The Stax Thread III
Apr 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #14,971 of 25,464
Just for the record; he owned the Carbon. FWIW, I’ve owed the KGSSHV and LL2, plus have heard both the BHSE (several times) and a DIY T2.

And what is your point of view on the 009 ? Or do you agree with his observations and Carbon from your own experiences with the rest of the other top tier amps

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #14,974 of 25,464
It is the new flagship.
It would be nice if they made an Anniversary Edition in black (so it would be the same color scheme as the SR-007 Mk2), but I highly doubt that.
Maybe they'll just include an 80th Anniversary sticker on the box, that's more likely.

I think with the upcoming portable amp/DAC the lineup in pretty much complete.
In a few years' time they can start upgrading the SR-007 Mk2s and the Lambdas and release the SRM-727S, etc.) but they try to keep the development costs in check.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #14,975 of 25,464
It is the new flagship.
It would be nice if they made an Anniversary Edition in black (so it would be the same color scheme as the SR-007 Mk2), but I highly doubt that.
Maybe they'll just include an 80th Anniversary sticker on the box, that's more likely.

I think with the upcoming portable amp/DAC the lineup in pretty much complete.
In a few years' time they can start upgrading the SR-007 Mk2s and the Lambdas and release the SRM-727S, etc.) but they try to keep the development costs in check.

Yeah, black model will go very well with my system at this moment :D

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #14,976 of 25,464
The details overall of astros analysis I disagree with but an aspect of the trend with regard to speakers I will give him. That is IMO no headphone will ever, simply by its nature of being a headphone, be able to match the physicality of a full size 2 channel setup or a live performance. And I am not just talking about bass.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #14,977 of 25,464
And what is your point of view on the 009 ? Or do you agree with his observations and Carbon from your own experiences with the rest of the other top tier amps

I love them! They are still in my top 5 or 6 of all time. They sounded best out of the T2, but the other amps I mentioned also were quite good too with them. A headphone voiced between the 009 and 007 Mk1 would be my ideal. That said, between these two headphones, I preferred the 009s.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #14,978 of 25,464
The details overall of astros analysis I disagree with but an aspect of the trend with regard to speakers I will give him. That is IMO no headphone will ever, simply by its nature of being a headphone, be able to match the physicality of a full size 2 channel setup or a live performance. And I am not just talking about bass.

Different worlds. Each one of them offer (pros-cons) that can’t be mixed up. This is why Headphones market is booming just as much as the high-end vynils (analog) systems, but these systems scale with large speakers too, so speakers and everything else is also booming. Let’s not mention about $45,000 Cables. Well, I believe Cables, but $45,000....I would be a fool to buy a diamond for my wife and get much better returns than cables .....lol!

Comparing Speakers to headphones is like comparing a Ferrari to a Monster truck...yeah, both are vehicles BTW.

Ferrari: Ground clearance ? What clearances ? We are about speed and handling/maneuverability ** (soundstage and details)
Monster trucks: What handling/maneuverability? We are about Ground clearances and terrains (soundstage and details)

Lol!

I am still waiting for a genius to come up with a

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #14,979 of 25,464
I love them! They are still in my top 5 or 6 of all time. They sounded best out of the T2, but the other amps I mentioned also were quite good too with them. A headphone voiced between the 009 and 007 Mk1 would be my ideal. That said, between these two headphones, I preferred the 009s.

Wait, you listened to 009”s” already ? Yes, T2 is the best for Stax SR-009. It is funny how people who never heard of it just can’t believe it is better than BHSE and or Carbon. I was once like that, but hey ! Finally, my T2 is here singing :D. I was so out of my mind to spend 6-7K on parts and not sure if I could even make it happened ROFLMAO. I still can not thanks Sir Kevin Gilmore enough!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #14,980 of 25,464
Sorry man...yes it did! :) The price of the SR-009s have pretty much remained the same since 2011 in Japanese currency (except for the now defunct PriceJapan.com), the foreign prices have fluctuated because of the exchange.

In 2011 when they were released the exchange was only at: 76 JPY per USD and then sank by 2015 (when we started to see the drops in North America), it had dropped to a level of 125 JPY / USD. That is a whopping 40% drop in the exchange over this timeframe. It was this time that precipitated the price drop outside of Japan.

FWIW, the exchange today is roughly 107-ish JPY / USD, but things were quite bumpy from 2011 to 2015.

Here's a link, please feel free to play with the data:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=JPY&view=10Y

Does anyone recall the SR-009 price when it was released in JPY? Comparing that to the SR-009S price in JPY would be an apples-to-apples comparison.

I wonder why all the stuff on hifido.jp was less expensive as your chart indicates. I would figure it would be more expensive...

Never mind hifido used JPY back then. Now it is USD and sort of explains those unreal deal's in those old ads. The exchange rate was not good in 2015-2016 but really not good 2008-2012. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #14,981 of 25,464
Anyone worry about the 009S like I do from the new owner “Edifier and their latest T8000 release ?”

Kind of like this Apple. I present “I-Sandals” made in.....?

977B9DA3-8BF3-476E-A4A7-68B6EB69E28C.jpeg

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #14,982 of 25,464
Wait, you listened to 009”s” already ? Yes, T2 is the best for Stax SR-009. It is funny how people who never heard of it just can’t believe it is better than BHSE and or Carbon. I was once like that, but hey ! Finally, my T2 is here singing :D. I was so out of my mind to spend 6-7K on parts and not sure if I could even make it happened ROFLMAO. I still can not thanks Sir Kevin Gilmore enough!
Súper ... and which is in your opinión the Best amp for the SR-L 700 ? Thanks

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #14,983 of 25,464
I was very tempted at the Kerry build t2 that went up on the FS a while back. Fear over what would happen if it ever needed repairs stopped me. The sand is difficult to find now. In another 10 years unless you have a stash you are probably sol. So the investment just didn't make sense to me. Not to mention for those of us who can't fix it. Finding some one the skill required who is willing is a challenge in an of its self.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #14,984 of 25,464
I was very tempted at the Kerry build t2 that went up on the FS a while back. Fear over what would happen if it ever needed repairs stopped me. The sand is difficult to find now. In another 10 years unless you have a stash you are probably sol. So the investment just didn't make sense to me. Not to mention for those of us who can't fix it. Finding some one the skill required who is willing is a challenge in an of its self.

Kerry could fix it up without problem, and parts will always be extinguished in (10 years), doesn’t matter what and whom you bought it from. Kerry T2 was with the most recent parts and components. They should be healthy in productions for at least another 4-5 years. A properly kept and care for amplifier will always last

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #14,985 of 25,464
I thought the t2 was populated with long obsolete sand? I didn't realise there was modern substitutes. I thought the modern take with some changes was the bhse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back