The Stax Thread III
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #76 of 25,560
Quote:
Very nice collection
biggrin.gif

Did the headband on your SR-Omega snap?  It looks kinda weird from the side.

[size=medium]Yep...  Thanks God, it all happened “safe” right when I was taking them off ))  I've fixed it the way it is for the time being (with 2 extra bars inside), but may get a better mod later on.  It fits great the way it is now, so I put the final mod on hold.  Omegas sound just out of this world…  I’ve also modded the earpads of Omegas, my ears start burning after 20 minutes with the original ones.  Now they fit great and are very comfortable, here is a rather simple mod with a very soft suede: [/size]

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #82 of 25,560
Aug 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #84 of 25,560
Quote:
[size=medium]After few years of headphones’ hobby it has turned down (or up)) mostly e-stats for me.  SR-Omega, HE90, 009 and 007 are now the core team.  As a side comment: the R10 bass light go as “dynamic phones with the great e-stat mids” for me (kind of)).  After few tries to find the best amp for e-stats it has ended up in DIY.  The idea was very modest and simple: to put together the best e-stat amp out there))  I was lucky enough to get a very experienced engineer/designer on my side.  Dmitry (the Man) has designed numerous pieces of audio equipment including amps for e-stats, but this time he needed to get back to his lab for a while…  The design is Dmitry’s know-how, but it’s based on classic pre-WW2 designs, sure taking into account the specifics of e-stats.  Three prototypes have been made and tested.  The designs of T2, HEV90, KGBH, WES and few other e-stat amps have been reviewed.  The current tubes include Philips Miniwatt AL4 (Telefunken AL4 as a second set), RCA JAN 5692 red base and CV1264 rectifier (in PU).  All the 4 e-stat phones have benefited a lot.  The original SR-Omegas and HE90 are my favorites, followed by 009. 007mk2 are the most amp-hungry, a lion to feed and roar, became a major basshead attraction))  To cut a long story short few pics are attached: [/size]

ok!!!never in my life, i will have all this
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #88 of 25,560
Quote:
 "Demograf" the best headphone electrostatic amplifier ever produced in the world, by Dmitry Gubchenko

Dmitry Gubchenko

http://hifiphilosophy.com/?p=6192

Eric

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/club-des-heureux-proprietaires-de-casques-stax-t29819561-4710.html

[size=medium]Eric, thanks for posting the links.  Piotr Ryka in fact wrote an article re this amp at his site www.hifiphilosophy.com[/size][size=medium] couple of months ago.  At the time the amp still had EL8 pentodes but few weeks ago it has been upgraded to AL4.  PU has been also upgraded to provide higher voltage required by AL4.  The PU now weights 32.5 kg (became 4.5 kg heavier compared to the previous version).  I have also sent the info re upgrade to Piotr, he may add this info to his article.  Here are some of Dmitry’s other designs and it’s a really small part of what he has done:  [/size][size=medium]www.audio-tube.ru[/size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #89 of 25,560
The AL4 triode curves are very impressive so tell they are not used as pentodes? 
redface.gif

I browsed through the drhead Stax thread a few weeks back and I like some of the crazy amps they are building.  We need to do something with extensive transformer coupling but we'd be sure to go the same route as ECP Audio went with the L-2.  The tubes loaded with current sources and biased so not really an old school design. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #90 of 25,560
When I move my O2mk1s around on my ears, I get a sound in the left channel that is like a "popping" sound, something that sounds like I've made a good seal and the air pressure is pushing on a membrane...  something like the sound of pushing on the center of the lid of a jar.  Sometimes when I turn my head and I hit the cable on my shoulder it does the same thing.

I have heard it once or twice in the right side which makes me think it's the seal but it happens a lot more in the left.

It doesn't occur if I sit still or don't move the headphones around though.  I don't want to open anything up if I don't have to but it makes me nervous that it could lead to a worse problem if I don't address it now.

Any advice?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back