The Stax Thread III
Oct 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,556 of 25,850

Using my 009s I've had to give up some usability with them, what I can do. Idk if this is just planar headphones in general, but they seem hyper subjected to where they are placed on your head.
Yea with dynamics it's important, but if my HD800s moved a bit here or there, swiveling my head, it's w/e. The 009s have a big difference (in comparison) in sound relative to where they are placed on your head. A few minutes of micro adjustments to make them sound best. Swivel my head to talk to somebody, or really anything, boom they're off again.

In addition, as anybody in this thread knows, you lose pressure on your ear, and they pop. I can't even eat with my 009s on without them doing this -_-

The 009s are at my limit of being finicky, I think if I had to live with the Abyss I would get annoyed quick.

This is exactly how I feel with my SR-009 too, and what is keeping me so far from going "crazy" building a system around it.  I love the sound better than any headphone I have owned and tried in my system.  However, it takes time for me to adjust them on my head for the best comfort and sound.  At this point, I have a routine on how I position the SR-009 to find the sweet spot, but I have to do it all over again when I have to talk to someone, take a bathroom break, etc.  My HD650/HD800, on the other hand, are way more comfortable and ergonomic.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #6,557 of 25,850
I to did a comparisons of those same headphones.  The Stax 009s was on the KGST the Abyss and HE1K was on a Pass Labs INT-30.  I guess we really do hear things different as I sold all my dynamics / planars and Pass Labs INT-30 in favor of the 009s / 007s with the soon to be BHSE and LL2.

I "Do Not" feel the Abyss, HE1K or any other headphone is faster or has more speed compared to the 009s.  I "Do" feel the 009s are the ultimate headphone when it comes to transparency - They are the only headphone that I can honestly say just "Gets out the way" and is a real clear window into the music.  

Bass yes the Abyss and HE1K has a lot of it.  However, the 009s bass is very "toneful" or "tuneful" whatever you call it.  

The midrange on the 009 just totally smashes the mids of the Abyss and the HE1K.

I use to think the HE-6 on a really good speaker amp had the best treble.  Boy was I wrong.  The 009s treble is one of it's best attributes.

By comparison the 009s are the cleanest, clearest headphones I've heard.  The 007s are next.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,558 of 25,850
I to did a comparisons of those same headphones.  The Stax 009s was on the KGST the Abyss and HE1K was on a Pass Labs INT-30.  I guess we really do hear things different as I sold all my dynamics / planars and Pass Labs INT-30 in favor of the 009s / 007s with the soon to be BHSE and LL2.

I "Do Not" feel the Abyss, HE1K or any other headphone is faster or has more speed compared to the 009s.  I "Do" feel the 009s are the ultimate headphone when it comes to transparency - They are the only headphone that I can honestly say just "Gets out the way" and is a real clear window into the music.  

Bass yes the Abyss and HE1K has a lot of it.  However, the 009s bass is very "toneful" or "tuneful" whatever you call it.  

The midrange on the 009 just totally smashes the mids of the Abyss and the HE1K.

I use to think the HE-6 on a really good speaker amp had the best treble.  Boy was I wrong.  The 009s treble is one of it's best attributes.

By comparison the 009s are the cleanest, clearest headphones I've heard.  The 007s are next.

I completely agree on the treble. Nothing comes close to 009's treble imo. Just godly. I also don't see how people can put the hd800 close to it
In that respect.

The 009's bass is also severely underrated imo. I'd like a little more thickness higher up but the bass quality itself is very, very good - not woolly like I'd read a few times. It also goes lower than what many reviewers would have you believe. How does the blue Hawaii affect the bass in comparison to the higher stax amps?
If you know.

Also, as I disagree with you about the speed vs the Abyss can I ask which tracks you used to compare the two?

I could see the argument for the stax having a much more natural decay. I believe it does - but the 'snap' from the abyss, on drum and bass tracks specifically was unlike anything id ever heard.

I thought the midrange on the Abyss was god awful though.

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #6,560 of 25,850
Argh. Must...resist...the Abyss!

StaxUSA said there would be information on the webpage today but..... no.   Disappointing, I'm really interested in the price on the new models.   I've pretty much decided to either get the SR-L700's or the Ether C's.   It's a hard choice when you can't hear either. 

Just curious, what is your reason for not wanting to save money by importing from Japan? Easier warranty service?

Every time you post those pics, I get aroused inspired.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,561 of 25,850
  Argh. Must...resist...the Abyss!

Just curious, what is your reason for not wanting to save money by importing from Japan? Easier warranty service?

Every time you post those pics, I get aroused inspired.

I'm concerned about out of warranty service being denied on gray market goods.  Say a year out of warranty I have a problem - will StaxUSA fix it (for a charge, of course?  

And then there's the voltage adapter you need for the amp.   How does that work?   

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #6,562 of 25,850
If you buy PJ then you absolutely can't go through StaxUSA. You go through PJ, and if the 1 year warranty has expired then you hope that they're still charging some nominal fee (~$50 last I heard) to forward the unit back to Stax Japan for out-of-warranty service; you're responsible for all repair fees and return shipping incurred that point. From my viewpoint the ~40% savings is well worth the small % risk, and from what I've read the Stax USA service isn't often stellar anyways -- so they're adding very little value for a 40% markup. PJ gives a lot of value for a ridiculously small 5% markup. I don't hesitate to buy from PJ.

As for the Japan => USA amp voltage conversion...you avoid that mess altogether by buying a vastly superior KG amp that's native to USA voltages.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,563 of 25,850
  If you buy PJ then you absolutely can't go through StaxUSA. You go through PJ, and if the 1 year warranty has expired then you hope that they're still charging some nominal fee (~$50 last I heard) to forward the unit back to Stax Japan for out-of-warranty service; you're responsible for all repair fees and return shipping incurred that point. From my viewpoint the ~40% savings is well worth the small % risk, and from what I've read the Stax USA service isn't often stellar anyways -- so they're adding very little value for a 40% markup. PJ gives a lot of value for a ridiculously small 5% markup. I don't hesitate to buy from PJ.

As for the Japan => USA amp voltage conversion...you avoid that mess altogether by buying a vastly superior KG amp that's native to USA voltages.

KG amp?   Aren't those five grand?  

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #6,564 of 25,850

KG amp?   Aren't those five grand?  

Most are under 3K.   Well worth it too!  Try the KGST, KGSSHV, and even a KGDT.  

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #6,566 of 25,850

Mjölnir-Audio?   This is the first I've heard of it....... 

And the only thing I see under 3k here is a transformer and a tube amp that isn't going to win any beauty prizes. .. 

Have you check anything in the FS/FT forum?  I would start there first.  Highly recommended the KGSSHV for sure.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #6,567 of 25,850
@ preproman.  Thanks for your summary/impressions.  I think I will follow suit and skip on the Abyss and buy a SR-009 and a SR-007 mk1 to pair with the BHSE I have on order when the time comes.  Don't know if I'm abandoning all my dynamic/planar stuff completely just yet though.  We shall see heh.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #6,568 of 25,850

Mjölnir-Audio?   This is the first I've heard of it....... 

And the only thing I see under 3k here is a transformer and a tube amp that isn't going to win any beauty prizes. .. 

FYI there are many builders out there that do KGSS and its variations, but Birgir (is it argued?) is the best. He works with Kevin Gilmore (I believe the original/main designer of KGSS) to design the new models. HV / Carbon / KGST etc.....

From all the reading I've done, this is what I've come up with.

KGSS for anything below 007/009
KGSSHV for the 007/009 (because the HV = more power)
KGST for if you want tubes

I personally bought the KGSSHV Carbon from him, a tweak on the HV specifically designed around making the 009s shine. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #6,569 of 25,850

FYI there are many builders out there that do KGSS and its variations, but Birgir (is it argued?) is the best. He works with Kevin Gilmore (I believe the original/main designer of KGSS) to design the new models. HV / Carbon / KGST etc.....

From all the reading I've done, this is what I've come up with.

KGSS for anything below 007/009
KGSSHV for the 007/009 (because the HV = more power)
KGST for if you want tubes

I personally bought the KGSSHV Carbon from him, a tweak on the HV specifically designed around making the 009s shine. 

I think the KGST is also a fine amp for the SR-009 too.  May people do like this amp with the SR009 and I do as well.  Just that I prefer the KGSSHV over it.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #6,570 of 25,850
Man I want to join the Stax club so badly. I didn't know about Price Japan when I bought my HE1000's, so I thought I would be in over $5.5k Canadian for an SR-009 PLUS a decent amp, so they were a dream that would never happen. I actually tested the SR-009 the day I bought me HE1000's, and was blown away by them. There is a smoothness that they have when transitioning between notes that I have never heard before. They are just fantastic, right up my alley. Now I am aware of Price Japan, and some decent amps in the used for sale section here, I realize I could have done it for about the same price as my HE1000's! If there is anyone out there reading this deciding between the HE1000 and the SR-009.....don't be an idiot like me! Go for the Stax!

Anyone out there fed up of their 009's and want to trade for a pair of HE1000s? Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back