The Stax Thread III
Jan 6, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #18,256 of 25,487
https://audioxpress.com/news/get-the-objective-perspective-on-audio-with-audioxpress-july-2017

It's in that issue
Worth the few bucks to support audioxpress and james

Correct. The SMR-600 has basically the same circuit as the T1 except for using a different tube - ECC99 vs 6CG7. It does have the 5.1k output safety resistors and the 5M bias output resistor which need to be added to the T1. OTOH it lacks the normal bias socket which the T1 has, that allows the T1 to drive the older Stax headphone models.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #18,257 of 25,487
Correct. The SMR-600 has basically the same circuit as the T1 except for using a different tube - ECC99 vs 6CG7. It does have the 5.1k output safety resistors and the 5M bias output resistor which need to be added to the T1. OTOH it lacks the normal bias socket which the T1 has, that allows the T1 to drive the older Stax headphone models.
I have heard that the SRM-600 has a circuit far from the T1. All other tube amplifiers would have a circuit similar to the T1. Therefore, the SRM-600 would be more sensitive and have more interference than the other amplifiers. Above all, the excessive voltage should bad?! Can you confirm that, too? Are the built-in output fuses installed for more safety? Is the SRM-600 with the ECC99 better than a 006tII or a T1 modified with ECC99?

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #18,258 of 25,487
I have no idea where you get your information. Kevin Gilmore has published the circuit of the SRM-600, and the SRM-T1 circuit is also on the web. If you compare the two you will see that they are basically the same circuit except for the change in tubes, and the safety resistors. The 600 has slightly lower plate resistors (30k x 2 vs 33k x 2) which allows a bit more standing current, and the output cathode bias resistors are changed to accommodate this, but otherwise same circuit. I believe the PS of the 600 is a bit more up to date, using regulated low voltages rather than a simple zener diode. I haven't laid eyes on an SRM-600 or a T1 with ECC99 so I have no idea of their comparative sound quality.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #18,259 of 25,487
Thankyou! Woah that is very impressive. I also do not believe that graphs tell the whole story but they at the very least can give me a very rudimentary idea and confirm something isn't completely busted.
You mention on your site that there are 2 different pad choices? Which did you use for the measurement. I am really curious to see how the other pad choice measures as well if that is not asking to much.

Their FRs look similar so I dont post it separately. The sound of stiff pad is more dark, soft and tender than the soft-pad which sounds neutral.
It is interesting that BHSE users reported that they like the stiff pad more with others think the opposite. Might be its charactor balance the bright tone of bhse.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #18,260 of 25,487
Hi everyone!

I recently bought an sr-009s from Woo Audio. It's been simply superb.

I got the 9s with the stax srm-d50 energizer. The d50 is my stopgap until I get a chance to listen to end-game energizers like the carbon cc, bhse and the higher end Woo ones.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can go about choosing between these energizers? I don't think canjams will work for me for making considered assessments. And I definitely don't want to buy $20k worth of energizers with the intention of keeping only one.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #18,261 of 25,487
Hi everyone!

I got the 9s with the stax srm-d50 energizer. The d50 is my stopgap until I get a chance to listen to end-game energizers like the carbon cc, bhse and the higher end Woo ones.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can go about choosing between these energizers? I don't think canjams will work for me for making considered assessments. And I definitely don't want to buy $20k worth of energizers with the intention of keeping only one.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Depending on where you are you might be able to go to a local meet or some one here may be close to you and willing to invite you over? I ended up going to multiple canjams and multiple meets before I decided which one I wanted to buy.:o2smile:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #18,263 of 25,487
Hi everyone!

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I recommend you to look for KGsshv Carbon amplifier.

It has good balance of treble and bass.

Sometimes you can find used one at bargain.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #18,264 of 25,487
I have no idea where you get your information. Kevin Gilmore has published the circuit of the SRM-600, and the SRM-T1 circuit is also on the web. If you compare the two you will see that they are basically the same circuit except for the change in tubes, and the safety resistors. The 600 has slightly lower plate resistors (30k x 2 vs 33k x 2) which allows a bit more standing current, and the output cathode bias resistors are changed to accommodate this, but otherwise same circuit. I believe the PS of the 600 is a bit more up to date, using regulated low voltages rather than a simple zener diode. I haven't laid eyes on an SRM-600 or a T1 with ECC99 so I have no idea of their comparative sound quality.
Do you have a link who Kevin Gilmore has published the circuit of the SRM-600?
I can‘t find nothing about that....in the Internet.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #18,266 of 25,487
This is a link to KG's public files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7egryukiT7_TFlEQlBRejdVdDQ

Includes his designs, schematics of some other's designs, etc. I think the SRM-600 schematic is somewhere in there but I haven't looked recently. Just the amp circuit, though IIRC, not the PS, which is probably very similar if not identical to the SRM-007T PS - that is, passive RC bipolar HV and bipolar LV supply using 78/79 series IC regs. The public version of the T1 schematic found on the internet is reproduced in my AudioXpress article.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #18,267 of 25,487
Hello!

A question for the Masters of the Dark Headphone arts.

I would like to listen to my 300b SET speaker amplifier through STAX headphones. The rest of the system is a vinyl rig and a tube preamp. Goal is to replace my Altec speakers to give the neighbors a break. Does using the WOO WEE device preserve the original sound of the power amplifier? What can I expect to hear? All opinions and advice very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #18,268 of 25,487
Hello!

A question for the Masters of the Dark Headphone arts.

I would like to listen to my 300b SET speaker amplifier through STAX headphones. The rest of the system is a vinyl rig and a tube preamp. Goal is to replace my Altec speakers to give the neighbors a break. Does using the WOO WEE device preserve the original sound of the power amplifier? What can I expect to hear? All opinions and advice very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Spritzer (Mjolnir Audio) has a modded SRD-7 E-stat transformer energizer that is more recommended over the Woo Wee. He also just came out with a new one that uses a higher quality Lundahl transformer that I'd like to try out but is quite a bit pricier than the modded SRD-7.

https://mjolnir-audio.com/products/ ....scroll to bottom...

With the SRD-7 and my NAD C275BEE stereo amp, I'm getting really nice low end and full sounding mids compared to any STAX SS driver. The NAD C275BEE still has its character with my L300 Limiteds that it has with my Polk Audio RTiA5 speakers.... very prominent low end presence with really clean and punchy midbass, full mids that feel really detailed but would like just a little more fleshed out, and nicely detailed and energetic treble...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back