sr-507/15#post_10017755

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,907 of 25,558
  if you haven't read it already try this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630716/airbow-sr-sc21-stax-sr-507/15#post_10017755

"It can be seen while saving power , Gaga 's is saving energy toward a climax in the introduction"

I think the choice is clear

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,908 of 25,558
  Is there anyone that can give a full description of the Airbow SC21?  It would be helpful if there could be a comparison to the Stax SR507.  I've read that the SC21 rivals the Stax 009 but I'm very skeptical of this claim.  Its very rare to get even a small amount of information about the Airbow except some blurb in Japanese from the manufacturer.  If this post belongs in the Stax forums, let me know.

Apparantly according to spritzer the SC21 and 507 are identical minus the cryo'd bs Airbow puts on all there stuff.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #1,909 of 25,558
Defqon is banned?!!!!!!?

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,910 of 25,558
  Defqon is banned?!!!!!!?

I gather that this forum requires 'self-responsibility'.

Slew rates DO matter. Most amplifiers have such high slew rates that they are thought not to matter- and certainly I doubt whether anyone could hear the difference in two amplifiers, one with a slew rate of 200 V/uSec and one with a slew rate of 20 V/uSec - all other things being equal.  But if you had an amplifier with a 1 V/sec slew rate, do you really think it would sound OK?

I'll post some 'scope pictures if I get around to it. Square waves even as low as 1 kHz don't really look all that great from the output of a T1 driving an 007 at ~90 dB SPL, while the DIY T2 is close to flawless.  

Why not use Vrms, as in this system it is the only variable, and is listed on all the available amps?

Also, it should be possible to calculate and plot the spectral response of an amp at a given loudness. You could also calculate the SPL at which the amp becomes non-linear, and predict square wave form.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,911 of 25,558

Why not use Vrms, as in this system it is the only variable, and is listed on all the available amps?

How is Vrms the only variable of an electrostatic system? It is one of the least important characteristics of an amp in my opinion. Obviously you have to have enough, but any electrostatic amp does (otherwise it's just a pointless design). There are tons of other characteristics that will affect the sound way more than max Vrms swing.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,912 of 25,558
Loaded slew rate at 20 kHz defines the maximum output of the system, and as frequency and capacitance are fixed, the peak voltage is the only value that needs to be examined.

Or perhaps you disagree. I am not an electronics student; I am just a good customer.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,913 of 25,558
If loaded slew rate at 20khz limits the output voltage, the amplifier is poorly defined. A lot of the discussion points that have come up recently have been fairly binary issues (it either is slew rate limited, or it isn't... it either does have enough vrms to get desired SPL, or it doesn't... etc). Any amplifier that's not a straight up bad design has enough slew rate, and has enough vrms. Without a doubt, all the amps with a good reputation like BHSE, LL, WES, etc. are going to have enough slew rate and enough voltage swing.

So, at that point you can look right past those numbers, because they quite literally don't matter given that there is enough (that is, when comparison shopping, if you came across an amp that said 100vp-p, you should run away from it. But if you are comparing amps with 800vp-p and 1200vp-p, the difference is completely irrelevant and you should treat them both as "yes, has enough voltage"). What then starts to matter is things like harmonic distortion and intermodulation distortion. These sorts of things will be affected by a load, and therefore different electrostatic transducers might affect an amp differently. A BHSE has feedback so headphones barely affect the output, but with something like the Wes the load could affect the output quite a bit.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,914 of 25,558

I have the Airbow SC-11 and compared it to the Lambda SR-407. The Airbow sounds in my ears differrent to the SR-407. It has less bass extension (more neutral) and have more transparency like the SR-407. But the sound of the Airbow SC-11 is very technical like the new Lambda SR-x07 series and the SR-009. I doesn´t like this technical sound of the new stax models and prefer the older models in every way.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,917 of 25,558
Apr 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,919 of 25,558
How about a trip down memory lane?

I used to have an SR-3 (you never forget your first stax).
If I wanted to pick an old retro headset, how would you compare the sound of the SR-3 versus the SR-5 headphone?
I'll be running my SRD-7 from the output of a Kenwood car stereo (see sig)

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,920 of 25,558
The SR-3 iirc, was much more limited in the frequency extremes compared to the SR-5, but had really nice mids. The SR-5 is a much more aggressive sounding headphone, mainly due to the lack of frequency rolloff, but have a similar sort of sound because they are the same headphone but with different drivers. I love my SR-5, it was my first forray into the world of electrostatic headphones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back