The Stax Thread III
Apr 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #5,041 of 25,604
Apr 18, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #5,042 of 25,604
  have you tried this with the original sr-lambda?  I was considering it.  where did you get the sorbothane you've been using?  and what thickness?

Both ebay and amazon offer a good variety of sorb at reasonable prices. If you check my thread you will see I have tried several types but mostly 1/8 inch thick of 40-50 duro (hardness)

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,045 of 25,604
Does the Stax SR007 have more musicality than sr009?

Define musicality. This cannot be a simplistic yes/no answer. I have both, an early series 007 Mk1 with the old style box (supposed to be from the best bunch), and a newer 009. IMO the 009 sounds definitely more musical than the stock 007 Mk1. More true to the timbre, instruments just sound right, in a sound stage that is right.

I have modded both the 007 and the 009 (ear pads). The 009 mod made the bass lines more clear, more deep and more punchy, which sounded very musical and pleasant, but after a time I thought the slight change in neutrality actually subtracts from the original value. Behold, I prioritized neutrality over "musicality" despite I am more like an emotional listener than an intellectual one. The 009 has some magic indeed.

The 007 mod brought it very close to the 009 tonality, and with some music is even preferable, generally it's a beautiful, smooth, slightly sepia tone, but still the midrange is more recessed, and so is the treble, when compared with the 009. The presence of the 009 sounds just more real. Resolution is similar (you hear similar amount of details and dynamic gradations with both), even though the difference in presence elevation makes some things more evident with the 009.

In turn, in the treble I think the 007 has more realistic tonality, despite being slightly recessed. The 009 sounds thinner (and somehow more artificial) in comparison, but a KGSSHV and proper sources help that.

So the problem of the 007 is the midrange recess, which cannot be cured with my ear pad mods - I guess the membrane needs to be changed for that. A BHSE can cure that to some extent.

So both are musical, and both are nowhere from live acoustic concert. They are situated at different sides of reference, the 007 a bit farther than the 009. This was a deliberate choice Stax made. From there it's only question of money and priorities. You'd likely be happy with the [modded] 007, and likely even happier with the 009 if you wanted to spend a lot more on that extra musical neutrality and realism. 

The 009 also has a deceiving property that it changes a lot according to what you feed to it. The 007 sounds more consistent vs sources. A lot of reviews may be affected by a certain choice of sources with the 009.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #5,047 of 25,604

Define musicality. This cannot be a simplistic yes/no answer. I have both, an early series 007 Mk1 with the old style box (supposed to be from the best bunch), and a newer 009. IMO the 009 sounds definitely more musical than the stock 007 Mk1. More true to the timbre, instruments just sound right, in a sound stage that is right.

I have modded both the 007 and the 009 (ear pads). The 009 mod made the bass lines more clear, more deep and more punchy, which sounded very musical and pleasant, but after a time I thought the slight change in neutrality actually subtracts from the original value. Behold, I prioritized neutrality over "musicality" despite I am more like an emotional listener than an intellectual one. The 009 has some magic indeed.

The 007 mod brought it very close to the 009 tonality, and with some music is even preferable, generally it's a beautiful, smooth, slightly sepia tone, but still the midrange is more recessed, and so is the treble, when compared with the 009. The presence of the 009 sounds just more real. Resolution is similar (you hear similar amount of details and dynamic gradations with both), even though the difference in presence elevation makes some things more evident with the 009.

In turn, in the treble I think the 007 has more realistic tonality, despite being slightly recessed. The 009 sounds thinner (and somehow more artificial) in comparison, but a KGSSHV and proper sources help that.

So the problem of the 007 is the midrange recess, which cannot be cured with my ear pad mods - I guess the membrane needs to be changed for that. A BHSE can cure that to some extent.

So both are musical, and both are nowhere from live acoustic concert. They are situated at different sides of reference, the 007 a bit farther than the 009. This was a deliberate choice Stax made. From there it's only question of money and priorities. You'd likely be happy with the [modded] 007, and likely even happier with the 009 if you wanted to spend a lot more on that extra musical neutrality and realism. 

The 009 also has a deceiving property that it changes a lot according to what you feed to it. The 007 sounds more consistent vs sources. A lot of reviews may be affected by a certain choice of sources with the 009.

My sorbothane mods to the 007 bring the midrange up somewhat.  What is still not ideal is that the bass is slightly boomy.  This was the hardest aspect of these phones to get working, however I did at least get them to the point where I was able to present them to the public at Canjam. I  am hoping some more experimentation  may get the bass down a bit more.

I has about 10 minutes to spend with Frank Cooter's big amp comparing the 009 and my 007 and  wasn't persuaded to buy the 009. I thought it had a flatter frequency response with a slightly better treble. However the modded O07 had slightly better dynamics, although I doubt that would be true of an unmodded version.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #5,048 of 25,604
  Got my first Stax: a Lambda Signature and it sounds amazingly good. Super balanced, detailed and lifelike sound.
Are the modern Stax models even better?
How is SR507 compared to Lambda Signature?

Lambda Sig >> SR-507 IMO.  If you want to upgrade you'll have to go to the Omega line, but that will probably require an additional investment in an amp upgrade.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,049 of 25,604
My sorbothane mods to the 007 bring the midrange up somewhat.  What is still not ideal is that the bass is slightly boomy.  This was the hardest aspect of these phones to get working, however I did at least get them to the point where I was able to present them to the public at Canjam. I  am hoping some more experimentation  may get the bass down a bit more.

I has about 10 minutes to spend with Frank Cooter's big amp comparing the 009 and my 007 and  wasn't persuaded to buy the 009. I thought it had a flatter frequency response with a slightly better treble. However the modded O07 had slightly better dynamics, although I doubt that would be true of an unmodded version.

I need to try that sorbothane thing :). The 009 pads really transformed the 007, as described in the Stax mod thread, more open, better treble. Even with that, it's still more recessed than the 009. I also hear the same things as you, the 007 being more colorful, with better dynamic impression (likely because the added body in low treble) but the 009 is more accurate. It's a matter of taste, really. BTW my big surprise is how my TH900 caught up on the big Stax after extensive mods - similarly colored as the 007, and not as smooth, but boy it has bass like no other.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #5,050 of 25,604
Sorry to hijack this thread. I own an SR-507 driven by an SRM1 T1 ECC99 energizer. What I'm looking for is a second headphone (dynamic/planar or electrostatic) that offers more soundstage depth for classical symphonies and something that is also a good genre generalist. I find the 507 a bit lacking in both departments. Heard the Sennheiser HD800 the other day at a meet driven by an OTL amp and although it was pretty nice resolution-wise, I found it a bit cold and analytical. But I couldn't spend too much time with them so it may not be a fair judgement. So I was thinking about the Beyer T1, AKG K712 (didn't like the K812 when I tried them briefly) or any other headphone (maybe an older Lambda?). Unfortunately, the SR-007 and SR-009 are not within my budget at this time.

What secondary can would you recommend to someone who has been using STAX for years? :)

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #5,051 of 25,604
Sorry to hijack this thread. I own an SR-507 driven by an SRM1 T1 ECC99 energizer. What I'm looking for is a second headphone (dynamic/planar or electrostatic) that offers more soundstage depth for classical symphonies and something that is also a good genre generalist. I find the 507 a bit lacking in both departments. Heard the Sennheiser HD800 the other day at a meet driven by an OTL amp and although it was pretty nice resolution-wise, I found it a bit cold and analytical. But I couldn't spend too much time with them so it may not be a fair judgement. So I was thinking about the Beyer T1, AKG K712 (didn't like the K812 when I tried them briefly) or any other headphone (maybe an older Lambda?). Unfortunately, the SR-007 and SR-009 are not within my budget at this time.

What secondary can would you recommend to someone who has been using STAX for years? :)
you might want to look into the he-6. properly driven, it's a wonderful headphone, much more preferable to the hd800, IMHO. while dedicated headphone amps that can properly drive the he-6 are ridiculously pricey, a good integrated amp via speaker outs works wonderfully.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #5,052 of 25,604
Well, maybe if your amp and/or DAC is on the dark side the HD800 would become less cold no?

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #5,053 of 25,604
What I'm looking for is a second headphone (dynamic/planar or electrostatic) that offers more soundstage depth for classical symphonies and something that is also a good genre generalist.

So, classical, sound stage depth, good general headphone.
I also recommend the HE6+EF6. Very nice indeed, natural, extended, effortless dynamics.
Also, the AKG K812 is very good (like the HD800, but more musical/less cold) and some Beyer (DT990, 880, etc) are pretty good for classical.
Then, personally I find my modded TH900 even better than the above (using own cup damping, ring dampers, and ear pad filling), and far more practical: I can take it to office, use it on higher volume when the kids are sleeping (the Stax are just leaking too much), and take it on the go (a portable amp and/or DAC can drive it). Obviously this also applies to the TH600.

The Stax 007 and 009 are smoother, more fluid, and more accurate, with less body and bass impact.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #5,054 of 25,604
I don't want one, but anybody know anything about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stax-headphone-amp-electrostatic-step-up-transformer-/131490998959?

I like this picture with a big X through the T2 and BHSE, maybe I shouldn't get that BHSE and quit building a T2, I have an alternative! Phew ... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back