The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #1,471 of 1,866
Does the Lambda stuff (esp. the L700) have more realistic staging compared to the HD800? The instruments/sounds are a bit too spread out on the HD800 or stretched in a way that gives you less clarity overall. It seems that a lot of people still find the HD800 to have more depth but if that's the case, maybe the L700 has less aggressive upper treble (the region of the treble that enhances depth) which I would also prefer.
Yes, that's right. That's a good description. The L700 plays the music more realistically than the HD800. First of all, I find it very difficult to find a suitable headphone amplifier for the HD800 and then the highs are still very sharp and ugly. The lows and bass are ok, but other headphones can sometimes do better. The spatial width is very good, but a little unnatural. The L700 can do everything better. Even the L500 can do better. I would have sold the HD800 long ago if it weren't to be advertised as reference headphones everywhere.

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #1,472 of 1,866
I've now had my l700 / 006ts Kimik for two weeks.

To be honest for the first week I thought I'd made a mistake (despite a days audition back in February). The sound quality varied between ok and not good (certainly not what I remembered before ordering), sometimes nasal, sometimes blurred and not accurate. Nowhere near the quality of my HD800s.

It's only in the past two days (leaving the energiser switched on) that I'm now hearing music that I don't want to track skip. The blurriness has gone completely and spatial clarity is in the mix. It now sounds like an improvement in detail and realty than the HD800.

Is my experience normal?

Adrian

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,473 of 1,866

To be honest for the first week I thought I'd made a mistake (despite a days audition back in February). The sound quality varied between ok and not good (certainly not what I remembered before ordering), sometimes nasal, sometimes blurred and not accurate. Nowhere near the quality of my HD800s.

It's only in the past two days (leaving the energiser switched on) that I'm now hearing music that I don't want to track skip. The blurriness has gone completely and spatial clarity is in the mix. It now sounds like an improvement in detail and realty than the HD800.

Is my experience normal?

Adrian
Any concerns leaving the 006ts on 24/7? Or do you plan on going on/off after a full break in period is complete? Though in the case of these tubes Stax energizers, the tubes are not used as power tubes I believe, so it might not be a problem other than using them up faster? As I do own the 007tll myself, I’d like to hear from others that can offer a personal view on this topic.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,474 of 1,866

Is my experience normal?

Adrian
I would chalk that up to changes in my own hearing. Headphones on the same source don't sound the same to me from one day to another. My hearing isn't the same. It changes based on mood, the sleep I had the previous night, time of day, etc.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #1,475 of 1,866
Any concerns leaving the 006ts on 24/7? Or do you plan on going on/off after a full break in period is complete? Though in the case of these tubes Stax energizers, the tubes are not used as power tubes I believe, so it might not be a problem other than using them up faster? As I do own the 007tll myself, I’d like to hear from others that can offer a personal view on this topic.

I've have used tube amps for many years without any problems but I recognise the potential dangers from the 'heating element' nature of the technology. My equipment is placed away from combustible materials and has 2 meters of air space above (to the ceiling). I've never had a problem with tubes (even power amps) and the heat produced by energisers is so low that I am not worried. Sensible precautions aside of course!

Ade

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #1,476 of 1,866
I would chalk that up to changes in my own hearing. Headphones on the same source don't sound the same to me from one day to another. My hearing isn't the same. It changes based on mood, the sleep I had the previous night, time of day, etc.
I've noticed the changes in sound but assumed they were due to tube warm up and possibly reduction in RFI late at night.

I'm sure that mood and sleep have a major impact too.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,477 of 1,866
I've noticed the changes in sound but assumed they were due to tube warm up and possibly reduction in RFI late at night.

I'm sure that mood and sleep have a major impact too.
I have heard similar things myself, but it is really hard to confirm it, unless I have two identical amps to switch in between.

I have been running the 727 with headphones (under dust cover) for 5 days non-stop.
Today I turned everything off, and turned it back about half an hour later after cool-down, and waited another half an hour before I put on the same music.
When it was running non-stop, I heard a slightly brighter and more open (wider) sound.

I discharge the headphones before I put the headphones away and I think when it was powered for days, I heard a bigger pop when I did that.
So even though the charge-up is instant after plugging in the headphones, it may still have some kind of effect.

Or maybe all this is just placebo and if I had waited a just few more hours, the amp could have been properly warmed up, I don't know. But the placebo effect is even greater in that case, maybe at some point I will have yet another loaner 727 and repeat the test in a more controlled manner :)

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,479 of 1,866

Is my experience normal?

Adrian
A further update. Despite the improvements I wasn't happy that the sound from my Stax was close to what I remembered even though I took my system with me for the audition.

While looking at my Chord Hugo 2 it suddenly occured to me that I had borrowed the analogue interconnects to try out the Stax Earspeakers at the audition. I needed to use some phono adaptors as the interconnect cable plugs were too thick for the sockets on the H2.

After playing with the interconnect cables for a while I realised I could unscrew and remove the outer sheath if the plug and that made them narrow enough to use with the H2 phono sockets directly without the adaptors. Wow - I found the cause of the problem, everything in the sound has come to life. This is what I was expecting. The Stax are staying - and are my no.1 option.

I am very pleased, I knew that there was an issue but couldn't work out quite what it was.

Ade

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,480 of 1,866
After playing with the interconnect cables for a while I realised I could unscrew and remove the outer sheath if the plug and that made them narrow enough to use with the H2 phono sockets directly without the adaptors. Wow - I found the cause of the problem, everything in the sound has come to life. This is what I was expecting. The Stax are staying - and are my no.1 option.
Congratulations!
If possible, a photo, for a complete understanding of the solution to the problem.
Thank!

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,481 of 1,866
A further update. Despite the improvements I wasn't happy that the sound from my Stax was close to what I remembered even though I took my system with me for the audition.

While looking at my Chord Hugo 2 it suddenly occured to me that I had borrowed the analogue interconnects to try out the Stax Earspeakers at the audition. I needed to use some phono adaptors as the interconnect cable plugs were too thick for the sockets on the H2.

I am very pleased, I knew that there was an issue but couldn't work out quite what it was.

Ade
Less outer sheathing will likely have an effect of less attenuation, that‘s what you might be hearing. I’ve always felt that interconnect cables, especially the big expensive complex designs act like tone controls in most cases. Nothing like a simple silver or copper cable to just give you what it gets in transfer.

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,482 of 1,866

Ade
Hi, I couldn't imagine anyone not liking these headphones with amp either. It all makes sense now. I wish you a lot of fun and enjoyment!

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,484 of 1,866
Congratulations!
If possible, a photo, for a complete understanding of the solution to the problem.
Thank!

See below. Because of the Hugo 2 casing I needed to use an adaptor to narrow the plug width. Removing the metal sheathing from the plug on the left means that I can insert the RCA directly into the Hugo 2 socket. (In the image, the adaptor is the lumpy extension at the end of the metal covered plug)

Ade

IMG_20200912_193618.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,485 of 1,866
Less outer sheathing will likely have an effect of less attenuation, that‘s what you might be hearing. I’ve always felt that interconnect cables, especially the big expensive complex designs act like tone controls in most cases. Nothing like a simple silver or copper cable to just give you what it gets in transfer.

Thanks for this info. I removed the plug sheathing (solid metal cover) rather than the cable sheathing - I've attached a photo to a subsequent post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back