The Stax Thread III
Aug 11, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #20,836 of 25,541
source: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/dsp-engine-convolution

If you have a set of impulse response files, one per sample rate or channel layout:
  1. Place all of the impulse response files in the same directory
  2. Create a `.zip` file from that directory
  3. Browse to the `.zip` file and select it in Roon
  4. Enjoy the music
=> basically you download the 44.1khz and 48khz wav files for your headphone, put them in a zip and then select it in Roon.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #20,837 of 25,541
Nope, that does NOT WORK like this!

You have to zip just the two impulse files (44.1 and 48kHz) PER ONE SINGLE HEADPHONE INTO ONE ZIP-FILE (named according to headphone) and then place ALL those different files (if you have different headphones) INTO THE SAME DIRECTORY and load ONLY ONE of them into the DSP CONVOLVER OF ROON at a time depending on which headphone you want to listen with!

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #20,839 of 25,541
basically you download the 44.1khz and 48khz wav files for your headphone, put them in a zip and then select it in Roon.

Nope, that does NOT WORK like this!

You have to zip just the two impulse files (44.1 and 48kHz) PER ONE SINGLE HEADPHONE INTO ONE ZIP-FILE (named according to headphone) and then place ALL those different files (if you have different headphones) INTO THE SAME DIRECTORY and load ONLY ONE of them into the DSP CONVOLVER OF ROON at a time depending on which headphone you want to listen with!
Indeed. I don’t see how that is any different from what I said though :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #20,841 of 25,541
Indeed. I don’t see how that is any different from what I said though :)
Help me Jesus...you said all files into one zip file (all different files for different headphones) and upload that one - I said one file per headphone type with two impulse files (48/44.1kHz) in it, which makes multiple files to upload. Lord have mercy I'm surrounded by... well you know what I mean :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #20,842 of 25,541
Help me Jesus...you said all files into one zip file (all different files for different headphones) and upload that one - I said one file per headphone type with two impulse files (48/44.1kHz) in it, which makes multiple files to upload. Lord have mercy I'm surrounded by... well you know what I mean :wink:

=> basically you download the 44.1khz and 48khz wav files for your headphone, put them in a zip and then select it in Roon.

not sure whether jesus is gonna help here :) Anyways, yes each headphone would get their own zip file.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #20,844 of 25,541
Lundahl energizers are better than srd7's(less grainy treble, better detail overall), you should build one, or find someone who can build one for you.

Energizer + speaker amp setups can't get as detailed as totl direct drive solutions. It's a price efficient solution to drive electrostatics with enough current.

Woo wee has no ballast resistors on its output and can damage your headphones.
Sorry,
I totally Disagree with this, I have never heard grainy treble with my SRD7 pro (non SB).
Treble is infact the best I have ever heard,
My blue Hawaii is gathering dust for the very fact that SRD7 powered with just my topping a30pro and software eq is just the more perfect solution, it is clearly more detailed (especially the higher the volume you go, you can hear blue Hawaii gradually going into clipping distortion) and has more headroom to accomdate all my eq Settings. It must be your amp or something else which is not up to par,
But your comment is the exact opposite of my experience.

and In my opinion all electrostatic headphones could do better with good software eqing but there’s no dedicated electrostatic amp I know of that can offer more than enough headroom without distortion for optimal compensation.

btw the blue Hawaii itself is quite a considerable improvement from all other stax amps, the obtainable tube stax amp are the worse, clipping distortion starts kicking in even without EQ.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #20,845 of 25,541
I have no experience with Blue Hawaii, I did my comparisons based on my experiences with DIY Carbon and Mjolnir Carbon only. Kevin Gilmore has posts where he dived deep into the details of what kind artifacts transformers add to the sound if used after the input stage. The problems he points out also aligns with my listening experiences. You are free to make your own research.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #20,846 of 25,541
Did anyone ever use a Mjölnir SRD-7 Energizer with tube speaker amps?

I'm a little worried about the load impedance in this case.
Not that a 145k Ohm load wrecks my output transformer

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #20,847 of 25,541
I measured about 900VAC from the output of one channel of the SRD7 pro (non sb) when powered by the small low distortion topping a30pro and I bet an a90 would do even better numbers, I know of no dedicated amp which can reach SRD7s output potential. and you need lots of clean power if your going to be eqing all your headphones properly.

and I use a headphone amp like topping a30pro to power srd7 (XLR connection) because there is no speaker amp yet which can archive these low distortion and noise floor numbers. for a long time people have been using srd7 with speaker amps which just don't have such specs and that's the biggest problem.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #20,848 of 25,541
I measured about 900VAC from the output of one channel of the SRD7 pro (non sb) when powered by the small low distortion topping a30pro and I bet an a90 would do even better numbers, I know of no dedicated amp which can reach this output. and you need lots of clean power if your going to be eqing all your headphones properly.

and I use a headphone amp like topping a30pro to power srd7 because there is no speaker amp yet which can archive these low distortion and noise floor numbers. for a long time people have been using srd7 with speaker amps which just don't have such specs and that's the biggest pro
Guess you meant 900Vss (peak-to peak) not AC, which would be the RMS value (root mean square)

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #20,850 of 25,541
I did the same test with the same input source on Blue Hawaii I get about 800VAC at complete max volume, but the difference is that there is no clipping distortion on my srd7 at these levels
You cannot easily measure this, as you need a very high impedance instrument (>100 Megohm) - did you use such??

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back