The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,441 of 1,866
Well I got a L500 (MKII) today in the hopes that it would provide a more mid forward sound than the 009S but my initial impressions are that it doesn't do that that much but just has this brighter/thinner sound. I don't necessarily even mind the thinness so much, but it's too bright (now I know I made the right choice between 009S over 009 lol).

I already put it up for sale, maybe I'll listen a bit more see if it grows on me, but my first impressions usually tell me what I need to know.

For reference, this is what I think of the Stax I own:
  • 009S: this would be perfect it was just a little less bright and the midrange was more forward/intimate
  • Ω: a little too dark but otherwise very similar to the 009S (probably the best timbre)
  • L500 MKII: just too bright
Is there any Lambda out there that would match what I'm looking for in terms of beautiful natural midrange (I can deal with sacrificing lows/highs/soundstage as compared to the 009S)? If I'm going vintage I'm mostly interested in "old Stax" before 1995 bankruptcy so the normal bias SR-Λ or the Lambda Signature or maybe one of the Lambda Nova series? From what I've read the Lambda Pro is not what I need. What is this Lambda Spirit thing? Perhaps I shoulda went for the L700?

Basically I'm looking for a Stax with a midrange/vocals as close as possible to the R10 or even CD3000. Is the Ω the best it gets? I'm honestly scared to use that janky ass phone lol

Oh and I have the T1S and now the 353X as driver units. Would like to eventually get rid of one of them (ideally get rid of the T1S as it's fatter and I use Stax on my nightstand on top of my CD player and space is limited)

Mr. Speakers Voce?

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,442 of 1,866
L700mk2 version which I think has lost some of the midrange magic in pursuit of greater range.
Would you say less midrange magic + greater range = great for orchestral music? I returned my 95X for making too many noises. If the new pair has the same problem, I've pretty much decided on the L700MK2. I'd just like to know if anyone has experienced static, squealing and/or other issues with the L700MK2.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,443 of 1,866
Would you say less midrange magic + greater range = great for orchestral music? I returned my 95X for making too many noises. If the new pair has the same problem, I've pretty much decided on the L700MK2. I'd just like to know if anyone has experienced static, squealing and/or other issues with the L700MK2.
Yes I would likely agree. Probably better suited for full range orchestral pieces that usually extend in the ranges rather than smaller intimate 3 to 4 piece ensembles for instance, but when a solos comes up you might miss some Intended delineation resulting in a somewhat homogenized presentation. As for my experience with My L700 the original version, I’ve never had these so called noise issues, so I would guess not an issue with the mk2 version either.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,445 of 1,866
Yes I would likely agree. Probably better suited for full range orchestral pieces that usually extend in the ranges rather than smaller intimate 3 to 4 piece ensembles for instance, but when a solos comes up you might miss some Intended delineation resulting in a somewhat homogenized presentation. As for my experience with My L700 the original version, I’ve never had these so called noise issues, so I would guess not an issue with the mk2 version either.
Sorry for the slight deviation - I hope it's interesting to some of you.

I auditioned several headphones in late February (5+ hours) including Audeze LCD 4s, Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE1000SE and Stax L700/SRM006ts combo. These were auditioned at my favourite hi-fi shop with my own equipment (taken with me)

My source equipment was Innuos Mini Server / Linear PSU, optical TOSLink connection to Chord Hugo Mscaler (Linear PSU), Dual BNC to Chord Hugo 2 (Linear PSU). I am satisfied that this is a good source setup with little RFI and powered well.

The non Stax headphones were tested via headphone out on the Hugo 2. The Stax SRM 006ts was connected by good quality short interconnects to the Hugo 2.

I brought my HD800(SDR modded and Heimdall cabled) along for comparison too. Based on my research I had expected to pick up the Utopias after the audition. The Stax equipment was not on my audition list until the dealer recommended a listen.

My recollection based on memory of the audition is that none of auditioned dynamic headphones stuck out as a huge improvement on my HD800. They all offered some differences (LCD bass, HE1000 soundscape etc) but all suffered in comparison to my HD800.

The dealer had been warming up the Stax energiser while I auditioned the dynamics and in the last hours of the demo he connected my Hugo 2 to the Stax system.

I had been listening to tracks that I was very familiar with (mixture of Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Bob Dylan, Orchestral, Jazz, Rock). When I played the 1st track (I think it was Ella Fitzgerald) through the l700 system I experienced an emotional rush that many people have ascribed to Stax headspeakers, quite unlike any of the dynamic headphones. I'm not sure if it's Stax or tubes or energiser but it was quite unlike anything else I had listened to in the audition. There was an intimacy to the sound that was very engaging and stirring. In comparison, the dynamic headphones were flatter emotionally. I sat and listened all the way through the track because of this.

I apologise for the lack of specifics, these are my memories from February. I ordered the Stax system back then and after a lengthy delay due to lockdown I am set to receive it next week. I hope it lives up to my memories.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,447 of 1,866
About two years ago I picked up an SRS-2170 BNIB and have been enjoying the startling realism it offers ever since ... well intermittently than continuously, as I have way too many headphones. Along the way, I also picked up a set of "New" SR3 and SRD-5. These are in need of some TLC - the drivers need antistatic treatment, and it seems to have two identical baffles, instead of mirrored pieces for left and right.

So along comes a Covid-induced distress sale of BNIB SRS-5100, and after vacillating for months I pulled the trigger. At the same time, a mate of mine lucked onto an L700 and 353x. Lots of combinations to experiment with ... 252 / 353x and 207 / L500 / L700. Looking forward to some comparative listening in weeks to come. If anyone has specific questions I'd gladly post some impressions.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,450 of 1,866
About two years ago I picked up an SRS-2170 BNIB and have been enjoying the startling realism it offers ever since ... well intermittently than continuously, as I have way too many headphones. Along the way, I also picked up a set of "New" SR3 and SRD-5. These are in need of some TLC - the drivers need antistatic treatment, and it seems to have two identical baffles, instead of mirrored pieces for left and right.

So along comes a Covid-induced distress sale of BNIB SRS-5100, and after vacillating for months I pulled the trigger. At the same time, a mate of mine lucked onto an L700 and 353x. Lots of combinations to experiment with ... 252 / 353x and 207 / L500 / L700. Looking forward to some comparative listening in weeks to come. If anyone has specific questions I'd gladly post some impressions.
Look forward to this comparison. It’s unfortunate the 007tll, a tube unit, will not be in the comparison testing. After hearing the 007tll on the L700, which I think is more so on the bright side of the three in the L series seems to me to be the perfect match. Is the 353x more analytical yes but seems to be more voiced for the L500. Now there is no doubt the combo of the L700 & 007tll do retail for considerable more so one needs to consider price to perform ratios. Just my opinion based on listening, others may feel different as hearing and more importantly listening is subjective.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,451 of 1,866
The L700 have arrived! a welcome arrival to break the boredom of our lockdown (we are currently living under some of the strictest lockdowns in the world here in Melbourne, trying to suppress our 2nd wave). The L700 is now sitting right next to the HD800S and LCD-XC to complete my main home trio of a full-range headphone system.

My setup allows me to play different headphones simultaneously out of the same source, so there was a lot of back and forth today, especially with the HD800S,

Some initial thoughts - all 3 headphones are so detailed that you can relatively easily guesstimate the frequency response just from listening to songs I know very well and notice which particular instruments are more detailed on each headphone - i.e. a certain song has the sound of a tambourine hitting a table which is very clear in the 800S but not as clear in the L700 and even less so on the XC, and then some background voices that sounded clearer on the L700.

Clearly I still need a lot of time with the L700 before I can do a more proper comparisons, and before I am as familiar with the specific sound traits. I've had the 800S for almost 3 years, and the XC for 6 months (though has been used almost exclusively since then).

Will post more as I go...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,452 of 1,866
Are the L500 and L700 that different?
If you are interested in L500, just buy L300 and purchase the L500 pads separately.
That way you will have both L300 and L500 available - the only differences between L300 and L500 are the pads and the headband.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,453 of 1,866
Just bought L500s second hand. They looked in good condition when I bought them (other than some pad wear) but having closely inspected them now under bright light I can see that there are 2 tiny holes in the dust covers under the plastic grilles on the outer side. The holes are about 2-3mm and there is one on each side and are almost imperceptible. I've not had a chance to test earspeakers are working correctly yet but will do so in the next few days, so maybe this will be moot but I'm wondering if these small holes will be a problem if the headphones are otherwise working fine. I'm not sure how long the holes have been there or under what conditions the headphones were previously used. Will it be a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back