The Stax Thread III
Oct 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #512 of 25,696
I have received my new 323s today and now I am hearing it with my SR-202. My first impression is that the sound is a little muffled in the treble section if iompared to the 212. Do you think that a burn- in time is necessary? And, in that case, how many hours would be sufficient? The 202 is an old one and it is well burned-in.

I preferred the 202 off my Xh, 212 and the 252 from the 207 package than my 323S. The LP and 404 was nice off the 323S. Not a bad amp I must say.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #514 of 25,696
Never tried the 407/507 off the 323S. Tried the 407 briefly off a 007t and the 507 off a KGSS and 727, 006t, my xh, 212 and 252. Dislike the 507's offending bright high end or tilt off the treble, it was just so cold and dry sounding. Unfortunately thinking powering them off my SRD-7sb MK2 fed by a $6k tube amp would tone down the sound a bit, nope and nadda it was still there. 407 sounded bit better. Prefer my 202 to both of them. Prefer the 007mk1 to all of the above and prefer my briefly owned Omega 1's to everything (because it is the only high end Stax I've ever owned) hehe bias.

But seriously I love the SR-5's more than anything.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #517 of 25,696
Can someone please tell me what the diffreneces are in sound between the SRM-717 and the SRM-727 (with and without the feedback mod). I have the SRM-717 with the SR-009 and was wondering if the 727 would be an upgrade.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #518 of 25,696
The improvement is not that significant, if you perform only the feedback mod. 727 modded is better, but not to the extent of wanting to swap.
The quality improves on both strongly if you overhaul the output stage, but it's a harder kind of mod.
In either case, the feedback mod would be the first thing to do on the 727.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #519 of 25,696
  The improvement is not that significant, if you perform only the feedback mod. 727 modded is better, but not to the extent of wanting to swap.
The quality improves on both strongly if you overhaul the output stage, but it's a harder kind of mod.
In either case, the feedback mod would be the first thing to do on the 727.

Thank you so much for that.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #521 of 25,696
  Does anyone know how to change the headpad of a Lambda?
Is it a matter of unscrewing the screw on each size of the headpad?

No it isn't. It took me hours to restick the pads on my old Lambda Sig, since they are glued with some glue/double adhessive thing, which I had to remove completely before using some new double sided adhessive.
So, the pads are pretty much glued onto the frame.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #523 of 25,696
  For some reason I just can't see Stax building a T2 successor unless taking loss on each amp they sell despite them saying that is there goal in the future in that interview you conducted last year at the Stax HQ with Amos and Scott. Given how the current market, supply and demand for electrostatic amplifiers go.

They can't keep up with 009 sales and given the 1+ year wait for a BHSE, if they can do the amp for $5k and keep it in stock then they have a market. They also have distributors and retailers, which none of the other 'stat amp makers do. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #524 of 25,696
  Does anyone know how to change the headpad of a Lambda?
Is it a matter of unscrewing the screw on each size of the headpad?

If you're talking about the original normal bias Lambda (i.e. old headband arc assembly), you would need to remove the 2 screws on each side of the miniature plastic holders, the logo's stuck on each side have adhesive (double sided tape) underneath holding the joint of the plastic holders. You may use a thin philips head screwdriver to pry it open from underneath the opening. 

Once open and becareful, there is a small spring and a round flat piece that works in conjunction with the headband slider on the arc. If you lose either of these you're out of luck. Once placed carefully aside, unhook the round puncture of the headband from the plastic holder and pull through the outer flat opening. Do the same for the other side. Headbands can be replaced with modern or NOS parts.

No it isn't. It took me hours to restick the pads on my old Lambda Sig, since they are glued with some glue/double adhessive thing, which I had to remove completely before using some new double sided adhessive.
So, the pads are pretty much glued onto the frame.

What da schit are you on about son? All Lambda earspeakers have a screw required to be removed to have full access to the headband. OP asked for headpad/headband swapping not earpads lol. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #525 of 25,696

They can't keep up with 009 sales and given the 1+ year wait for a BHSE, if they can do the amp for $5k and keep it in stock then they have a market. They also have distributors and retailers, which none of the other 'stat amp makers do. 

I've underlined and bolded the important part. If they are able to source the correct and appropriate parts capable of HV in the circuitry without the final amplifier costing beyond $5k than they may be able to pull off another T2 moniker high-end status amp. That's if they can. But I don't know about you but I think a T2 alike amp would be produced in much more limited numbers than the 009 earspeakers themselves. Given that they will have to source electronic parts from other manufacturers and such as almost none of the circuit parts will be produced in house unlike the earspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back