The Stax Thread III
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #13,186 of 25,535
If 009 with KGSSHV Carbon really hits harder than Audeze, I think that would be my dream setup.. ohh.. i can see clouds.. and $$$$ flies away already
It is a dream that never comes true! A LCD4 and all other LCDs blows the 009 easily away in the bass even on the Carbon! I have a Carbon and had the 009 over one year but for my music Metal it failed. Even your L700 hits harder! I only have a 007 an L700 and sold the other Stax phones. Not only the bass is low on SR009 its tonality is a little too bright!

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #13,187 of 25,535
Too much hyperbole. The LCD-4 has more added umph emphasized at all times. The 009 has perfectly acceptable bass response compared to just about every headphone out there. You want heavy hitting bass go with the Abyss or HE-6.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #13,188 of 25,535
Amp question, I think this has been asked 1,000 times but is it better to control the volume with the estat amp just set it 100% and use the pre-amp to control the volume?
This can be a complicated question in general. However, reducing volume with a digital device *can* reduce the resolution (i.e., effective number of bits). I would *start* with running the Jotunheim full out selecting either its high or low gain setting (which should NOT affect the number of bits) to put the "typical" setting on the estate amp close to 50% (typically 12:00). Of course, subsequent listening tests may reveal you like something else.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #13,189 of 25,535
50% on the estat is good enough for me. I like the volume knob on the SRM-007tA better than the Jotunheim anyways. :p

with most of what I'm doing 50% on the Jotunheim and 50% on the estat is a decent listening level for me. I generally have to lower Tidal from my PC because most youtube, netflix, games and such just don't reach the same volume output as Tidal so I tend to run it around 50% within the app itself. I know I might be losing bits but I occasionally switch to the Exclusive Mode, Full Volume, and Passthrough MQA (whatever MQA stands for, master quality audio?).

Thanks for the response and input. I'll try to run it more 12 oclock rather than running one at 100% the other low.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #13,190 of 25,535
Amp question, I think this has been asked 1,000 times but is it better to control the volume with the estat amp just set it 100% and use the pre-amp to control the volume?

That depends on which e-stat amp and which preamp.

Theoretically it is better to set the volume from the e-stat amp, since it may be in more optimal place than an outboard volume controller. The question is that is it really that case in your case.

About pots quality... I have the Alps RK50 (as nearly every aging snob), RK27, Penny&Giles, a couple of good sounding carbon pots of various origins, optical encoders, discrete potmeters, I've been through exotic preamps and passive stages and yes, there are minor differences, but not anything major. A smooth and well tracking carbon pot already sounds good enough, and in practice I doubt that in an e-stat amp you'd need anything more than an RK27, provided the circuits are properly designed. Use whatever has good mechanical and electrical design (the former usually comes together with the latter). Personally I'd go with a discrete volume control made with e.g. Vishay thin film TaN2 (tantalum nitride) resistors.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #13,193 of 25,535
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #13,194 of 25,535
I'm perfectly comfortable with doing the tac mod as I'm a tinkerer by nature but was wondering what the change would be on this version (SR-007A SZ2) if anyone knew off the top of their head.

A few have said the SR-007A SZ3 is brighter and more forward but is better with the tac mod by improving the bass and controlling the highs.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #13,195 of 25,535
for those who hesitate to EQ/tone control for Stax... from Stax HQ OFFICAL FAQ.

Q7 トーンコントロールを使いたいのですが? (i want to use tone controls?)
 A7 トーンコントロール機能のある製品の出力端子へ接続してお使いください。(Please use audio units which have tone controls.)
http://www.stax.co.jp/support/FAQ.html

Yes, Stax HQ recommend to use tone controls(or maybe EQ), again its official info.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #13,196 of 25,535
That depends on which e-stat amp and which preamp.

Theoretically it is better to set the volume from the e-stat amp, since it may be in more optimal place than an outboard volume controller. The question is that is it really that case in your case.

Zolkis is saying what I hoped I was saying: start with the DAC at its maximum volume (at either of its "gain" settings, which are completely different from the volume setting), and use the estate amp to get the listening volume you desire. Choose the *gain* setting (not volume!) on the DAC so that you use ~50% volume setting on the estate amp. (If this is just repetition, my apologies.)

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #13,197 of 25,535

Q7 トーンコントロールを使いたいのですが? (i want to use tone controls?)
 A7 トーンコントロール機能のある製品の出力端子へ接続してお使いください。(Please use audio units which have tone controls.)
http://www.stax.co.jp/support/FAQ.html

Yes, Stax HQ recommend to use tone controls(or maybe EQ), again its official info.

Thanks so much for reporting this! Is it possible to see this in English?

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #13,199 of 25,535
Zolkis is saying what I hoped I was saying: start with the DAC at its maximum volume (at either of its "gain" settings, which are completely different from the volume setting), and use the estate amp to get the listening volume you desire. Choose the *gain* setting (not volume!) on the DAC so that you use ~50% volume setting on the estate amp. (If this is just repetition, my apologies.)

That's what I got out of it. Try to keep the estat amp at around 50%. That's generally where I like to keep my volume on a regular amp as well but I wasn't sure if having more estat power would be better or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #13,200 of 25,535
Are you referring to Q7/A7?
Thanks so much for reporting this! Is it possible to see this in English?
This is the translation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back