The Stax Thread III
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #23,941 of 25,567
I doubt every estat performs at its peak at 580v bang on but just because thats what the standardised bias happens to be…
If I were designing an electrostatic headphone, I'd aim to have it perform best* at the standard (580v). That is kind of the point of standards.

*best = best performance that does not compromise the lifetime of the headphone.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #23,943 of 25,567
X9K all the way. I was unimpressed with the Voce through a BHSE so I don’t have high hopes for the Corina.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #23,944 of 25,567
If I were designing an electrostatic headphone, I'd aim to have it perform best* at the standard (580v). That is kind of the point of standards.

*best = best performance that does not compromise the lifetime of the headphone.
The topics of bias voltage and sensitivity are very interesting. Unfortunately I have only a very rudimentary understanding of electrostatics' working. Anyone with a better understanding of this, please feel free to elucidate us. In particular, on the following:
  • Spacing (gap between diaphragm and electrodes): smaller spacing increases sensitivity, but decreases maximum SPL and requires tighter manufacturing tolerances. Is that right?
  • Bias Voltage: Higher bias increases sensitivity (is this right? and by how much?), but what are the downsides? Diaphragm wear & tear?
  • Element size: Bigger should be more sensitive, but of course there's only so much that will work on a head, and larger electrodes are harder to control resonances within.
X9K all the way. I was unimpressed with the Voce through a BHSE so I don’t have high hopes for the Corina.
When I heard Voce it was so bad I felt like something must have been wrong with the pair. So perhaps that was the case, but it's still not a good first impression.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #23,945 of 25,567
Down below are amazing headphones. All are great; spoiler alert, some are better than Omega 1993, 007,009 and x9000

Lambdas 404
Lambdas 407
Lambdas 404LTD
Lambdas 307
Lambdas L300LTD
Lambdas L500Mk2
Lambdas L700Mk1 and L700MK2
Lambdas Signature
Lambdas Nova
Lambdas Classic
Lambdas Pro
Lambdas Spirit
Lambdas Alpha Pro Excellent

All hail the Lambdas. My personal picks are 407, signature, 404, and pro. All are great and some beat Omega 1993, 007,009 in so many ways!
Do not underestimate the Lambdas, too many liars, amateurs, and distractors.

The L700 with tune up gear will outclass the 009!

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #23,946 of 25,567
Dammit just got an offer to get the SR-X9000 for 3K AUD off retail… So torn between the Corina and X9000!
I listened to Corina and X9000 back to back at CanJam NYC. Notice only one of them is in my signature...

Now keep in mind this was at a CanJam so it's not the most accurate comparison but the immediate impression was that Corina simply didn't have that ethereal quality that most high end estats do. It sounded more like a planar with some estat qualities than an actual estat. I think if you view it that way, it makes more sense than trying to compare it to other estats. If that sounds like what you want, a really good planar, then go Corina. But if you want that estat sound, X9000.

I think the people who say it sounded "bad" are saying that because they expect the usual estat sound and then don't get that from the Corina. If you go into it expecting planar-like sound I think it's easier to be happy with it.

All hail the Lambdas. My personal picks are 407, signature, 404, and pro. All are great and some beat Omega 1993, 007,009 in so many ways!

Which L700? MK1 or MK2? And that's good news you like the Pro, my SRD-7 I bought was a bundled with a Pro.
Would you personally put the Pro above the L700? How would you say they're different? Trying to figure out if it's worth the ~$1100 for me to pick up an L700MK2 and try it even though I have Pro/007/X9000

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #23,947 of 25,567
I've heard both X9K (loaner for a week) and Corina.....to me both sounded atypical vs estat sound, a little more full bodied....quite simillar in the way they differ from what is perceived as estat sound

My take is that X9K on BHSE (feel this isnt the best synergy) outperforms Corina, in almost every metric technically, wont speak for preference or tuning. However the comparison isnt fair as I only had a short time with the Corina and they were off LTA Z10e.

On the expectations piece - this makes **sense however I'd personally prefer a Sus to get a planar with estat qualities, or a CRBN which to me is a much better foil to the "general" estat sound.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #23,948 of 25,567
I guess I would say the most immediate way the Corina didn't feel like an estat to me was they felt more closed, likely because of AMTS. The X9000 had that "nothing there" sensation. This also makes sense why the Corina would seem "planar-like" to me since the planar I have the most time with is the Expanse which also has AMTS.

Again, this is just off of 5 minutes at a CanJam. But the effect was quite immediate. I listened to X9000 first, put on the Corina and my thought was just wow all that openness/air is gone. It was an instant no for me. Not because the Corina is bad, but because it didn't do what I want an estat to do. Dan Clark himself even says if you want a typical estat sound, Corina probably isn't for you. I would say if you had to pick just one headphone to live with forever though, the Corina might be the better all-rounder.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #23,949 of 25,567
I guess I would say the most immediate way the Corina didn't feel like an estat to me was they felt more closed, likely because of AMTS. The X9000 had that "nothing there" sensation. This also makes sense why the Corina would seem "planar-like" to me since the planar I have the most time with is the Expanse which also has AMTS.

Again, this is just off of 5 minutes at a CanJam. But the effect was quite immediate. I listened to X9000 first, put on the Corina and my thought was just wow all that openness/air is gone. It was an instant no for me. Not because the Corina is bad, but because it didn't do what I want an estat to do. Dan Clark himself even says if you want a typical estat sound, Corina probably isn't for you. I would say if you had to pick just one headphone to live with forever though, the Corina might be the better all-rounder.
Fair! congrats on the purchase - regardless of preference I am happy that other folk are entering the estat realm and providing more flavours!

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #23,950 of 25,567
Fair! congrats on the purchase - regardless of preference I am happy that other folk are entering the estat realm and providing more flavours!
Oh for sure, very excellent that DCA is doing something new in estat land. And like I said, if you only had to buy one headphone, the Corina is probably one of the best choices since it's well rounded. I simply don't want well rounded cause I already have the Expanse for that. Give me that exaggerated sparkly air.

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #23,951 of 25,567
Down below are amazing headphones. All are great; spoiler alert, some are better than Omega 1993, 007,009 and x9000

Lambdas 404
Lambdas 407
Lambdas 404LTD
Lambdas 307
Lambdas L300LTD
Lambdas L500Mk2
Lambdas Signature
Lambdas Nova
Lambdas Classic
Lambdas Pro
Lambdas Spirit

What type of “tuning up”gear are you recommending with the L700?, different associated equipment or a tweak to the L700?

You have tweaked my curiosity. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #23,952 of 25,567

Many thanks for the replies everyone! Got some pondering to do… Will be joining my L700mk2’s and Klipsch HP-3s and definitely enjoy the airy nature of the L700s.

Yes makes sense it would sound like a Planar as I think it’s similar to the Expanse…

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #23,953 of 25,567

Lambdas 404
Lambdas 407
Lambdas 404LTD
Lambdas 307
Lambdas L300LTD
Lambdas L500Mk2
Lambdas Signature
Lambdas Nova
Lambdas Classic
Lambdas Pro
Lambdas Spirit

Interesting, If could pick one, which one will be
My personal picks are 407, signature, 404, and pro.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #23,954 of 25,567
When I heard Voce it was so bad I felt like something must have been wrong with the pair. So perhaps that was the case, but it's still not a good first impression.

That was my original impression of the Voce when it first came out. However, I heard it at CanJam this year and thought it sounded improved. I feel pretty certain that some changes were made (or the original I heard was broken), although I don't see anything from DCA saying that. It makes sense that DCA has now discontinued the Voce as it should have been priced closer to the L-700.

But don't let that stop you from checking out the Corina. It is in a different league than the original Voce.

I've heard both X9K (loaner for a week) and Corina.....to me both sounded atypical vs estat sound, a little more full bodied....quite simillar in the way they differ from what is perceived as estat sound

I think this is correct about the Corina. It has less of the ethereal estat sound and has more upper midrange weight. To me, it still sounds like an estat, especially with female vocals, but has a sound signature that is more neutral than most others. It is a bit like the CRBN that way, but I think it is better than the CRBN overall. I find the Sr-009 ethereal sound enjoyable with a lot of music, but I also think it can sound artificial.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #23,955 of 25,567
That was my original impression of the Voce when it first came out. However, I heard it at CanJam this year and thought it sounded improved. I feel pretty certain that some changes were made (or the original I heard was broken), although I don't see anything from DCA saying that. It makes sense that DCA has now discontinued the Voce as it should have been priced closer to the L-700.

But don't let that stop you from checking out the Corina. It is in a different league than the original Voce.

I think this is correct about the Corina. It has less of the ethereal estat sound and has more upper midrange weight. To me, it still sounds like an estat, especially with female vocals, but has a sound signature that is more neutral than most others. It is a bit like the CRBN that way, but I think it is better than the CRBN overall. I find the Sr-009 ethereal sound enjoyable with a lot of music, but I also think it can sound artificial.
Apparently the Voce is continuing on and not discontinued which surprised me…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back