The Stax Thread III
Apr 21, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #14,941 of 25,567
Still that's not too bad considering when/what the 009 released at then figuring inflation.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #14,942 of 25,567
Interesting. I hope this is a genuine upgrade, not a 'jump on the price bandwagon'. It pitches it right next to the Susvara pricing (planar) but well below the Shangri-la junior. You know what I am saying.....

Watching the feedback to come back on this. It may be a 'tweak' on the signature, as many who own / owned the 009s have had issues with the treble. We shall see......

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #14,943 of 25,567
Again, Susvara is unproven expensive product from unknown company, sr009S is from a well known and proven from Stax for decades!

I am curious about Susvara, but not gonna be crazy enough to buy it. Yes, let it hype, and shill and whatever the crap it is pulling. It get my heart of enthusiasm beating, but I am not being fooled into it. Give shangrila JR another 5 years , Susvara another 5 years, then I will look at it again. We probably will have Shangrila Granpa. “Generations 5th”, or perhap Susvara Edition “V”. In the mean while, I will be for sure Sr009S still remain, and people would still be drooling waiting for release

Interesting. I hope this is a genuine upgrade, not a 'jump on the price bandwagon'. It pitches it right next to the Susvara pricing (planar) but well below the Shangri-la junior. You know what I am saying.....

Watching the feedback to come back on this. It may be a 'tweak' on the signature, as many who own / owned the 009s have had issues with the treble. We shall see......

Sr009 doesn’t have trebles issues. It is the amplifier/source you pair it with. I have solid silver all around my system. There is 0 trebles issues. It may not be the signature you prefer, but it is not sr009 faults, so the 009 has 0 issues.

My Sony Sa5000 has trebles issues. My HD800s Has trebles peaks....my SR009 has beautiful trebles

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #14,944 of 25,567
Again, Susvara is unproven expensive product from unknown company, sr009S is from a well known and proven from Stax for decades!

I am curious about Susvara, but not gonna be crazy enough to buy it. Yes, let it hype, and shill and whatever the **** it is pulling. It get my heart of enthusiasm beating, but I am not being fooled into it. Give shangrila JR another 5 years , Susvara another 5 years, then I will look at it again. We probably will have Shangrila Granpa. “Generations 5th”, or perhap Susvara Edition “V”. In the mean while, I will be for sure Sr009S still remain, and people would still be drooling waiting for release

Sr009 doesn’t have trebles issues. It is the amplifier/source you pair it with. I have solid silver all around my system. There is 0 trebles issues. It may not be the signature you prefer, but it is not sr009 faults, so the 009 has 0 issues.

My Sony Sa5000 has trebles issues. My HD800s Has trebles peaks....my SR009 has beautiful trebles

Well said.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #14,945 of 25,567

Shangri-la Jr is 8k with the amp. The amp is 2 or 3k by itself so that makes the headphone 5-6k which is around what this one is rumored to cost (5.2k).

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #14,946 of 25,567
It may be a 'tweak' on the signature, as many who own / owned the 009s have had issues with the treble.
If this is the only case, I wouldn't see any reason for me to make the purchase being I have absolutely no issue with the 009 treble in my system. Hopefully it's an overall different signature to enjoy all together. Wondering when it's going to be released?

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #14,947 of 25,567
The way I read it the diaphragm material and coating is all new. The electrode structure has been tweaked. The housing, pads and suspension setup remain unchanged.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #14,949 of 25,567
The reason the original SR-009 came down over time was how the Japanese Yen compared to the US $. So it was exclusively on exchange...this unfortunately isn't that. But we shall see.

That is not true. Not even close. In the last ten years in has been relatively close to 1usd= 100jpy. You have to go all the way back to the mid 80's before you see a dramatic shift in the usd's favor i.e.. 1usd = 200jpy. Otherwise it has been fairly stable at 1usd= 100jpy for a long time now.

I did not wait a whole year to go after my 80's Japan gear for poops and giggles. It is because the the exchange rate was the worst it has ever been around 2014-2016 at only 1usd = 80jpy. When the sr-009 was released in 2011 it was 1usd = 125jpy giving some one in the States much more buying power. Now it is 1usd = 100-110 in the last year or so. The sr-009 if anything should have gone up in price especially around 2014-2016. It didn't.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #14,950 of 25,567
That is not true. Not even close. In the last ten years in has been relatively close to 1usd= 100jpy. You have to go all the way back to the mid 80's before you see a dramatic shift in the usd's favor i.e.. 1usd = 200jpy. Otherwise it has been fairly stable at 1usd= 100jpy for a long time now.

I did not wait a whole year to go after my 80's Japan gear for ****s and giggles. It is because the the exchange rate was the worst it has ever been around 2014-2016 at only 1usd = 80jpy. When the sr-009 was released in 2011 it was 1usd = 125jpy giving some one in the States much more buying power. Now it is 1usd = 100-110 in the last year or so. The sr-009 if anything should have gone up in price especially around 2014-2016. It didn't.

Sorry man...yes it did! :) The price of the SR-009s have pretty much remained the same since 2011 in Japanese currency (except for the now defunct PriceJapan.com), the foreign prices have fluctuated because of the exchange.

In 2011 when they were released the exchange was only at: 76 JPY per USD and then sank by 2015 (when we started to see the drops in North America), it had dropped to a level of 125 JPY / USD. That is a whopping 40% drop in the exchange over this timeframe. It was this time that precipitated the price drop outside of Japan.

FWIW, the exchange today is roughly 107-ish JPY / USD, but things were quite bumpy from 2011 to 2015.

Here's a link, please feel free to play with the data:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=JPY&view=10Y

Does anyone recall the SR-009 price when it was released in JPY? Comparing that to the SR-009S price in JPY would be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #14,951 of 25,567
After all the initial excitement dies down around these and evaluations start to emerge that are not colored by that hype the direction that Stax has taken with these headphones will be telling. I REALLY hope they have been able combine the technicalities of the current 009 with the musicality of the 007. Extra bonus if they do that with the tonality of the 007mk1. If they have have accomplished the first two I will definitely be picking up a pair. I am a bit concerned that they are still too focused on detail, resolution and extension.

I, unlike one individual on this thread, who shall remain unnamed.. lack the skills to construct the amp needed to balance out the analytical nature of the current 009.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #14,952 of 25,567
After all the initial excitement dies down around these and evaluations start to emerge that are not colored by that hype the direction that Stax has taken with these headphones will be telling. I REALLY hope they have been able combine the technicalities of the current 009 with the musicality of the 007. Extra bonus if they do that with the tonality of the 007mk1. If they have have accomplished the first two I will definitely be picking up a pair. I am a bit concerned that they are still too focused on detail, resolution and extension.

I, unlike one individual on this thread, who shall remain unnamed.. lack the skills to construct the amp needed to balance out the analytical nature of the current 009.

For the most part I totally agree with this, but the SR-007 MK1 were a bit too shaved-up top for my likes and I would prefer these headphones to have a bit more treble transparency than them...but a tad less than the SR-009. If they split the difference, that would hit the target for me.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #14,953 of 25,567
I admit to a preference for headphones with a slightly dark tilt.

I have a tried to hit as close to what I feel is neutral as i could come with my upstream gear so that the voicing of the headphones comes through.

If the consensus on these after the dust settles is that they are amazing in every way but still a bit dry. After trying them in my current system, I might consider going to an Audio GD r2r7 to try and balance that out. But that would effect other headphones through my setup so it would be a really tough choice.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #14,954 of 25,567
I admit to a preference for headphones with a slightly dark tilt.

I have a tried to hit as close to what I feel is neutral as i could come with my upstream gear so that the voicing of the headphones comes through.

If the consensus on these after the dust settles is that they are amazing in every way but still a bit dry. After trying them in my current system, I might consider going to an Audio GD r2r7 to try and balance that out. But that would effect other headphones through my setup so it would be a really tough choice.

I'm out of the mafia now as I'm Stax-less, but I really want to hear these and I really enjoyed my 5+ years with the SR-009 and SR-007Mk1 (though I preferred the 009).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back