The Stax Thread III
Sep 24, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,212 of 25,558
redface.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #6,213 of 25,558
I hear frequent imbalance in my Stax amps, only to try a different headphone or different volume for it to change. One thing is the Alps pots they use often have a large tracking imbalance as you go to high attenuation/low volume. I don't know if it's built in, or develops over time due to heating in the chassis, but at any rate it's a good thing they have a built in imbalance. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,215 of 25,558
Some of you might like to try a simple experiment.  Connect a signal generator to both inputs of your amp.  Running through the frequencies you should find that the tone stays stable and central in your head at all volumes.  (don’t overdo the volume as it can hurt your ears or blow the amp/phones).    Mono music should give the same effect.

I have tried this with all my phones with consistent results.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #6,216 of 25,558

Good idea Geoff. I downloaded some Flac files off the web with tones from 18hz to 20k. I did it to test my room acoustics.

On room acoustics, it is a complex subject. All rooms have standing waves and room nodes. Basically the bass response especially is very dependant on how far back you sit from the 2 speakers. Imagine a power boat and the wake, the wake is an exact distance ratio v speed to the length of the boat. No matter how fast it goes. Audio waves do the same thing, and as the frequency goes lower the distance between the waves or 'dead areas' widens. 

So, if you have a nice speaker system, and want to impress your friends, mark the hot spot on the floor first!

Obviously a headphone doesn't have such issues which is nice.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #6,218 of 25,558
Make your Speakers near field, and you might get the best of both world´s! imo

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #6,219 of 25,558

Good idea Geoff. I downloaded some Flac files off the web with tones from 18hz to 20k. I did it to test my room acoustics.

On room acoustics, it is a complex subject. All rooms have standing waves and room nodes. Basically the bass response especially is very dependant on how far back you sit from the 2 speakers. Imagine a power boat and the wake, the wake is an exact distance ratio v speed to the length of the boat. No matter how fast it goes. Audio waves do the same thing, and as the frequency goes lower the distance between the waves or 'dead areas' widens. 

So, if you have a nice speaker system, and want to impress your friends, mark the hot spot on the floor first!

Obviously a headphone doesn't have such issues which is nice.

yeah, i'll check with some mono tones off the web. after i check my dac's xlr outputs...i've already been in touch with geoff. i'm 99% certain it isn't the amp. i'll have to find a stax dealer here to check the 007A if the rest of the equipment turns out ok. thanks all for your input.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #6,220 of 25,558
  thanks! nice job with the faceplate design. the whole thing is very beautiful. my correspondence with geoff has been top-notch. he's been very helpful...

i think he shipped it on sunday and i got it half way around the world on wednesday.

now, the only problem...it seems my 007A has a channel imbalance. vocals localize at around 1:00. sigh...not sure what to do yet, but it's put a damper on things for a bit. anyone have any ideas?

My fairly new 007A's from Japan developed a channel imbalance....once side much louder than the left.  Had to return them.  The new pair fortunately has exhibited no such problem after many hours of use.  It's a dip, but it happens...

HS

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #6,221 of 25,558
  Make your Speakers near field, and you might get the best of both world´s! imo

One of appeals of tall  planar speakers (Speakerlab, Magneplanar) and the various multi-driver tall arrays is that their SPL falls off  at 3 dB per doubling of distance as opposed to 6 dB for a point source; in addition reflections from floor and ceiling are much lower in amplitude at the listener's vicinity than the direct sound; hence the "nearfield" listening area of such vertical arrays is larger than typical monitor (point source) type speakers.

With such tall speakers imaging is different - it's usually TALLER!  hahaha- and  some people don't like this effect, saying it portrays "giant violins"  etc.   Personally I prefer sound from tall arrays, for me the benefits of a bigger nearfield - less interaction with the room at mid and high frequencies - makes for a more detailed and involving experience.  But that's just me.

That is, I prefer the sound during the daytime when I can listen to speakers.... at night I listen to Stax. 

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6,222 of 25,558
One of appeals of tall  planar speakers (Speakerlab, Magneplanar) and the various multi-driver tall arrays is that their SPL falls off  at 3 dB per doubling of distance as opposed to 6 dB for a point source; in addition reflections from floor and ceiling are much lower in amplitude at the listener's vicinity than the direct sound; hence the "nearfield" listening area of such vertical arrays is larger than typical monitor (point source) type speakers.

With such tall speakers imaging is different - it's usually TALLER!  hahaha- and  some people don't like this effect, saying it portrays "giant violins"  etc.   Personally I prefer sound from tall arrays, for me the benefits of a bigger nearfield - less interaction with the room at mid and high frequencies - makes for a more detailed and involving experience.  But that's just me.

That is, I prefer the sound during the daytime when I can listen to speakers.... at night I listen to Stax. 

Symphonic works on speakers are in their own league :)

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,223 of 25,558
Endless apologies for just interrupting the peaceful flow of this thread but I happened to have a chance to get ahold of a Stax combo for a relatively bargain pricetag and I thought that, for the first time in my life, would venture into the world of electrostatic headphones. I reside in the US and planning to purchase the SRM-1/MK-2 amp along with the 007, both second hand, straight from Nippon.

(I'm aware that this particular amp is by far not the best match with the 007 but my other option would be some Stax tube amp and I, for reason I don't wish to go into, don't want to deal with tubes). My question is how can I make sure the amp will be suitable to be used from my eletric outlet over here? What device you folks use to get around this problem? I was told it makes a difference how one solve this aforementioned issue.

Your opinions are much appreciated as I'm quite rookie when it comes to this subject. Thank you very much indeed!

Enjoy your music,

Peter

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #6,224 of 25,558
  Endless apologies for just interrupting the peaceful flow of this thread but I happened to have a chance to get ahold of a Stax combo for a relatively bargain pricetag and I thought that, for the first time in my life, would venture into the world of electrostatic headphones. I reside in the US and planning to purchase the SRM-1/MK-2 amp along with the 007, both second hand, straight from Nippon.

(I'm aware that this particular amp is by far not the best match with the 007 but my other option would be some Stax tube amp and I, for reason I don't wish to go into, don't want to deal with tubes). My question is how can I make sure the amp will be suitable to be used from my eletric outlet over here? What device you folks use to get around this problem? I was told it makes a difference how one solve this aforementioned issue.

Your opinions are much appreciated as I'm quite rookie when it comes to this subject. Thank you very much indeed!

Enjoy your music,

Peter

http://www.head-fi.org/t/550284/stax-srm-1-mkii-ver-c-100v-220v-voltage-change-question
http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13830#post_6828663
http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13980#post_6926318

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #6,225 of 25,558
manywelps has the best solution if you can solder at all. Changing the mains voltage of the SRM-1 Mk II is well documented. You just need to swap a couple of wires around in the back that go to the transformer. But it's also worth mentioning that you can use a stepdown transformer if you need an external solution. An okay one will cost you an extra $30-$40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back