The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #1,426 of 1,866
So it's fully compatible? The only real difference between the MKI and MKII then are the removable cables?
Yes. I don't know if there is any other difference apart from the cables, they may have changed foam density in the pads or something else, but nothing that is apparent apart from the colour of the logo (silver instead of gold).

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,427 of 1,866
I have an unusual problem. It seems impossible to mount new pads on L700: I follow the simple instructions provided in the package (they are original spares) but the pins simply do not stay firmly into the holes of the cup and so the pads slip off. Tried many times. both left and right, with no result. I compared new pads with old ones: no difference, :they are identical but only the latters fit perfectly.
Can anybody help me?

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,428 of 1,866
I received the same answer from the local distributor but after my daughter broke the plastic case holder again and after staring at the pictures showing the connection between the case holder and the headband for some time, I decided to order MKII case holders. They are a direct replacement and came with new screw sets (screw, o-ring, washers and tube). Even the screws and washers are the same, the only difference is the small tube that is placed inside the plastic mounting piece that attaches to the headband, which is 1 or 2 mm longer.

This Is good information for those of us that own 700s. Thank you!

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #1,429 of 1,866
I have an unusual problem. It seems impossible to mount new pads on L700: I follow the simple instructions provided in the package (they are original spares) but the pins simply do not stay firmly into the holes of the cup and so the pads slip off. Tried many times. both left and right, with no result. I compared new pads with old ones: no difference, :they are identical but only the latters fit perfectly.
Can anybody help me?

Maybe try the slightest amounts of Blue Tac possible in the pin holes.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #1,431 of 1,866
Review from HeadAmp website;

“With improved bass response and a tamed treble peak relative to the original SR-009, the SR-009S is STAX's latest effort to produce the world’s best headphone. With updated drivers, pads, and other housing pieces, the SR-009S is a step forward while still retaining much of the character of the original. We recommend our Blue Hawaii SE amplifier for the highest level of performance possible from these amazing headphones.”

So last year I had a chance to hear both SR009 and SR009s from Justin of HeadAmps set up many times, we both attend a few Meets

An from hearing both off the same system I can say I felt like SR009s was both bassier and darker... very much like HD800s is a "warmer" HD 800. An frankly I still prefer the original SR 009 to the s variant

That said, I'm picking up a modded SRM 007tA from you can guess who lol and I'm getting it for my ESP 95X as I LOVE that headphone so much

Anyways, since I'm going all in on an amp I figured I might as well get an actual Stax headphone too. While I'd like to find a 009 second hand for $1500, I might see if I can't get a 700 MK2 as it seems the better fit is making the bass response well better! So here's to hoping!

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,432 of 1,866
So last year I had a chance to hear both SR009 and SR009s from Justin of HeadAmps set up many times, we both attend a few Meets

An from hearing both off the same system I can say I felt like SR009s was both bassier and darker... very much like HD800s is a "warmer" HD 800. An frankly I still prefer the original SR 009 to the s variant

That said, I'm picking up a modded SRM 007tA from you can guess who lol and I'm getting it for my ESP 95X as I LOVE that headphone so much

Anyways, since I'm going all in on an amp I figured I might as well get an actual Stax headphone too. While I'd like to find a 009 second hand for $1500, I might see if I can't get a 700 MK2 as it seems the better fit is making the bass response well better! So here's to hoping!

Birgir? 😜

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #1,433 of 1,866
Nooot telling!!!!!

Well the for sales are up so the quest begins I really do think having a nice Stax will compliment the somewhat darker Koss 95X

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #1,434 of 1,866
Well I got a L500 (MKII) today in the hopes that it would provide a more mid forward sound than the 009S but my initial impressions are that it doesn't do that that much but just has this brighter/thinner sound. I don't necessarily even mind the thinness so much, but it's too bright (now I know I made the right choice between 009S over 009 lol).

I already put it up for sale, maybe I'll listen a bit more see if it grows on me, but my first impressions usually tell me what I need to know.

For reference, this is what I think of the Stax I own:
  • 009S: this would be perfect it was just a little less bright and the midrange was more forward/intimate
  • Ω: a little too dark but otherwise very similar to the 009S (probably the best timbre)
  • L500 MKII: just too bright
Is there any Lambda out there that would match what I'm looking for in terms of beautiful natural midrange (I can deal with sacrificing lows/highs/soundstage as compared to the 009S)? If I'm going vintage I'm mostly interested in "old Stax" before 1995 bankruptcy so the normal bias SR-Λ or the Lambda Signature or maybe one of the Lambda Nova series? From what I've read the Lambda Pro is not what I need. What is this Lambda Spirit thing? Perhaps I shoulda went for the L700?

Basically I'm looking for a Stax with a midrange/vocals as close as possible to the R10 or even CD3000. Is the Ω the best it gets? I'm honestly scared to use that janky ass phone lol

Oh and I have the T1S and now the 353X as driver units. Would like to eventually get rid of one of them (ideally get rid of the T1S as it's fatter and I use Stax on my nightstand on top of my CD player and space is limited)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,436 of 1,866
Well I got a L500 (MKII) today in the hopes that it would provide a more mid forward sound than the 009S but my initial impressions are that it doesn't do that that much but just has this brighter/thinner sound. I don't necessarily even mind the thinness so much, but it's too bright (now I know I made the right choice between 009S over 009 lol).

I already put it up for sale, maybe I'll listen a bit more see if it grows on me, but my first impressions usually tell me what I need to know.

For reference, this is what I think of the Stax I own:
  • 009S: this would be perfect it was just a little less bright and the midrange was more forward/intimate
  • Ω: a little too dark but otherwise very similar to the 009S (probably the best timbre)
  • L500 MKII: just too bright
Is there any Lambda out there that would match what I'm looking for in terms of beautiful natural midrange (I can deal with sacrificing lows/highs/soundstage as compared to the 009S)? If I'm going vintage I'm mostly interested in "old Stax" before 1995 bankruptcy so the normal bias SR-Λ or the Lambda Signature or maybe one of the Lambda Nova series? From what I've read the Lambda Pro is not what I need. What is this Lambda Spirit thing? Perhaps I shoulda went for the L700?

Basically I'm looking for a Stax with a midrange/vocals as close as possible to the R10 or even CD3000. Is the Ω the best it gets? I'm honestly scared to use that janky ass phone lol

Oh and I have the T1S and now the 353X as driver units. Would like to eventually get rid of one of them (ideally get rid of the T1S as it's fatter and I use Stax on my nightstand on top of my CD player and space is limited)
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I really like my L700 but I haven't compared them to other STAX headphones so I couldn't say whether you'd like them.

You could also "take one for the team" by getting the Perun electrostatic headphones and telling us how it goes :D

I've been tempted to buy them but they're not cheap ($1200 plus shipping from Russia) and there isn't much information on their website or elsewhere. There's a Head-Fi thread though where the few people who own them have praised them a lot: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/perun-electrostatic-headphone-impressions.872273/

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,437 of 1,866
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I really like my L700 but I haven't compared them to other STAX headphones so I couldn't say whether you'd like them.

You could also "take one for the team" by getting the Perun electrostatic headphones and telling us how it goes :D

I've been tempted to buy them but they're not cheap ($1200 plus shipping from Russia) and there isn't much information on their website or elsewhere. There's a Head-Fi thread though where the few people who own them have praised them a lot: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/perun-electrostatic-headphone-impressions.872273/
Strange enough, their retro looks appeals to me, go figure?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,438 of 1,866
I mean I may reach out to Perun when my SRM007tA CCS Modded amp arrives and see what there can be seen, I could technically just buy one but I'm still on the hunt for my 009.

But I do think for my tastes, Tube Stax, is the way I want to go tho I have heard 007 mk 2.9 is nice on those CC Carbons

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,439 of 1,866
The Perun is interesting, I've seen a lot of you Stax lovers jump on that. I'm still mostly invested in Stax for now though.

Basically I'm really hoping to consolidate and was hoping that the L500 would be good enough/better suited for my preferences to get rid of the 009S (and the Omega is really a vanity product I don't expect to keep it around lol).

Oh, and don't get me wrong, the L500 is a great phone, gives you that Stax sound and isn't that far from the 009S technicality wise. Really the biggest difference is the soundstage/imaging/layering is better on the 009S, as is the bass extension and detail.

I guess I was just kinda hoping that it would be better fit for me than the 009S but I don't think it is, and now I still have an itch for a better Lambda that will help me sell off all my other Stax phones. I sort of want to get out of this game with just the CD3000 and a single (ideally cheap) Stax phone. I actually was out of the game for a while too, this is my first big headphone purchase in close to a year lol

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,440 of 1,866
Recently bought a pair of 95X as my first estat. Phenomenal sound but plagued by intermittent staticky noises and squealing. Sometimes it sounds like a strong wind is blowing through the right ear cup. Does the L700 ever suffer from these problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back