The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #197 of 1,866
I had a listening session at a dealer yesterday. Was using the 353X amp with a L500 and a 507 connected to the amp at the same time.  I am not sure if connecting both at the same times does impact the sound from each of the units. I did not think to test it out till I left the store.

But what I found was that they seem to be voiced quite differently. The 507 has a much better air and treble presence compared to the L500. The L500 sounds almost closed in like a closed headphone compared to a open one by comparision.  The 507 treble could sound a little hot to my ears at time though. This closed in effect does seem impact the L500 when compared directly to the 507.  The low end seems a little more similar. But the L500 seems to have a little more low end weight/feel and deeper. While the 507 bass especially mid bass seems to have more impact. 

If the L500 is to replace the 507, I would say grab the 507 if thats your type of sound. It could be that the L500 is still rather new and not totally burned in. While the demo 507 has been around and audition for years. Is what I am hearing similar to those who have auditioned both?

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #198 of 1,866
Quick question on SR-L700 comfort - are the cups identical / very similar to the 507? The 507's were never very comfortable for me, my ear had too much contact with the earcups - the 007/009s are a much better fit for me. Is the "depth" of the ear pad similar to the 507?

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #201 of 1,866

My first foray into electrostatic headphones and I am not disappointed at all. I have heard a few estats in the past but I’ve never had anything for extended listening. This was a blind buy as I was curious with estats and considering that it was the same price as the old can I have sold (the Ether open), I decided to take a gamble and I am pleasantly surprised. They are very clean and nimble to the point that they might not even have any personality with them. They lack the soundstage that the HD800 has but they are fully neutral along with having insane amount of detail. There is a lack of subbass though I am still trying to figure this out since it might just be a seal issue from my end. Add in the fact that I have long hair (girl), they may not be sealing properly. My only complaint about them is that they can be too quick for others that they’re considered too light but I do not regret owning the L700 at all. I can see how people get addicted to the STAX sound.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #202 of 1,866

My first foray into electrostatic headphones and I am not disappointed at all. I have heard a few estats in the past but I’ve never had anything for extended listening. This was a blind buy as I was curious with estats and considering that it was the same price as the old can I have sold (the Ether open), I decided to take a gamble and I am pleasantly surprised. They are very clean and nimble to the point that they might not even have any personality with them. They lack the soundstage that the HD800 has but they are fully neutral along with having insane amount of detail. There is a lack of subbass though I am still trying to figure this out since it might just be a seal issue from my end. Add in the fact that I have long hair (girl), they may not be sealing properly. My only complaint about them is that they can be too quick for others that they’re considered too light but I do not regret owning the L700 at all. I can see how people get addicted to the STAX sound.

I just returned my Ether open a few days ago, it was a little too bright for me(I found it slightly fatiguing, I have somewhat sensitive ears). How would you compare the L700 to the Ether as far as sound signature goes?

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #203 of 1,866
anyone compared l700 vs l500?

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #204 of 1,866
I went to CanJam on Sunday and heard the L-700 with the 006tS amp at the Stax exhibit.  It was one of the best I've ever heard and it will probably be my retirement gift to myself in a few years.  I also heard the SR009 and BHSE at the HeadAmp exhibit.  It was easy the hear why people say it's the most transparent amp you can buy.  The amp and hp is virtually invisible but it's not to my taste.  It sounds very dry and sterile.  Maybe it's the 009.  Many people prefer the 007 but they didn't have one available to listen to.  Anyway, the L-700 is the one for me. BTW, I also heard the Hifiman Shangri La.  It's a very good combo but if it's more than $2,500 it's not worth it.  I think the L-700 is still superior.  The Mr. Speakers Ether E was also there.  It sounded almost the same as the Ether open back, but it's still a work in progress.         

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #205 of 1,866
  anyone compared l700 vs l500?

At SoCal CanJam last weekend, I didn't exactly listen to the L500 but I did listen to the SR-507 and the L700. I think this should be relevant to what you are asking since it seems like the L500 is a revised SR-507 with the same drivers but with a slightly different housing.

Basically, the L700 and the SR-507 sound very similar in terms of overall tonality, but the L700 is obviously more detailed and more refined (notes are smoother and less rough, but yet still highly detailed). The L700 also seems to have a bit more bass too. Soundstage width and depth are about the same between the SR-507 and the L700, but I felt like the L700 imaged better.

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #206 of 1,866
I would rate the new SR-L500 on the same level like the SR-507 and i think also that there drivers are different. The SR-507 has a higher transparency and resolution and a little more bass impact. On the other side the SR-L500 has a more natural, balanced, non fatiguing sound signature. The SR-L700 is for me definitly superior to both models, more refined with a very balanced, natural sound signature and very high resolution.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #207 of 1,866
  I would rate the new SR-L500 on the same level like the SR-507 and i think also that there drivers are different. The SR-507 has a higher transparency and resolution and a little more bass impact. On the other side the SR-L500 has a more natural, balanced, non fatiguing sound signature. The SR-L700 is for me definitly superior to both models, more refined with a very balanced, natural sound signature and very high resolution.

I at first thought that the L500 and the SR-507 shared the same drivers, but after reading luvmusik's quote more carefully (shown below), I think you may be right about the two models having different drivers. Anyways, it seems that most people agree that the L500 and the SR-507 don't sound exactly the same.

But yes, I do agree that the L700 is obviously better than the SR-507, and definitely sounds much closer to the SR-009. The L700 is probably one of the better values in Stax's current headphone lineup.

I wrote to STAX directly regarding the differences of : SR-L500, SR-L700 and SR-507 all comparatively. Here is their answer quoted:

"The SR-507 and SR-L500 are rather similar. The major difference is the outer housing has been re-designed along with the earpad and how they mount. (first design change since the 70's) The angle of the sound panel are slightly different and the cable switched from silver plated copper to Hitachi's new HiFC cable. The SR-507 will be discontinuing in a few months and replaced by SR-L500 sometime next year".

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #208 of 1,866
Just an update - Stax is also releasing an entry Lambda SR-L300 in 2 weeks. Not to sidetrack thread, only mentioning it here because as yet there is no dedicated L300 thread, but surely will be in time.

For those wary of dipping toe into stats due to price, it may be the model to start with & is a brand new Lambda. Believe they will sell it seperately or also as a package with 252 amp. The general Stax thread mentions it.

Recall my true-stat start was both a classic Lambda Normal Bias with SRD-7SB and also Basic System II (SRS-2020) - the SR-202 with humble SRM-212, after having a SR-30 Pro/SRD-4 (SR-34 kit) electret new, back in late 1980's. Still have those, but since then the snowball has kept rolling and gathering more snow as it grew larger, with the sound moving uphill, (and wallet rolling the opposite direction) !

SR-L700 is in sights for a far-future purchase, hopefully used, someday.

Still hoping for any comparisons or reviews of SR-L700 to Airbow/Stax SR-SC11, Stax SR-404 LE (Ltd, Limited Edition), SR-Lambda Nova Signature and Koss ESP-950 (lambda design).

Has anyone owned any of the last 4 models listed above and also the new L700 to fill us in comparatively ?

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #210 of 1,866
Some in this forum have advocated the KGST as a great match, but at about triple the price.  The 006 was used at the recent CanJam Socal STAX demo.
The 323 is probable best cost to performance ratio.  I use one now for the 207, and intend to get an L700.  Another thought is a used 727 with the Spritzer mod. Kevin Gilmore himself has said that it is "similar" to his KGSSHV design.  Hope this helps, Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back