The Stax Thread III
Sep 27, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #6,226 of 25,553
Very interesting. If I don't want to deal with soldering (lack of accessories & knowledge) a "stepdown transformer" would do the job without effecting negatively the sound of the headphones? If so, is there any such product in particular you guys would offer or all of them on the market would get the job done the same way?

Thank you for the replies!

P

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #6,227 of 25,553
  Very interesting. If I don't want to deal with soldering (lack of accessories & knowledge) a "stepdown transformer" would do the job without effecting negatively the sound of the headphones? If so, is there any such product in particular you guys would offer or all of them on the market would get the job done the same way?

Thank you for the replies!

P

This was the one I got for my modded 12S amp, mostly because I'm not sure what they did with the replacement internal transformer and I didn't want to screw up the order of the jumpers. It's rated about 15 times what you need but it's built well and quiet and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J1ANSY

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #6,229 of 25,553
  Endless apologies for just interrupting the peaceful flow of this thread but I happened to have a chance to get ahold of a Stax combo for a relatively bargain pricetag and I thought that, for the first time in my life, would venture into the world of electrostatic headphones. I reside in the US and planning to purchase the SRM-1/MK-2 amp along with the 007, both second hand, straight from Nippon.

(I'm aware that this particular amp is by far not the best match with the 007 but my other option would be some Stax tube amp and I, for reason I don't wish to go into, don't want to deal with tubes). My question is how can I make sure the amp will be suitable to be used from my eletric outlet over here? What device you folks use to get around this problem? I was told it makes a difference how one solve this aforementioned issue.

Your opinions are much appreciated as I'm quite rookie when it comes to this subject. Thank you very much indeed!

Enjoy your music,

Peter

I would say walk away. Another step-up transformer will affect the SQ and add problems of it's own. An oldSRM1 and an old 007 may well be knackered by now, no doubt used for years. The 007 if it is a MK1 has weak cable entry and the Stax fart issue. My advice, buy a new 007A from PJ (sounds great with the recent drivers BTW) and source a less old Stax amp locally than runs on your voltage.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #6,230 of 25,553
redface.gif

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #6,231 of 25,553

There was a new model introduced around 2011, that is the current model.
Information received from the retailer here in Norway.

Yes, but Stax DO change the drivers and don't tell anyone. I have seen photos of Lambda sized drivers looking like they are using the technology handed down from the 009. So,  maybe a new 507 'unofficially' 

To underline this, I bought a recent 007A from PJ and it kills my 007 UK MK2 for sure. No reason from Stax, no fanfare. BUT it sounds much much better....

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,232 of 25,553
  Endless apologies for just interrupting the peaceful flow of this thread but I happened to have a chance to get ahold of a Stax combo for a relatively bargain pricetag and I thought that, for the first time in my life, would venture into the world of electrostatic headphones. I reside in the US and planning to purchase the SRM-1/MK-2 amp along with the 007, both second hand, straight from Nippon.

(I'm aware that this particular amp is by far not the best match with the 007 but my other option would be some Stax tube amp and I, for reason I don't wish to go into, don't want to deal with tubes). My question is how can I make sure the amp will be suitable to be used from my eletric outlet over here? What device you folks use to get around this problem? I was told it makes a difference how one solve this aforementioned issue.

Your opinions are much appreciated as I'm quite rookie when it comes to this subject. Thank you very much indeed!

Enjoy your music,

Peter

It is a SRM-1 MK2 PP :
For voltage mod/check you can use this link :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/5835#post_3902577

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6,233 of 25,553

Another step-up transformer will affect the SQ and add problems of it's own.

Yes, that's what I was worrying about. I've read about it already but without any further explanation. So, please, can you elaborate?

P

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #6,234 of 25,553
This whole conversation made me get up off my butt and finally look at my SRA-12S transformer seriously, especially since I'll have to do something similar when I hook up a DIY amp transformer in the future. The old transformer was replaced by a much bigger one, about the size that was in my SRM-727A or maybe a bit larger, which is good really, much higher quality than the original. Secondary windings were already hooked up properly so I just needed to figure out the right combination of primary windings. Turns out it had dual 117's so I just had to hook the two primaries in parallel and instant US voltage. Took like two minutes to fiddle with after I figured out what I had to do.

I don't hear a lick of difference on my SR-007 personally, but it's one less thing to have plugged in.

Long story short, that leaves me with a stepdown transformer I don't need anymore. Shoot me a PM and you can have it for nothing+shipping if you want.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,238 of 25,553
It's official!
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=20418

SR-L700 cut sheet says 145,800 yen. That's about $1218 USD currently. That's not a bad price point, except STAX USA will probably have them priced around $2k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back