The Stax Thread III
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #19,486 of 25,660
oh this!! I remember seeing that , but seems like you need new earpads...
yep :s i filled out the pads a little since they were collapsing with 4mm of merino wool felt, but the pleather is a little degraded. i'm not sure if there are other pad options but i had heard the 009 pads sound and feel best, and they're the same price as the 007 pads; i just wish they weren't black since i like the brown and champagne look best

e: probably need to recable it too, which is going to be significantly more annoying than replacing earpads

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #19,487 of 25,660
You mean 150000 yen right? (About 1500usd) I never saw any 007+amp sold for 15000yen which is about 150usd... I have been using yahoo auction for years now and looking at it daily.
Those second hand STAX energizers are really hard to sell in japan anyway, since even big audio store like sound 110 are having a hard time on selling second hand amp.
I think the biggest reason why there's a resurgence of 007 love is people starting to realize how well it scales with better energizer.
When it was initially released, the options was very limited. So it never really reached it full potential until now, look at all the amazing options of decent energizers, commercial & diy.
We live in a very exciting time, just wow 007t with 007 for 150000 yen
Japan need to export all these unloved energizer oversea. It so expensive over here.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #19,488 of 25,660
Everyone keeps saying that Stax amps are easily beaten by either speaker amps or magic boxes from Iceland. Either way, I need an amp for speakers as well so combining forces makes a bit of sense.
I agree
yep :s i filled out the pads a little since they were collapsing with 4mm of merino wool felt, but the pleather is a little degraded. i'm not sure if there are other pad options but i had heard the 009 pads sound and feel best, and they're the same price as the 007 pads; i just wish they weren't black since i like the brown and champagne look best

e: probably need to recable it too, which is going to be significantly more annoying than replacing earpads
why recable? you gonna put a 009earpads and cable onto it? I wonder will 009 earpads even fit as 009 is bigger than 007...that's one hell of a Frankenstein lol

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #19,489 of 25,660
I think the biggest reason why there's a resurgence of 007 love is people starting to realize how well it scales with better energizer.
When it was initially released, the options was very limited. So it never really reached it full potential until now, look at all the amazing options of decent energizers, commercial & diy.
Japan need to export all these unloved energizer oversea. It so expensive over here.
you will be surprise on 717 prices, its a better amp than the 727 but way cheaper.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #19,490 of 25,660
You have better amps but it you still want some old stax vibes for non pro bias cans you can still use auction services which helps you to bid and export to your country...idk I am looking for a pair of decent sigma pro...but good condition one doesn't show up as often or maybe going with the he60 route since I cant get a he90 yet

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #19,491 of 25,660
Everyone keeps saying that Stax amps are easily beaten by either speaker amps or magic boxes from Iceland. Either way, I need an amp for speakers as well so combining forces makes a bit of sense.
For Lambdas Stax's driver units are quite nice. Clean high quality power. The problem is that they simply don't have enough juice for the Omega series.

007 pads are lambskin, not pleather. Also, I never had a problem with the cables, I'm not sure why everyone complains about them but they're fine. Just rotate the cups a little when you put them on the stand and on your head.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #19,492 of 25,660
yes, sorry - missed a 0 there :sweat: should be 150,000jpy after shipping: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w428296608

honestly, turned out better than expected, and no longer killing my transformer after readjusting bias; i probably need to replace the caps though (the big 400v ones look a little domey)
Jesus, those things are beat to hell. Just throw a new pair of 007 pads on them. The black on brown is going to be ugly though.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #19,493 of 25,660
Jesus, those things are beat to hell. Just throw a new pair of 007 pads on them. The black on brown is going to be ugly though.
can either spray paint it to brown lol or change the head band assembly to a black one (007A)

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #19,494 of 25,660
yeah, still unsure which way to go. i'd prefer the brown honestly but doesn't seem like you can get any without paying out the wazoo..

i had heard that the 009 earpads fit the 007 fine, but if that's not true then i'll just get the regular 007 pads :thinking:

007 pads are lambskin, not pleather. Also, I never had a problem with the cables, I'm not sure why everyone complains about them but they're fine. Just rotate the cups a little when you put them on the stand and on your head.
my pair's left and right channels both seem to cut out if you pull on them slightly, which is the only reason why i was thinking of recabling it (or at least inspecting the solder joint). but it doesn't bother me either, when i have them pointing a little outward they don't seem to have any issue, even when i'm moving around at my desk.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #19,495 of 25,660
yeah, still unsure which way to go. i'd prefer the brown honestly but doesn't seem like you can get any without paying out the wazoo..

i had heard that the 009 earpads fit the 007 fine, but if that's not true then i'll just get the regular 007 pads :thinking:

my pair's left and right channels both seem to cut out if you pull on them slightly, which is the only reason why i was thinking of recabling it (or at least inspecting the solder joint). but it doesn't bother me either, when i have them pointing a little outward they don't seem to have any issue, even when i'm moving around at my desk.
the 009 pads are much easier to put on the 007 than the 007 pads are. You also don't need the spring with them.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #19,496 of 25,660
i'm not sure if there are other pad options but i had heard the 009 pads sound and feel best, and they're the same price as the 007 pads; i just wish they weren't black since i like the brown and champagne look best
Vesper Audio make custom pad for the 007 in the brown colour.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #19,497 of 25,660
Vesper Audio make custom pad for the 007 in the brown colour.
this is god send i am looking for a pair of new pads for my Sony R10...and here it is

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #19,498 of 25,660
I've bought a lot of pad from them. The quality exceed the original, they even custom the pads for SR-Omega.
Super soft lambskin, memory foam and cool gel, seal is absolute.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #19,499 of 25,660
is the difference in power between stax 007tii and stax 006ts big, and is there a difference in sound

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back