The Stax Thread III
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #20,851 of 25,543
You cannot easily measure this, as you need a very high impedance instrument (>100 Megohm) - did you use such??
10Mohm is my instrument. These are not serious measurements by any means I just wanted to see how they compare to each other, but maybe this will Side track from the real big problem which is that I hear clipping distortion start to set in on dedicated amps but not on the SRD7 when both are played at high output levels.
And for me, Which is a shame because my headphones sound way better when used with EQ (which requires clean headroom)
Than when used with any dedicated amp without EQ (because of headroom limitations)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #20,852 of 25,543
I have no experience with Blue Hawaii, I did my comparisons based on my experiences with DIY Carbon and Mjolnir Carbon only. Kevin Gilmore has posts where he dived deep into the details of what kind artifacts transformers add to the sound if used after the input stage. The problems he points out also aligns with my listening experiences. You are free to make your own research.
I guess the A30pro has such low noise floor and distortion numbers to start with (about -120db) that even if a few db of artifacts are added they are still way below the threshold of audibility
this is the cleanest electrostatic amp solution I have ever heard especially at high volume.
(The A30pro does however require higher input voltage than standard to reach max power and that’s not so straightforward to archive).

Now if only someone would build this two into one unit as a whole and make it look good.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #20,853 of 25,543
He builds quite competent amps. As for pricing, no idea

New to the forum but have been following your STAX talks for quite some time.
I have found a offer for a used KGSSHV Carbon that I have been looking for to pair with my STAX SR-009 (or a Blue Hawaii).
It is build by Felitsa Audio and as far as I can find online it is a guy from Vietnam selling his amps via ebay.
But I cant any review of their amps or owner experience.
Any of you know the brand or have experience with any of their amps?
Does 2000Euro sound fair for such a amp (a few years old)? A new amp from Mjölnir cost 5100USD + shipping and taxes.

Be careful.

This builder has a questionable track record.
Although he has labor cost as his benefit for competent chassis work and seems to use quality parts, he also has a checkered build history.

He built my friend a SuSy Dynahi and wired it out of phase. He seems sloppy, uncaring and ultimately stimulated by trying to make a buck.

I'd stay away.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #20,854 of 25,543
Be careful.

This builder has a questionable track record.
Although he has labor cost as his benefit for competent chassis work and seems to use quality parts, he also has a checkered build history.

He built my friend a SuSy Dynahi and wired it out of phase. He seems sloppy, uncaring and ultimately stimulated by trying to make a buck.

I'd stay away.
Do you know about Mjölnir Audio, how is the quality of Birgirs creations?

I'm about to purchase something from him.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #20,855 of 25,543
Do you know about Mjölnir Audio, how is the quality of Birgirs creations?

I'm about to purchase something from him.
That is a silly question. He's one of the best.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #20,856 of 25,543
Aug 11, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #20,857 of 25,543
I did the same test with the same input source (100hz) on Blue Hawaii I get about 800VAC at complete max volume, but the difference is that there is no clipping distortion on my srd7 at such high volume

I've never heard my HeadAmp built Blue Hawaii clip at max volume (and clipping is ofcourse easy to hear). Perhaps your source has too much gain.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #20,858 of 25,543
I've never heard my HeadAmp built Blue Hawaii clip at max volume (and clipping is ofcourse easy to hear). Perhaps your source has too much gain.
Obviously it won’t clip if you reduce the input.
And if you normally don’t use EQ, (you’re missing out btw) especially to correct some serious frequency dips in headphones, I think you will never experience what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #20,859 of 25,543
Any pointers on used Stax amps? I have an SRM-1 Mik II which has a hum that the technician could not fix, the output transistors can not be found to be replaced. I also use an SRD-7 transformer both pro and a normal one and the Koss E90 amp.
I have been looking at other SRM-1Mk II for sale and also an SRM T1. I have also seen a few other Stax amps as well. The 006 and 007 series also look interesting.
I enjoy using the transformers with my Cary Rocket 88 and Golden Tube SE40. I can do major tube rolling with the Cary, 6L6, 6550, KT88, EL34 output tubes and various 6922/6DJ8 tubes. I am just interested if a dedicated electrostatic amp would improve things enough to pursue.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #20,860 of 25,543
Obviously it won’t clip if you reduce the input.
And if you normally don’t use EQ, (you’re missing out btw) especially to correct some serious frequency dips in headphones, I think you will never experience what I’m talking about.

I use PEQ, FWIW. I think you must like to listen at much higher volumes than me.

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #20,861 of 25,543
I use PEQ, FWIW. I think you must like to listen at much higher volumes than me.
It could also depend on the difference of the headphones sensitivity and the EQ compensation or many other factors, but Yes I listen louder than most. Especially if the recording is quality and enjoyable I will definitely turn it up even if only for one song, and its painfully annoying when I hear the amp giving out and limiting me by starting to sound crappy, it’s almost immediately a deal breaker for me.
And the crappy sound becomes even more apparent when you finally use something which is clean at high volume, when you do an AB comparison you hear even more clearly what you had to put up with.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #20,862 of 25,543
how is the quality of Birgirs creations?

He is the best of the best. Highly recommend and a interesting guy to talk to privately.
He should be building STAX amplifiers for them.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #20,863 of 25,543
He is the best of the best. Highly recommend and a interesting guy to talk to privately.
He should be building STAX amplifiers for them.
Nice paid for my purchase few hours ago and he will send it out in friday.

Preparations for the Audeze CRBN

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #20,865 of 25,543
Like to hear your impressions of the CBRN. What amp did you get…just curious.
I started out with the SRD-7 Energizer which will be connected to my Octave V16 and T+A PA2000R.

Not sure yet if Electrostats are for me, but the Audeze looks promising.
The SRD-7 is a really affordable entry considering I already have amazing speakeramps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back