The Stax Thread III
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #21,376 of 25,541
For the 353X specifically, what are the tangible benefits of the XLR balanced input vs. RCA input?

Is it just the usual balanced chain benefits, or does the amp actually perform differently in real-world usage?

I have another balanced DAC I can run it with but I'm curious if I can route it through the unbalanced output of the balanced DAC I have out and hooked up, with no real performance loss.

For now it will only be driving vintage Lambdas so it shouldn't really be sweating too hard regardless.
what kind of music do you listen to?
I cycle through genres a lot but at the moment I'm going through jazz, classical, and city pop discographies mostly. So the jazz/classical combo was another reason I thought the 009 might be a better move.

That's interesting about the L700 though. I will stay posted on sourcing one of those as well because I actually like the Lambda shape and find it extremely comfortable even for 10-12 hours at a time.

I think I just have some bizarre head shape or pressure points though because a lot of other "high comfort" headphones do nothing for me or are even actively painful. My first audiophile purchase ever was the 6XX and I legitimately can't wear them for even an hour without getting a days-long headache from pressure points on the sides and top of my head.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #21,379 of 25,541
I cycle through genres a lot but at the moment I'm going through jazz, classical, and city pop discographies mostly. So the jazz/classical combo was another reason I thought the 009 might be a better move.

Not to complicate things, but I suggest the 007 (latest) is among the best headphones for jazz, and the 009 is one of the best for classical, IMHO. :)
If you want a best-of combination, it's getting hard to find: Phenomenon Libratum V3. I suggest trying some older Stax as well, if you can, like the SR-X Mk3 or Gamma Pro, SR-Lambda, Lambda Sig and LE. Some of these sound really sweet, minus the deepest bass in low 20s plus some slight colorations here or there.
But if you have set your mind on the 009, I still think it's a better "compromise", so forget about comparisons and just enjoy the music :).

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #21,380 of 25,541
Not to complicate things, but I suggest the 007 (latest) is among the best headphones for jazz, and the 009 is one of the best for classical, IMHO. :)
If you want a best-of combination, it's getting hard to find: Phenomenon Libratum V3. I suggest trying some older Stax as well, if you can, like the SR-X Mk3 or Gamma Pro, SR-Lambda, Lambda Sig and LE. Some of these sound really sweet, minus the deepest bass in low 20s plus some slight colorations here or there.
But if you have set your mind on the 009, I still think it's a better "compromise", so forget about comparisons and just enjoy the music :).
I would say in a pinch Classical would get priority over Jazz so I will probably still go the 009 route. I'm also considering holding off on any of them to see impressions for the X9000, but at its price point I think I want to just confirm TOTL Stax is the direction I want to go before going all in with another few grand + a better amp than the 353X.

From your vintage list, right now I have the SR-X Mk3 and the Lambda Sig. I do love them both. X Mk3 will probably be on its way out soon though since I'm planning to sell my SRM-1/Mk2 and that's the only Normal bias input option I have.

Never heard of the Phenomenon Libratum V3, I'll look into those. I enjoyed the Pollinators and the Kaldas RR1s so I'm open to non-Stax modern stats. I may be picking up an ES-1A but that's still a bit up in the air.

EDIT: Website seems to be gone for the Phenomenons. You're right I can tell these will be hard to find...lol.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #21,381 of 25,541

Phenomenon Libratum V3 website is not be found anymore....

However, I found Perun which is still interesting one https://www.head-fi.org/threads/per...phone-impressions.872273/page-6#post-15364302

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #21,382 of 25,541
I suggest trying some older Stax as well, if you can, like the SR-X Mk3 or Gamma Pro, SR-Lambda, Lambda Sig and LE. Some of these sound really sweet, minus the deepest bass in low 20s plus some slight colorations here or there.
I have 3 lambdas (bought used) and an SR-X Mk3 (bought new ... um, not recently.)

I really enjoy the idea that I'm getting 90th percentile performance at 30-40th percentile prices.

Whether or not that's really true doesn't matter. Chanting "I believe, I believe" has saved me a lot of money so far in this hobby. Although I am always fighting temptation of course, as do we all.
From your vintage list, right now I have the SR-X Mk3 and the Lambda Sig. I do love them both. X Mk3 will probably be on its way out soon though since I'm planning to sell my SRM-1/Mk2 and that's the only Normal bias input option I have.
Don't know what you might be thinking of upgrading to as an e-stat driver, but the market value of a working SRM-1/Mk2 could be less than its value to you as a backup. As zolkis wrote, some of those normal bias Staxen have a sweet sound. If you have a dual-bias amp in the collection, even if it's not your go-to daily amp, you have more options. [Admittedly, those extra options are in the Old & Getting Older All The Time Dept.] That's the amp I'm using now, and if/when I upgrade, I'm keeping mine, for exactly the reasons stated above.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #21,383 of 25,541
The L700 only outdoes the 007A technically on lower power amps. There, yeah, the 007 sounds sleepy and can lack resolve/dynamics, while the L700 will be punchier and clearer sounding. But that's on lower-power amps. Toss some power at the 007 and it will scale way past the L700 and most other things in general, and will be much more resolving with a more 3D stage and much better bass.

The 007 is annoying - you have to mod it, you have to have a powerful amp, and IMO you have to EQ it a little bit to make it more linear, or at least I do. So if you're not willing to do those things, there are better options that will give you better sound out of the box. But to be fair, the bass port mod only takes about 5 minutes to do, and coming up with EQ profiles is something you should do for all headphones anyway. So it's annoying and fussy, but it's not THAT annoying and fussy. The biggest barrier is the cost of the amp.

The L700 also will have a different presentation, way more forward and with a more upfront midrange and vocal presentation. It also has excellent clarity and resolution in the mids. But the bass is fuzzy and loose, the imaging is somewhat diffuse, and the staging is more 2D than the 007. It's a very unique presentation and all Lambdas have it to some extent, and I can see people liking it over other headphones. Heck I have 3 different Lambdas right now so I get it. I would recommend it if you're not planning on getting anything past a 353x, or if you'll stick with it for a while. The L700 also needs EQ, there is about 5db too much midrange shout at 1.2k and the highs are a bit edgy. Not everyone is annoyed by that but I sure was. Lastly, the current Lambdas don't fit people with wider heads very well, especially the Mk1 versions, and if you have a big head you may have to mod them to get them to fit properly, which I had to do also.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #21,384 of 25,541
The L700 only outdoes the 007A technically on lower power amps. There, yeah, the 007 sounds sleepy and can lack resolve/dynamics, while the L700 will be punchier and clearer sounding. But that's on lower-power amps. Toss some power at the 007 and it will scale way past the L700 and most other things in general, and will be much more resolving with a more 3D stage and much better bass.

The 007 is annoying - you have to mod it, you have to have a powerful amp, and IMO you have to EQ it a little bit to make it more linear, or at least I do. So if you're not willing to do those things, there are better options that will give you better sound out of the box. But to be fair, the bass port mod only takes about 5 minutes to do, and coming up with EQ profiles is something you should do for all headphones anyway. So it's annoying and fussy, but it's not THAT annoying and fussy. The biggest barrier is the cost of the amp.

The L700 also will have a different presentation, way more forward and with a more upfront midrange and vocal presentation. It also has excellent clarity and resolution in the mids. But the bass is fuzzy and loose, the imaging is somewhat diffuse, and the staging is more 2D than the 007. It's a very unique presentation and all Lambdas have it to some extent, and I can see people liking it over other headphones. Heck I have 3 different Lambdas right now so I get it. I would recommend it if you're not planning on getting anything past a 353x, or if you'll stick with it for a while. The L700 also needs EQ, there is about 5db too much midrange shout at 1.2k and the highs are a bit edgy. Not everyone is annoyed by that but I sure was. Lastly, the current Lambdas don't fit people with wider heads very well, especially the Mk1 versions, and if you have a big head you may have to mod them to get them to fit properly, which I had to do also.
I liked sound signature of Lambda L300 and L300 LTD better than 009. L700Mk2 were way too sharp on highs, I sold them. I also got rid of 009. To me only Lambda has that special intimate sound. And L300 is the king of intimacy. I'm thinking to sell L300 LTD and just keep L300.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #21,385 of 25,541
For tjlindle yea, oo7 for jazz and 009 for classical is a way to sum up (remember my short experience is with oo7ii and 009S though).

Thank you Menkau-ra and catscratch (I know you werent responding to me but still the inputs were helpfull).

Regarding amplification for 007, I do have a modded 007T and also bought a carbon , I wish it was with me though. Had it sent to a friend in CT and I live in Brazil, still figuring out what to do about it (import taxes and bureacracy, lack of confidence in our mailing system, etc all taking a part). I dont like EQing but Im not against it, so may try one day. about bluetac.. there is no such thing in Brazil that I know of, will have to ask someone to include a bit on my next HP purchase.

Where I disagree with catsctratch is on the last paragrapgh, almost 100% opposite opinion! Regarding L700 (mkII, never heard the mkI, just L500 ii and L700 ii). I dont think its imaging nor soundstage are worse than 007ii, a bit different maybe, and to my ears its bass may be thin/subdued, but never fuzzy and loose. Im not disputing your opinion of course! Ears and setups are different, just found it curious how my percepetion differs so much. I agree with most that the L700 have some shouty highs though. Also I was under the impression the mk I was a bit more confortable because of its headband all plastic structure. WHat a shame for me, cause I love the L700ii but cant wear it longer than 30 min now that I know where it will hurt around the ears and jaw. So my head is wide, you could say? well I dont think it is, and surely the first thing noticed when I put the 007A on (and the sennheiser hd700 FWIW) was how loose it was.

menkau-ra, I found the L500ii very similar to the L700ii, but it was like sound was coming from a "smaller speaker" compared to the 700, which I personally preferred. Do you think that's related to the intimacy you describe? (I admit Im expecting too much of other's descriptions, but I was a bit more curious on trying the L300/ltd before reading your perspective)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #21,386 of 25,541
A few questions for anyone who can offer some experience/advice:

1. My favorite vintage Lambda is the Nova Classic due to its warmth and smoothness relative to a lot of the other Lambdas. That being the case, would I likely prefer the 007mk2 tonality over the 009?

2. Is the 007mk2 lower, but in the same general tier, as the 009 in terms of imaging and detail retrieval, or is the 009 much superior in these areas?

3. Will a 353X drive the 007mk2 "sufficiently" (not optimally, but sufficiently) or would that be a complete bust?

Basically I'm leaning towards a 007mk2 but if there is a distinct gap in technical performance between it and the 009 then I may go 009 instead despite some qualms about the tonality. Another factor is that by most accounts the 009 should be a better fit to drive with a 353X which is all I'll have on hand, other than an SRM-1/mk2 and a 252S which won't help much. I do plan to upgrade amp but not until I decide whether to get an actual amp or an iFi Iesl.

i agree with the others who have described the 009 as having more treble.
i find, however, that this is not an issue with r2r DACs like the totalDAC which are very detailed but not
bright.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #21,387 of 25,541
I’ve been looking into the 007mk2. It is a good price and supposedly has good bass. I’ve been reading a few reviews, but I was wondering, for those of you with the 007mk2, what traditional pair of headphones are similar to them? I don’t have any e-stats at the moment, so comparisons to other e-stats in reviews doesn’t really help me get a good understanding of their sound.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #21,388 of 25,541
For tjlindle yea, oo7 for jazz and 009 for classical is a way to sum up (remember my short experience is with oo7ii and 009S though).

Thank you Menkau-ra and catscratch (I know you werent responding to me but still the inputs were helpfull).

Regarding amplification for 007, I do have a modded 007T and also bought a carbon , I wish it was with me though. Had it sent to a friend in CT and I live in Brazil, still figuring out what to do about it (import taxes and bureacracy, lack of confidence in our mailing system, etc all taking a part). I dont like EQing but Im not against it, so may try one day. about bluetac.. there is no such thing in Brazil that I know of, will have to ask someone to include a bit on my next HP purchase.

Where I disagree with catsctratch is on the last paragrapgh, almost 100% opposite opinion! Regarding L700 (mkII, never heard the mkI, just L500 ii and L700 ii). I dont think its imaging nor soundstage are worse than 007ii, a bit different maybe, and to my ears its bass may be thin/subdued, but never fuzzy and loose. Im not disputing your opinion of course! Ears and setups are different, just found it curious how my percepetion differs so much. I agree with most that the L700 have some shouty highs though. Also I was under the impression the mk I was a bit more confortable because of its headband all plastic structure. WHat a shame for me, cause I love the L700ii but cant wear it longer than 30 min now that I know where it will hurt around the ears and jaw. So my head is wide, you could say? well I dont think it is, and surely the first thing noticed when I put the 007A on (and the sennheiser hd700 FWIW) was how loose it was.

menkau-ra, I found the L500ii very similar to the L700ii, but it was like sound was coming from a "smaller speaker" compared to the 700, which I personally preferred. Do you think that's related to the intimacy you describe? (I admit Im expecting too much of other's descriptions, but I was a bit more curious on trying the L300/ltd before reading your perspective)
To me L300 LTD is more softer sound than L700Mk2. Same technology but LTD are not a treble murder like L700, they are more relaxing.
Maybe you need to try a headband from L300 for comfort? I can wear them all day long. They are the most comfortable headphones... sorry... earspeakers to me. They are super light and fit me perfectly even with stock pads. I LOVE how they look like, it's so original and vintage. When you change pads to L700 you loose intimacy a little. L500Mk2 are the same driver as L300, but with L700mk2 headband and L500 pads.

So if you like L700 you should try L300 LTD with stock pads and headband for a different sound and comfort you might like it better.

For me perfect headphone will be L300 with top bass and punch. But that's a limitation of electrostats. Also L300 are just fine with SRM-252S.
I will keep L300 just for perfect vocals, opera and jazz music. Everything else I would play on other headphones. 009 are technically better but you will not play EDM or rock on them. So why wasting money?

I feel like with L300 music bands are playing their songs in my room, just for me. There is nobody else, just me and the singer. I can touch the singer or the musicians if I want to. This is what I call intimacy. I don't know any other headphones that can play the same. Tell me if you know one.
L700 is like I am in a small bar sitting with other people around me. But here you already have plenty of dynamic or planar competitors. 009 have no intimacy at all.

I am not saying what's better for everyone. It's just a preference. I want intimacy and L300 is the intimate king.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #21,389 of 25,541
I’ve been looking into the 007mk2. It is a good price and supposedly has good bass. I’ve been reading a few reviews, but I was wondering, for those of you with the 007mk2, what traditional pair of headphones are similar to them? I don’t have any e-stats at the moment, so comparisons to other e-stats in reviews doesn’t really help me get a good understanding of their sound.

I don't think there's a headphone to really compare to them really. They are very unique. They come within say 85-90% of the 009's technical ability, with much more fun bass. The bass can be just a bit loose at times, but generally still really good and enjoyable. They have the general stat goodness without a hint of brightness. Just slightly more closed in, a bit less detail. But definitely, better for some bass heavy genres and songs, and very enjoyable across the board.

I would either try to find a MK1 or read up on the various mods for the MK2 though. The MK2 is said to be a bit darker, with a few other caveats.. but I haven't heard them. I would say if you only have a stat system, they're almost a must have since most stats are closer to bass light. More of a toss up if you have a planar/dynamic rig in addition.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #21,390 of 25,541
I might look for an L700 concurrently with the 009 so I can A/B them. I'm sure the 009 is a much better technical set but I'm curious now how they compare.

Just out of curiosity is there any sort of consensus about what the best Lambda line, or even specific model, is? I would assume L700mk2 as the current TOTL Lambda, but I've read in a few places that the modern Lambdas have their detractors compared to the older lines.
Don't know what you might be thinking of upgrading to as an e-stat driver, but the market value of a working SRM-1/Mk2 could be less than its value to you as a backup. As zolkis wrote, some of those normal bias Staxen have a sweet sound. If you have a dual-bias amp in the collection, even if it's not your go-to daily amp, you have more options. [Admittedly, those extra options are in the Old & Getting Older All The Time Dept.] That's the amp I'm using now, and if/when I upgrade, I'm keeping mine, for exactly the reasons stated above.
New amp is 353X so based on what I've read, it is a fairly small upgrade relatively speaking (i.e. when you consider how high the ceiling is with the third-party amps that are often mentioned in here).

Selling the SRM-1/mk2 is more about freeing up space than anything else. I'd probably sell it for around $400 (pretty much what I paid for it); would I pay $400 to keep the option to listen to the SR-X mk3 let alone any other normal bias sets? Hmm. I do really like the mk 3 so it's a tough question.

I've never been a collector type so the answer might depend on whether or not I want to keep rolling with these vintage Stax as a "collection." I bought all these to winnow them down to my favorite one (which I did so far - the Nova Classic), but it's hard to outright sell the rest despite them not being daily drivers. I really like them all.

If I do decide to keep them and add more then yea it would probably be smarter to keep the SRM-1/mk2. Or I'll have a SR-X mk 3 shaped paperweight lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back